Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Cubs Best - 1B
<!--quoteo(post=5638:date=Dec 17 2008, 09:16 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Dec 17 2008, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5632:date=Dec 17 2008, 09:00 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 17 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5254:date=Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM:name=Addison)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Addison @ Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd put it...

Lee
Grace
Durham
Buckner<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How can a guy that has only been on the Cubs for 4 years be considered one of the all time best 1B's in Cubs history? And sorry, but aside from one great year, Lee has not done anything spectacular.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's had 4 very good years, 2 gold gloves, 2 All-Star games, would've been the MVP if anybody else did anything in 05, went 10 for 23 in the playoffs, etc.

He's right in the same class as Bucker and Durham to me.

And by that logic, we shouldn't even be considering Soto then.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you for your response, Clapp. You saved me some typing. I also need to note that his impressive stretch has saved the Cubs quite a few errors.
[Image: HappyKitty.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=5058:date=Dec 16 2008, 07:51 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 16 2008, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Side note. Buckner was my favorite player as a kid. In 1982, when he was close to getting his 200th hit, I had my mom tape every game so I wouldn't miss it when he got it. The game that it happened was against the Cards, and the Cubs were getting beat pretty soundly. He got the hit late in the game, and Harry got all jazzed about it.

Anyway, I kept that tape and watched it over, and over, and over, and over -- not just the 200th hit, but the whole game. I'm not sure why. But it got to the point where I memorized everything Harry and Steve said and would call the game along with them.

I was a weird kid.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We all have those stories.
I would watch every game on WGN and keep score on my own makeshift scorecard, and would even make up brochures and tickets for big games. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
Then I'd go outside with my plastic bat and imagine I was Sammy, Glenallen, Henry, Gracie or Ryno and swing at an imaginary ball over an imaginary fence. Trust me Butch, I was weird too.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Since I'm an artist and always have been able to draw, I'll tell you a little something... every year I would make my father a drawing to post onto his bulletin board in his office. It was always Cub related and always involved a newspaper boy holding the latest addition of the paper. My father floored me this Thanksgiving by bringing out one that I had done one year to show to my nephews. Obviously, it read, "Cubs win the world series." My dad took such joy in showing it off. In part, I know it was because I drew it but I know it was mostly because, like all of us, he longs to see this happen.
[Image: HappyKitty.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=5650:date=Dec 17 2008, 07:41 PM:name=Addison)-->QUOTE (Addison @ Dec 17 2008, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Since I'm an artist and always have been able to draw, I'll tell you a little something... every year I would make my father a drawing to post onto his bulletin board in his office. It was always Cub related and always involved a newspaper boy holding the latest addition of the paper. My father floored me this Thanksgiving by bringing out one that I had done one year to show to my nephews. Obviously, it read, "Cubs win the world series." My dad took such joy in showing it off. In part, I know it was because I drew it but I know it was mostly because, like all of us, he longs to see this happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's awesome that he kept it! You never know how much stuff that you do means to people until they remind you. That is so cool.
It's a dream that will never go away until it happens. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cheers.gif[/img]
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.