Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo(post=2613:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:50 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->DeRosa better not be going anywhere. He was arguably our MVP last year and he's one of the leaders of this team. Losing him and Wood would really hurt the clubhouse and leadership of this team. I'd be shocked if Hendry traded him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree, I don't think he's going anywhere.
<!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Pujols has knocked in over 120 once in the last 4 years. Is he also the exception to the rule? In 2006 he had 137. The next year, he had almost 35 less RBI in 35 more at bats. Did he become unclutch?

Lance Berkman went from 136 to 102 in one year.

magglio ordonez went from 139 to 103.

In almost all these cases, the players were on teams that went from being good offensively to bad. When a players team gets worse, his rbi totals tend to drop as well. That can't be coincidence.

I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:00 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

Pujols has knocked in over 120 once in the last 4 years. Is he also the exception to the rule? In 2006 he had 137. The next year, he had almost 35 less RBI in 35 more at bats. Did he become unclutch?

In almost all these cases, the players were on teams that went from being good offensively to bad. When a players team gets worse, his rbi totals tend to drop as well. That can't be coincidence.
BT gets it.
<!--quoteo(post=2630:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:15 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 8 2008, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:00 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

BT gets it.
Yeah his argument seems to make the most sense.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

There's no doubt RBI numbers are going to go down when you don't have guys getting on base, but certain guys are going to get more runs in than most hitters in that situation. Adam Dunn has hit over 40 homers 4 times, and his high in RBI is 106. Why? Because he only hits home runs. He doesn't put the ball in play with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs and get RBI's that the guys like Ibanez do. Adam Dunn will never be a very good RBIman because of that. You have to make contact. And he's been a part of some solid lineups.

Certain guys are clearly clutch, if you don't believe that, I don't know what to tell ya. Aramis Ramirez and Manny Ramirez for example become different hitters when they have good RBI opportunities, especially late in games.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=2632:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:19 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2619:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Dec 8 2008, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2596:date=Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 8 2008, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2582:date=Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 8 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->barry bonds is the exception that proves the rule. how many times did he get to hit with runners in scoring position? he walked 200 times. the reason he has so many solo home runs is because that was the only time teams would pitch to him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Tom gets it.

There's no doubt RBI numbers are going to go down when you don't have guys getting on base, but certain guys are going to get more runs in than most hitters in that situation. Adam Dunn has hit over 40 homers 4 times, and his high in RBI is 106. Why? Because he only hits home runs. He doesn't put the ball in play with a runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs and get RBI's that the guys like Ibanez do. Adam Dunn will never be a very good RBIman because of that. You have to make contact. And he's been a part of some solid lineups.

Certain guys are clearly clutch, if you don't believe that, I don't know what to tell ya. Aramis Ramirez and Manny Ramirez for example become different hitters when they have good RBI opportunities, especially late in games.
Maybe it's just guys with the last name of Ramirez.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
Mods? Can we get this back on topic? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
Any new news on Peavy, BarHtC?
[Image: lou.jpg]
<!--quoteo(post=2643:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:24 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mods? Can we get this back on topic? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I had been trying, but I gave up [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/img]

I think this discussion could last a while.

- Butcher
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Towers said Monday night that he has facilitated a three-team and possibly a four-team deal that would send Peavy to the Chicago for a package of players.

"There's a package there that will satisfy us ... there's a deal in the way of names," said Towers, who carefully stated that no deal, even in principle, has been reached.

Towers said a deal "could happen quick" if Hendry and the Cubs agree to assuming not only Peavy's $11 million salary in 2009 but the remainder of the $63 million he's owed over the next four seasons.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2656:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:40 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Towers said Monday night that he has facilitated a three-team and possibly a four-team deal that would send Peavy to the Chicago for a package of players.

"There's a package there that will satisfy us ... there's a deal in the way of names," said Towers, who carefully stated that no deal, even in principle, has been reached.

Towers said a deal "could happen quick" if Hendry and the Cubs agree to assuming not only Peavy's $11 million salary in 2009 but the remainder of the $63 million he's owed over the next four seasons.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link

I sure hope we get a prospect-discount for taking all of the contract.
[Image: lou.jpg]
A very generous owner would be nice, with all the money we owe these guys in the coming years. Still, I don't think that will prevent Hendry from making the deal. It's just a matter of finding somebody to take Marquis' contract. Come on Rockies, step up.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=2643:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:24 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 8 2008, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Mods? Can we get this back on topic? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That really isn't in my job description.
I still see the Angels swooping in and delaying any deal.
The Brewers could do it too.
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
<!--quoteo(post=2659:date=Dec 8 2008, 11:46 PM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Dec 8 2008, 11:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2656:date=Dec 8 2008, 10:40 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 8 2008, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Towers said Monday night that he has facilitated a three-team and possibly a four-team deal that would send Peavy to the Chicago for a package of players.

Link

I sure hope we get a prospect-discount for taking all of the contract.
Maybe one player, but I think the Padres are trading Peavy more due to the contract than the return in prospects. I'm sure Hendry knew that as well so I don't see it being a big problem. Say they took his 09 salary for example, would it still be worth trading your ace? I mean we're giving them a few guys with some potential but nothing to write home about in my opinion.
@TheBlogfines