Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
Dunn is not a good fit for this team.
I'd think the Cards would try to keep Lopez since he can play anywhere, was terrific for them, and would be cheap.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1827:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:33 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 6 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1823:date=Dec 6 2008, 07:10 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Dec 6 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He's Soriano with an eye and no speed. If we did not have Soriano he would be a decent fit, but there is not enough room for them both to be on the same team without a DH.

I am now sure that I want Peavy, Bradley and Lopez. And get the regular season started.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be an excellent off season for us. Do you want Lopez just for a Cedeno replacement?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think Cedeno and Pie will be gone if we are to get Peavey. Lopez would, in my opinion, be excellent insurance if any of Theriot/DeRosa/Fontenot were to under perform.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=1824:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:12 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 6 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1819:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do you guys realize how unclutch Adam Dunn is? He's hit 40 home runs or more the last 6 years and has averaged 100 RBI per season in that span. For comparison, Raul Ibanez has managed to produce 103 RBI per season over his last 6 full seasons and only has averaged 23 HRs per season.

I think he would be the most frustrating player we've watched in some time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well said Scarey. Didn't it take him like 6 years to hit a sacrifice fly? It's something like that.

And as Coach has posted about a few times, Dunn doesn't even like playing baseball. He has an awful attitude about the game. It's the reason why J.P. Riccardi, the Blue Jays GM, said this:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->On Wednesday night, a caller to Ricciardi's radio show suggested that a deal for Dunn might help the struggling Toronto offense, and Ricciardi responded bluntly. "Do you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much?" Ricciardi said. "Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

"There's a reason why you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that defense people are worried about with Ibanez in RF, well then you should be absolutely shitting your pants over the idea of Dunn out there. If this guy got more than 2 hits in a playoff series I'd be stunned. Good pitchers bearing down when it matters will make him look awful in October, just like they do with Soriano.

Out of curiosity, other than what Ricciardi said, has this stuff about Dunn's attitude been reported elsewhere?
<!--quoteo(post=1860:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:11 AM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Dec 7 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1824:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:12 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 6 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1819:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do you guys realize how unclutch Adam Dunn is? He's hit 40 home runs or more the last 6 years and has averaged 100 RBI per season in that span. For comparison, Raul Ibanez has managed to produce 103 RBI per season over his last 6 full seasons and only has averaged 23 HRs per season.

I think he would be the most frustrating player we've watched in some time.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well said Scarey. Didn't it take him like 6 years to hit a sacrifice fly? It's something like that.

And as Coach has posted about a few times, Dunn doesn't even like playing baseball. He has an awful attitude about the game. It's the reason why J.P. Riccardi, the Blue Jays GM, said this:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->On Wednesday night, a caller to Ricciardi's radio show suggested that a deal for Dunn might help the struggling Toronto offense, and Ricciardi responded bluntly. "Do you know the guy doesn't really like baseball that much?" Ricciardi said. "Do you know the guy doesn't have a passion to play the game that much? How much do you know about the player?

"There's a reason why you're attracted to some players and there's a reason why you're not attracted to some players. I don't think you'd be very happy if we brought Adam Dunn here."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that defense people are worried about with Ibanez in RF, well then you should be absolutely shitting your pants over the idea of Dunn out there. If this guy got more than 2 hits in a playoff series I'd be stunned. Good pitchers bearing down when it matters will make him look awful in October, just like they do with Soriano.

Out of curiosity, other than what Ricciardi said, has this stuff about Dunn's attitude been reported elsewhere?

I'm not sure, but before that, I'm pretty sure Coach said he knew somebody that's friends with him or something, that said Dunn talks about how he doesn't like playing baseball and doesn't care. I mean, people around baseball usually don't say these things about players. Ricciardi had to issue an apology after this, it became such a big deal.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=1864:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:23 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 7 2008, 01:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1860:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:11 AM:name=dk123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dk123 @ Dec 7 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1824:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:12 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 6 2008, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1819:date=Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Dec 6 2008, 06:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Do you guys realize how unclutch Adam Dunn is? He's hit 40 home runs or more the last 6 years and has averaged 100 RBI per season in that span. For comparison, Raul Ibanez has managed to produce 103 RBI per season over his last 6 full seasons and only has averaged 23 HRs per season.

I'm not sure, but before that, I'm pretty sure Coach said he knew somebody that's friends with him or something, that said Dunn talks about how he doesn't like playing baseball and doesn't care. I mean, people around baseball usually don't say these things about players. Ricciardi had to issue an apology after this, it became such a big deal.

We're not signing Dunn so the point is pretty much moot, but if we did sign him I wouldn't care how much he loved the game or how much he wanted to play. As long as he hits about 40 moon shots a year I'm fine with it.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
I said "for all the reasons" I don't like him. All of which you have named and I agree with.

Now picture this: we get him...

...allow reality to set in...

those who post his "unclutch" stats aren't allowed on principal to use it as an argument if you claim to disregard stat minutia. I use them as a tool. I see his stats and see how I don't like his "clutch" stats. But realize that he will offer a ton during the season.

I will gizzim if he's on this team. Give a good argument otherwise. And I've been against Dunn forever.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=1816:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:12 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 6 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1815:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:03 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 6 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1813:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As much as I dislike Dunn for various reasons...I can guarantee we would collectively shit ourselves if we actually got him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Honestly, I'd be pissed.
Honestly, I'd be pissing my pants.
The following is meant for Scarey:

You think RBIs are the most important batting stat so you can CRAM IT SON!

PCB, please disregard. The new board is confusing.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=1869:date=Dec 7 2008, 06:52 AM:name=bz)-->QUOTE (bz @ Dec 7 2008, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1816:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:12 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Dec 6 2008, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1815:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:03 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 6 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1813:date=Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ Dec 6 2008, 05:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As much as I dislike Dunn for various reasons...I can guarantee we would collectively shit ourselves if we actually got him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Honestly, I'd be pissed.
Honestly, I'd be pissing my pants.
The following is meant for Scarey:

You think RBIs are the most important batting stat so you can CRAM IT SON!

PCB, please disregard. The new board is confusing.

I absolutely do feel that RBI are the most important stat. Hands down. If you're argument is regardless of how he gets them, he still gets 100 RBI a year, I can't deny that fact.

I was simply stating that he would be so fucking frustrating to watch play for our team. He would strike out 3 times in a close game, then in the 8th inning when we're up by 5 he'll hit a solo home run. That's just frustrating as hell.
RBI are a team stat.
Come on Scarey, you can join us in the 21st century now.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"The Peavy thing isn't dead, but it's on life support," one person familiar with the Cubs' dealings said.

With the Braves out of the talks, at least for the moment, the Cubs appeared to be San Diego's best hope for a trade. One reason for that is that Peavy seems willing to consider waiving his no-trade powers to join the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
<!--quoteo(post=1956:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->"The Peavy thing isn't dead, but it's on life support," one person familiar with the Cubs' dealings said.

With the Braves out of the talks, at least for the moment, the Cubs appeared to be San Diego's best hope for a trade. One reason for that is that Peavy seems willing to consider waiving his no-trade powers to join the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
That is the complete opposite of everything we've been hearing the past few days. Hendry and Towers are supposed to be meeting today so I guess we'll see what happens.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=1956:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->"The Peavy thing isn't dead, but it's on life support," one person familiar with the Cubs' dealings said.

Link.

I'm not sure I'm buying that. Friday and yesterday it sounded more and more like a deal was going to happen and now it's on the verge of falling apart before the meetings even start?
<!--quoteo(post=1960:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:23 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 7 2008, 01:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=1956:date=Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Dec 7 2008, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->"The Peavy thing isn't dead, but it's on life support," one person familiar with the Cubs' dealings said.

Link.

I'm not sure I'm buying that. Friday and yesterday it sounded more and more like a deal was going to happen and now it's on the verge of falling apart before the meetings even start?

Yeah that what I was wondering about as well.

- Butcher