Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Best Cubs - Catchers
Just thought it would be cool to go position by position and try to figure out your top 5 all-time for the Cubs.

Starting at catcher:

1. Gabby Hartnett
2. Jody Davis
3. Randy Hundley
4. Geovany Soto
5. Joe Girardi

Kind of weak position. There's some serious gaps in time where no one was any good. Between Hartnett and Hundley was a relative void. Then Hundley to Davis was another weak spot. Girardi is there due to the number of years he actually manned the position for the Cubs and Soto only has 2 years but is already one of the better catchers all time for the Cubs. He's probably a stretch at this point, but I'm guessing he'll be pretty good for a while.
I got nothin'.

Andy
If Soto plays like I expect him to for a few more years, he'll move into the #2 spot, and that's where he'll likely stay.
@TheBlogfines
Upon a little further investigation, I'm going to remove Girardi and add Johnny Kling. He was the Cubs primary catcher from 1902 - 1909. He hit modestly well for a number of those years.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=4581:date=Dec 13 2008, 04:51 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 13 2008, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Soto plays like I expect him to for a few more years, he'll move into the #2 spot, and that's where he'll likely stay.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
True. I can't remember having such a prospect Catcher come through we such flair. Staying in the 20HR/80RBI range for the next 6-8 years will easily put him there.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Rob Bowen
<!--quoteo(post=4595:date=Dec 13 2008, 08:31 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Dec 13 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rob Bowen<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

FUCK THIS LIST!!! How is Hector Villanueva not on it?
<!--quoteo(post=4595:date=Dec 13 2008, 06:31 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Dec 13 2008, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Rob Bowen<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rollin.gif[/img]
Speaking of no-name/short time catchers...
Last month I was eating breakfast at a diner with the folks, and this lady saw my Wrigley Field shirt and decided to talk. She was the wife of Rube Novotney, a catcher for the club in 1949. He was only up for a month, while Grimm was managing. She told us that Grimm liked him and told him that had he been in charge of his roster spot, he would still be catching for the Cubs.
Nice lady.

So anywhoo, if Bowen makes before Novotney I'd be enraged. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]
Rick Wilkins
Damon Berryhill
Gabby H is one of the Top 10 catchers of all-time, so at least we're not totally devoid of talent at that position.
And I think Soto is the real deal, so it'll be enjoyable to watch his career unfold.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Todd Hundley
Rick Wrona
SMISH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
I think it's interesting that Hartnett had his best year at age 34--he was MVP that year.

*Edit--actually now that I look at it more closely--he had his best year at age 36. Pretty amazing.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=4615:date=Dec 13 2008, 11:34 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 13 2008, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Damon Berryhill<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Holy shit i completely forgot about him [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]