Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=2661:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:46 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 10:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A very generous owner would be nice, with all the money we owe these guys in the coming years. Still, I don't think that will prevent Hendry from making the deal. It's just a matter of finding somebody to take Marquis' contract. Come on Rockies, step up.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They were saying he could up payroll if he cut some by the start of the season. So I don't think trading Marquis is a MUST, but I think it would help alot.

Also, I found this interesting.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Only the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano, with 96 wins, has more than Peavy's 86 in their age group. Zambrano is younger than Peavy by one day<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

From Angels.com

"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
i can't believe this might actually happen.

i've been too busy to pay attention but wasn't hendry saying we couldn't get peavy and sign dempster?

what happened to that?
<!--quoteo(post=2669:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:58 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Dec 8 2008, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i can't believe this might actually happen.

i've been too busy to pay attention but wasn't hendry saying we couldn't get peavy and sign dempster?

what happened to that?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I think it was mostly Lou doing the talking, but Hendry has been pretty tight-lipped about all of this just saying that he's going to do whatever he can to improve the ball club, if the opportunity presents itself.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->11:02pm: Jim Salisbury backs up the idea that the Phils could receive DeRosa and the Padres could get Happ. It's worth noting that the Cubs could trim $5.5MM off the payroll by sending out DeRosa and using Fontenot at second base.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2673:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:12 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->11:02pm: Jim Salisbury backs up the idea that the Phils could receive DeRosa and the Padres could get Happ. It's worth noting that the Cubs could trim $5.5MM off the payroll by sending out DeRosa and using Fontenot at second base.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

We had better be getting Roberts too then.
<!--quoteo(post=2674:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:13 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 8 2008, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2673:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:12 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->11:02pm: Jim Salisbury backs up the idea that the Phils could receive DeRosa and the Padres could get Happ. It's worth noting that the Cubs could trim $5.5MM off the payroll by sending out DeRosa and using Fontenot at second base.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would seriously hope so.

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2663:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:50 PM:name=Captain)-->QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 8 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still see the Angels swooping in and delaying any deal.
The Brewers could do it too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Remember, Peavy has control over where he goes. I could see him saying OK to the Angels possibly, but no way he OK's the Brewers.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=2674:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:13 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Dec 8 2008, 11:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2673:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:12 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 10:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->11:02pm: Jim Salisbury backs up the idea that the Phils could receive DeRosa and the Padres could get Happ. It's worth noting that the Cubs could trim $5.5MM off the payroll by sending out DeRosa and using Fontenot at second base.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not if the 5.5 million savings is the reason we are doing it.

I like Fontenot much more than before, but I am NOT sold an a middle of the diamond consisting of Theriot, Fontenot and Fukudome.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
maybe it's just me but i wouldn't mind seeing dero go if we got peavy in return.

fontenot was solid in limiting playing time last year...why not give him a shot?

the biggest problem is the leadership factor but that could be slightly overrated.
<!--quoteo(post=2681:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:24 PM:name=phan)-->QUOTE (phan @ Dec 8 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->maybe it's just me but i wouldn't mind seeing dero go if we got peavy in return.

fontenot was solid in limiting playing time last year...why not give him a shot?

the biggest problem is the leadership factor but that could be slightly overrated.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's the thing, phan. LIMITED play time. I think his numbers would drop drastically if he started 150+ games.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=2685:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:36 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Dec 8 2008, 11:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2681:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:24 PM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Dec 8 2008, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->maybe it's just me but i wouldn't mind seeing dero go if we got peavy in return.

the biggest problem is the leadership factor but that could be slightly overrated.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's the thing, phan. LIMITED play time. I think his numbers would drop drastically if he started 150+ games.

[Image: 6437.jpg]

That's what they used to say about me
<!--quoteo(post=2677:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:20 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2663:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:50 PM:name=Captain)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Captain @ Dec 8 2008, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still see the Angels swooping in and delaying any deal.
The Brewers could do it too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Remember, Peavy has control over where he goes. I could see him saying OK to the Angels possibly, but no way he OK's the Brewers.
He's already said he would likely veto a trade to the AL. He wants to stay in the NL.
Rosenthal:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs tried to interest the Phillies in Marquis, but received only lukewarm interest. Cubs infielder/outfielder Mark DeRosa, who attended the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, would fit the Phillies' need for a right-handed hitting replacement for departing free agent Pat Burrell.

DeRosa has been among the names under discussion, but according to one source, the Cubs' attempts to involve a third team in the Peavy discussions have involved "probably 20 names with four to five clubs." And an agreement is still not close.

No Peavy deal will be completed until the Cubs' new owner is decided, sources say. The new owner would need to approve the addition of Peavy, who is owed $63 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, they can still agree to the trade, but if that's true, Peavy but not officially be a Cub until March. Whatev.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->One source close to GM Jim Hendry characterized the Cubs as "very close" to completing a deal for Jake Peavy.
Cubs and Orioles sources told the Chicago Sun-Times that those two teams have agreed to a swap of Garrett Olson and Felix Pie, contingent on a Peavy deal. Olson would then go to San Diego. The Sun-Times also believes the Phillies are in the deal, but isn't sure the pieces are finalized there. Dec. 9 - 2:28 am et<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=2699:date=Dec 9 2008, 12:54 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 9 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rosenthal:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs tried to interest the Phillies in Marquis, but received only lukewarm interest. Cubs infielder/outfielder Mark DeRosa, who attended the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia, would fit the Phillies' need for a right-handed hitting replacement for departing free agent Pat Burrell.

DeRosa has been among the names under discussion, but according to one source, the Cubs' attempts to involve a third team in the Peavy discussions have involved "probably 20 names with four to five clubs." And an agreement is still not close.

No Peavy deal will be completed until the Cubs' new owner is decided, sources say. The new owner would need to approve the addition of Peavy, who is owed $63 million.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, they can still agree to the trade, but if that's true, Peavy but not officially be a Cub until March. Whatev.

There is no way anyone is going to wait that long. What if the new owner says No in March, then everyone else is screwed. Talks wouldn't have got near this far if we needed new owner approval.