Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All Time Best Cubs - Center Field
<!--quoteo(post=9099:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you want to start feeling better about yourselves, try doing this for the White Sox. I've put no thought at all into it, but I'm pretty sure their collection of talent is worse than ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figure it is appropriate if I take a quick swing. Working all time. It's more sad if we just look at guys in my lifetime - but also equally sad that the Sox had no great 1B or RF that played the game prior to this generation.

Chicago baseball, on both sides of town, has been fairly awful for...well... a long long long time. Each team has had a few bright spots, and a few great players, but it is truly amazing at the crap we have had also.

C - Fisk, Lollar, Schalk
1B - Thomas, Konerko and a lot of junk
2B - Collins, Fox, Durham
SS - Aparicio, Appling and Guillen (Guillen way behind the other two)
3B - Ventura, Melton
RF - Baines, Ordonez
CF - Loads of junk (Landis/Johnson) the best of the worst
LF - Joe Jackson, Minnie Minoso and Lee
SP Walsh, Ciccote, Wood, Lyons, Pierce
RP - Thigpen, Wilhelm, Jenks

The Sox have had significantly worse ownership and management than the Cubs over many of the years also. For all my dislike of the Trib and what they have done to the Cubs, most ownerships on the South side prior to Mr. Reinsdorf have been fairly weak.

And to the best of my memory, there has been no manager in this town worse than Terry Bevington. None at all. I'd take the "College of Coaches" any day over Bevington.
<!--quoteo(post=9111:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:25 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 5 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9099:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you want to start feeling better about yourselves, try doing this for the White Sox. I've put no thought at all into it, but I'm pretty sure their collection of talent is worse than ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I figure it is appropriate if I take a quick swing. Working all time. It's more sad if we just look at guys in my lifetime - but also equally sad that the Sox had no great 1B or RF that played the game prior to this generation.

Chicago baseball, on both sides of town, has been fairly awful for...well... a long long long time. Each team has had a few bright spots, and a few great players, but it is truly amazing at the crap we have had also.

C - Fisk, Lollar, Schalk
3B - Ventura, Melton
RF - Baines, Ordonez

The Sox have had significantly worse ownership and management than the Cubs over many of the years also. For all my dislike of the Trib and what they have done to the Cubs, most ownerships on the South side prior to Mr. Reinsdorf have been fairly weak.

And to the best of my memory, there has been no manager in this town worse than Terry Bevington. None at all. I'd take the "College of Coaches" any day over Bevington.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[Image: Sosa_Score_RC.JPG]

There's always George Bell [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue.gif[/img]
What about Steve Sax at 2B, Ron Karkovice at C/DH and Ron Kittle at 1B/DH? It doesn't get any better than that.
<!--quoteo(post=9120:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:47 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 5 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9111:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:25 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 5 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9099:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you want to start feeling better about yourselves, try doing this for the White Sox. I've put no thought at all into it, but I'm pretty sure their collection of talent is worse than ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C - Fisk, Lollar, Schalk
3B - Ventura, Melton
RF - Baines, Ordonez

Look at how freaking tiny he was. Yeah - that deal worked out very well for the Cubs. Bell sucked bigtime in two seasons with the Sox, and was out of the game after that. Sosa went on to become one of the most impactful hitters in baseball. I can't blame Schuler for the move. But Himes sure got the best of him.
<!--quoteo(post=9125:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What about Steve Sax at 2B, Ron Karkovice at C/DH and Ron Kittle at 1B/DH? It doesn't get any better than that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Karkovice was amongst the ugliest men to ever play the game. Sax got a bad case of the yips - couldn't throw to 1B. Kittle was ok. Gary, IN kid - got to stay home. Nice story.
<!--quoteo(post=9127:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:57 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 5 2009, 03:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9125:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What about Steve Sax at 2B, Ron Karkovice at C/DH and Ron Kittle at 1B/DH? It doesn't get any better than that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Karkovice was amongst the ugliest men to ever play the game. Sax got a bad case of the yips - couldn't throw to 1B. Kittle was ok. Gary, IN kid - got to stay home. Nice story.
Kittle and Karkovice were the first 2 players I ever booed at a ballpark. Good times.
<!--quoteo(post=9111:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:25 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 5 2009, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9099:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you want to start feeling better about yourselves, try doing this for the White Sox. I've put no thought at all into it, but I'm pretty sure their collection of talent is worse than ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C - Fisk, Lollar, Schalk
3B - Ventura, Melton
RF - Baines, Ordonez

It's better than I thought, but what really stands out is the lack of guys after 1940 or so.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
Kenny Lofton
Patterson
<!--quoteo(post=9126:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM:name=cherp)-->QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 5 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9120:date=Jan 5 2009, 03:47 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 5 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9111:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:25 PM:name=cherp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cherp @ Jan 5 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9099:date=Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Jan 5 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If you want to start feeling better about yourselves, try doing this for the White Sox. I've put no thought at all into it, but I'm pretty sure their collection of talent is worse than ours.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C - Fisk, Lollar, Schalk
3B - Ventura, Melton
RF - Baines, Ordonez

Look at how freaking tiny he was. Yeah - that deal worked out very well for the Cubs. Bell sucked bigtime in two seasons with the Sox, and was out of the game after that. Sosa went on to become one of the most impactful hitters in baseball. I can't blame Schuler for the move. But Himes sure got the best of him.

i'm pretty sure bell drove in 112 runs for the sux his first year. at that time it seemed like a bad trade for the cubs.
Wang.
Kind of related - I was watching the MLB Network last night and they did the top 9 CF of all time. #8 was none other than Jimmy Ballgame. If I remember right it went something like...

9 - Puckett
8 - Edmonds
7 - Snider
6 - Griffey
5- Dimaggio
4- Speaker
3- Mantle
2- Cobb
1- Mays

Jimmy seems a little out of place.
<!--quoteo(post=9575:date=Jan 6 2009, 05:20 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 6 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Kind of related - I was watching the MLB Network last night and they did the top 9 CF of all time. #8 was none other than Jimmy Ballgame. If I remember right it went something like...

9 - Puckett
8 - Edmonds
7 - Snider
6 - Griffey
5- Dimaggio
4- Speaker
3- Mantle
2- Cobb
1- Mays

Jimmy seems a little out of place.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I mean 8 gold gloves, 4 All-Star games, and if he plays again he'll likely finish with 400 homers and currently has a .905 OPS. Plus he's made some of the greatest plays of all-time. He might have 2 of the top 5 best plays by a centerfielder, that we've recorded on camera anyway.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=9579:date=Jan 6 2009, 05:40 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 6 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=9575:date=Jan 6 2009, 05:20 PM:name=Brock)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brock @ Jan 6 2009, 05:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Kind of related - I was watching the MLB Network last night and they did the top 9 CF of all time. #8 was none other than Jimmy Ballgame. If I remember right it went something like...

9 - Puckett
8 - Edmonds
7 - Snider
6 - Griffey
5- Dimaggio
4- Speaker
3- Mantle
2- Cobb
1- Mays

Jimmy seems a little out of place.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I mean 8 gold gloves, 4 All-Star games, and if he plays again he'll likely finish with 400 homers and currently has a .905 OPS. Plus he's made some of the greatest plays of all-time. He might have 2 of the top 5 best plays by a centerfielder, that we've recorded on camera anyway.

Impressive numbers but in a hitter's era he's not a very likely Hall of Famer, so it's pretty hard to put him on a list like this.