Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Cubs Best - 1B
Ron Coomer
Matt Stairs
Side note. Buckner was my favorite player as a kid. In 1982, when he was close to getting his 200th hit, I had my mom tape every game so I wouldn't miss it when he got it. The game that it happened was against the Cards, and the Cubs were getting beat pretty soundly. He got the hit late in the game, and Harry got all jazzed about it.

Anyway, I kept that tape and watched it over, and over, and over, and over -- not just the 200th hit, but the whole game. I'm not sure why. But it got to the point where I memorized everything Harry and Steve said and would call the game along with them.

I was a weird kid.
<!--quoteo(post=5058:date=Dec 16 2008, 10:51 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 16 2008, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Side note. Buckner was my favorite player as a kid. In 1982, when he was close to getting his 200th hit, I had my mom tape every game so I wouldn't miss it when he got it. The game that it happened was against the Cards, and the Cubs were getting beat pretty soundly. He got the hit late in the game, and Harry got all jazzed about it.

Anyway, I kept that tape and watched it over, and over, and over, and over -- not just the 200th hit, but the whole game. I'm not sure why. But it got to the point where I memorized everything Harry and Steve said and would call the game along with them.

I was a weird kid.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That explains a lot. I used to keep score of every game while watching WGN when I got home from school. I still have some of my old notebooks. It's fun to look back through them on occasion.
<!--quoteo(post=5058:date=Dec 16 2008, 09:51 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 16 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Side note. Buckner was my favorite player as a kid. In 1982, when he was close to getting his 200th hit, I had my mom tape every game so I wouldn't miss it when he got it. The game that it happened was against the Cards, and the Cubs were getting beat pretty soundly. He got the hit late in the game, and Harry got all jazzed about it.

My brother and I made up a dice game for baseball. During the winter we would play the whole next season and kept box score for every game and would compare it to how the Cubs did during the regular season. It was great for math as a kid.
<!--quoteo(post=5016:date=Dec 16 2008, 12:54 AM:name=CD2W)-->QUOTE (CD2W @ Dec 16 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like Chance over Buckner.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

frank chance was extremely overrated and shouldn't be in the hall of fame. sorry.

cap anson wouldn't make my list either because pre-twentieth century players don't make my list.

based on players that i've seen:

01. mark grace
1a. derrek lee
03. bill buckner
04. leon durhan
05. fred mcgriff

i give the nd to grace based on longevity. i'm a bigger fan of lee though.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=5058:date=Dec 16 2008, 09:51 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 16 2008, 09:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Side note. Buckner was my favorite player as a kid. In 1982, when he was close to getting his 200th hit, I had my mom tape every game so I wouldn't miss it when he got it. The game that it happened was against the Cards, and the Cubs were getting beat pretty soundly. He got the hit late in the game, and Harry got all jazzed about it.

nothing weird about it. harry and steve were magical. i used to keep box scores of games too and i had note books filled with stats. wish i would have kept that stuff.
Wang.
Hands down it's Grace. Not only was he a great hitter, but keep in mind who the shortstop was for most of his time as a Cub. Lord knows how many errors Grace saved Dunston in his career. He really got screwed out of some gold gloves.

2. Durham
3. Buckner
4. Lee
5. Phil Nevin
Nevin, seriously?
<!--quoteo(post=5071:date=Dec 16 2008, 10:35 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Dec 16 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nevin, seriously?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm guessing that is for Rapp's benefit.
<!--quoteo(post=5076:date=Dec 16 2008, 10:41 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Dec 16 2008, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5071:date=Dec 16 2008, 10:35 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Dec 16 2008, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Nevin, seriously?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm guessing that is for Rapp's benefit.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]

When I was little, I would right down what every player did during their at bat. I would keep every game on a sheet of paper and compare how each of them were hitting and improving or getting worse... we are talking like age 7 or 8.
[Image: HappyKitty.gif]
I'd put it...

Lee
Grace
Durham
Buckner
[Image: HappyKitty.gif]
<!--quoteo(post=5254:date=Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM:name=Addison)-->QUOTE (Addison @ Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd put it...

Lee
Grace
Durham
Buckner<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How can a guy that has only been on the Cubs for 4 years be considered one of the all time best 1B's in Cubs history? And sorry, but aside from one great year, Lee has not done anything spectacular.
<!--quoteo(post=5632:date=Dec 17 2008, 09:00 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Dec 17 2008, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=5254:date=Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM:name=Addison)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Addison @ Dec 16 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'd put it...

Lee
Grace
Durham
Buckner<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How can a guy that has only been on the Cubs for 4 years be considered one of the all time best 1B's in Cubs history? And sorry, but aside from one great year, Lee has not done anything spectacular.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's had 4 very good years, 2 gold gloves, 2 All-Star games, would've been the MVP if anybody else did anything in 05, went 10 for 23 in the playoffs, etc.

He's right in the same class as Bucker and Durham to me.

And by that logic, we shouldn't even be considering Soto then.
@TheBlogfines