Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Angels could still make a deal for Peavy
Jake Peavy

Getty Images

The Los Angeles Angels figure to be major players in Las Vegas. If Mark Teixeira signs elsewhere, they could consider free agent outfielders Manny Ramírez, Adam Dunn, or Pat Burrell.

Don't discount them as a player for Jake Peavy, with the chips — young shortstop Brandon Wood, righty Ervin Santana — to give to San Diego, according to the Boston Globe.

They'd love to use Chone Figgins as their Tony Phillips, playing various positions, so Colorado third baseman Garrett Atkins could be on the radar.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=1904:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not sure what you mean here.

I'm a firm believer in RBIs. I know RBIs are dependent on players getting on ahead, and also the baserunning ability of those players. But, I think RBIs usually will separate the players when compared. It's not a be all end all, but I think it's a good rule of thumb.

I think it's certainly a better measuring stick then HRs.

In regards to Dunn, I do like the fact that he gets on base a whole lot. I guess I would like him a little more if he was actually an intelligent and/or fast base runner.

Most of my argument by the way wasn't that adding Dunn wouldn't benefit the team. It's just that he would frustrate the fuck out of just about everyone here and when it came to the playoffs, I'm not very confident in what he could do for us.
<!--quoteo(post=2025:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1904:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm a firm believer in RBIs. I know RBIs are dependent on players getting on ahead, and also the baserunning ability of those players. But, I think RBIs usually will separate the players when compared. It's not a be all end all, but I think it's a good rule of thumb.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Measuring stick for what?
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=2027:date=Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2025:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1904:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

for measuring how many runs a player has driven in.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo(post=2027:date=Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2025:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1904:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For how good a player is. I thought that was fairly obvious.
i also am a big fan of the rbi. team stat or not, they're important.
Wang.
CS is the most important stat in the game.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=2068:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:18 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i also am a big fan of the rbi. team stat or not, they're important.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=2065:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:05 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2027:date=Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2025:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1904:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The amount of contextualization necessary in determining how a person has acquired or not acquired RBIs makes the stat lose so much value. Not only does it matter how the person bats in terms of power, but it relies on those ahead of them in the lineup, the batters place within the lineup and the tendencies of the manager. It just relies way to much on context.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=2073:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:21 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 7 2008, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2068:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:18 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i also am a big fan of the rbi. team stat or not, they're important.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed.

Of course they are important, but they aren't the best tool for determining a batters worth, value or ability.
<!--quoteo(post=2068:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:18 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Dec 7 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i also am a big fan of the rbi. team stat or not, they're important.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They are important, but they're not a very good gauge to determining anyone's value.
Was Dlee unclutch in 05 when he hit 46 homers and and only had 107 rbi?
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=2078:date=Dec 7 2008, 08:39 PM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Dec 7 2008, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2065:date=Dec 7 2008, 07:05 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2027:date=Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Dec 7 2008, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2025:date=Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1904:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The amount of contextualization necessary in determining how a person has acquired or not acquired RBIs makes the stat lose so much value. Not only does it matter how the person bats in terms of power, but it relies on those ahead of them in the lineup, the batters place within the lineup and the tendencies of the manager. It just relies way to much on context.

I can't just get an RBI number be able to put a value on the player that posted the total. That's silly. All I'm saying is if you had some kind of rating system based on the collective thoughts of GMs in baseball and compared it to the RBI totals, there would be a very very high correlation. That's all I'm saying.
<!--quoteo(post=2086:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:18 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Was Dlee unclutch in 05 when he hit 46 homers and and only had 107 rbi?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. He had a .331 average with RISP and drove in 64 of those runs with RISP.
<!--quoteo(post=2089:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:23 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 7 2008, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=2086:date=Dec 7 2008, 09:18 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 7 2008, 09:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Was Dlee unclutch in 05 when he hit 46 homers and and only had 107 rbi?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. He had a .331 average with RISP and drove in 64 of those runs with RISP.

You just pointed out why RBIs are not the best stat to evaluate a player.

Do you think Ryan Howard would have so many RBI if Rollins and Utley weren't hitting in fornt opf him. Put Howard in San Fran's lineup and see how many RBIs he would have had.