Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peavy Talk
I really, really wish we could sign Lowe.
<!--quoteo(post=9841:date=Jan 7 2009, 02:42 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jan 7 2009, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9840:date=Jan 7 2009, 02:32 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 7 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Man, fuck Looper and Redding with a stick.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They are both pretty much the same as Marquis.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, they're Marquis, minus the durability.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Even now, with Hoffman seemingly out the door, the Padres remain open to trading Peavy, whose salary would chew up nearly 30 percent of the 2009 payroll, as long as it makes baseball sense. Towers has said a much-discussed proposal from the Cubs “would fill several holes” on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.

<!--quoteo(post=9951:date=Jan 7 2009, 11:43 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 7 2009, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Even now, with Hoffman seemingly out the door, the Padres remain open to trading Peavy, whose salary would chew up nearly 30 percent of the 2009 payroll, as long as it makes baseball sense. Towers has said a much-discussed proposal from the Cubs “would fill several holes” on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.

Does this mean Hendry has made an offer or are they talking about the offer back at the Winter Meetings?
That's kind of what I was wondering. I'm guessing it's the Winter Meetings one. Also, from Miles.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->There have been and will be a lot of pitchers' names thrown out there as Cubs GM Jim Hendry continues his shopping. If the Cubs go outside the organization, I'd still put my money on Hendry somehow landing Jake Peavy from the Padres, unless the new San Diego ownership pledges to spend money and keep Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
An article with Peavy/ownership talk.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ricketts will want to win and win fast, so if it's him and it happens soon his first call might be to GM Jim Hendry with the news that he can up the payroll and get Peavy out of San Diego.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.
<!--quoteo(post=10462:date=Jan 9 2009, 08:41 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 9 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->An article with Peavy/ownership talk.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ricketts will want to win and win fast, so if it's him and it happens soon his first call might be to GM Jim Hendry with the news that he can up the payroll and get Peavy out of San Diego.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.

I saw that yesterday, forgot to post it ... here. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=10465:date=Jan 9 2009, 07:58 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 9 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=10462:date=Jan 9 2009, 08:41 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 9 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->An article with Peavy/ownership talk.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Ricketts will want to win and win fast, so if it's him and it happens soon his first call might be to GM Jim Hendry with the news that he can up the payroll and get Peavy out of San Diego.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link.

I saw that yesterday, forgot to post it ... here. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]

I need to get over there more.
Rozner's just a columnist showing his opinion.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=10466:date=Jan 9 2009, 09:02 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 9 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=10465:date=Jan 9 2009, 07:58 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jan 9 2009, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=10462:date=Jan 9 2009, 08:41 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 9 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->An article with Peavy/ownership talk.

Link.

I need to get over there more.
Nah, I'm just being a douchebag.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Levine from his blog:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The signing of Milton Bradley does not bring an end to the Cubs' offseason pursuit of getting better in 2009. The Cubs will revisit the Jake Peavy trade situation if and when new ownership decides whether to sign off on the $63 million due to the 2007 National League Cy Young award winner. With the acquisition of three young arms from the Indians in the Mark DeRosa deal, the Padres might be more satisfied with the young players that the Cubs can send their way for Peavy. It is unclear at this time whether or not San Diego ownership still wants Peavy to be dealt. A group head by former CEO of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Jeffrey Moorad, appears to have exclusive rights to try to buy the Padres from present owner Johnny Moores.

<b>Also on the Cubs' front, the team has expressed interest in right-handed pitcher Aaron Heilman of the Seattle Mariners. The former Met is considered by the Cubs a possible missing link to their bullpen for next year. </b>The Mariners are interested in obtaining a middle infielder, and now that the Cubs have added Aaron Miles to the mix, a player like Ronny Cedeno might be available in a deal for Heilman. Cedeno is out of minor league options, which means that if he doesn't stay on the Cubs 25-man roster throughout 2009, he must go through waivers, which means the Cubs would lose him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We're looking for another right-handed bullpen arm? I don't see it, unless we're expecting to trade a couple potential bullpen arms to the Fathers. Marmol, Gregg, Vizcaino, Gaudin, Wuertz, Shark, Cotts, Marshall, Guzman, Ascanio, Hart, etc. Trading for Heilman seems like a waste, especially if we're not getting the old Heilman. He was all over the place last year. He may have been worse than Howry actually.
@TheBlogfines
I don't think Lou trusts Wuertz, Cotts or Hart, so maybe a couple of them will be sent away to make room.
From a few days ago. Don't jump all over me, as this is only part of the column.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...,1130535.column
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->'Moving parts' cloud Peavy deal
New owners could call shots on Jake Peavy trade

Fred Mitchell | AROUND TOWN
January 8, 2009

Recent Cubs trades may have positioned the team for another run at San Diego Padres pitcher Jake Peavy. But acquiring the 2007 National League Cy Young Award winner may hinge on new ownership for both franchises.

"We all understood that there was some sort of framework [for a trade] in place," said Barry Axelrod, Peavy's San Diego-based agent. "There was an effort on the Cubs' part [during the winter meetings] to come up with the pieces they needed to fill out that framework."

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry traded Mark DeRosa to Cleveland for three minor-league prospects and Jason Marquis was dealt to Colorado along with $875,000 for reliever Luis Vizcaino. Both trades cleared substantial salary space for further acquisitions.

"[Hendry] seems to be open to anything," Axelrod said. "There are some GMs you deal with who are all paralyzed by their caution and analysis. Jim is willing to get out there and make things happen. So I wouldn't put anything past him of any kind."

" [Jeffrey] Moorad made a pointed statement when asked if this would have anything to do with the Peavy situation. He said something like, 'It would be erroneous to assume that,' " Axelrod said of the former Diamondbacks head who leads the group with exclusive rights to negotiate for the Padres.

If the Padres' new owners can't afford Peavy's hefty salary, a trade still would appear feasible.

"[Given the ownership situations,] it's hard to imagine anything being completed within the first quarter of this year," Axelrod said. "Moorad [supposedly] has an exclusive negotiating window. [But] new ownership doesn't necessarily mean they are going to have unlimited funds to upgrade their payroll. It might be that they spend all of their money buying the franchise and don't have money to upgrade.

"There are a lot of moving parts. The ownership situation in Chicago, that is a moving part, as well. Nobody knows whether new [Cubs] ownership would approve taking on Peavy's contract. There is a lot of uncertainty."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Guzman and Ascancio could very well be part of the framework for the Peavy trade though.
<!--quoteo(post=10533:date=Jan 10 2009, 08:39 AM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Jan 10 2009, 08:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Guzman and Ascancio could very well be part of the framework for the Peavy trade though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds good to me. Ascanio did nothing last year, on or off the pine and Guzman is high risk as well as high reward. Ain't sweet that a guy like Ascanio who we essentially got for Strap could land us Peavy? Jimmy baby, let Ricketts get the reins and Git-R-Done!
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.