Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs trade Pie
Miles is fine. I posted the other day that he's really pretty good against left handers and I'd think he'll see a lot more time against them than anything. He hits fine against both right and left handers but gets on base at a much better clip against left handers for whatever reason. He's really tough to strike out. He's just a solid player and won't do anything to hurt us. You can feel comfortable with him getting a bunt down when we need one or using him to hit and run. He's not going to make a lot of stupid mistakes on the bases. He'll be fine.
<!--quoteo(post=12367:date=Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM:name=HTC)-->QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Miles is fine. I posted the other day that he's really pretty good against left handers and I'd think he'll see a lot more time against them than anything. He hits fine against both right and left handers but gets on base at a much better clip against left handers for whatever reason. He's really tough to strike out. He's just a solid player and won't do anything to hurt us. You can feel comfortable with him getting a bunt down when we need one or using him to hit and run. He's not going to make a lot of stupid mistakes on the bases. He'll be fine.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, and I think you won't respect him enough unless you watch what he'll do for us on a daily basis. At the end of the year, his numbers aren't going to wow you, but he'll do things in each game that helps win.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"Felix has a lot of good qualities," general manager Jim Hendry said. "With his age, even if he was the fifth outfielder, it's hard to paint a scenario where he could've gotten enough at-bats to finish off his development."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"It's part of the game. [Pie] certainly showed you those skills from 18 to 22, why he was kind of a hot-ticket guy. He's a great outfielder and can run well, but at this point in his career, he hasn't been able to shorten his swing enough. When you play part time, it's hard to make adjustments."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
@TheBlogfines
I won't bump the Peavy thread for this but here us San Diego's paper's blog on the trade.
<!--quoteo(post=12370:date=Jan 18 2009, 10:40 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 18 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12367:date=Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Miles is fine. I posted the other day that he's really pretty good against left handers and I'd think he'll see a lot more time against them than anything. He hits fine against both right and left handers but gets on base at a much better clip against left handers for whatever reason. He's really tough to strike out. He's just a solid player and won't do anything to hurt us. You can feel comfortable with him getting a bunt down when we need one or using him to hit and run. He's not going to make a lot of stupid mistakes on the bases. He'll be fine.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep, and I think you won't respect him enough unless you watch what he'll do for us on a daily basis. At the end of the year, his numbers aren't going to wow you, but he'll do things in each game that helps win.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You know what really helps a team win? When guys get on base, get hits, and throw strikes.
Guys who "do the little things," aren't nearly as "valuable" as they're made out to be.
I know you think differently Clappster, but that how I feel.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=12386:date=Jan 19 2009, 01:41 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 19 2009, 01:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12370:date=Jan 18 2009, 10:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 18 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12367:date=Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Miles is fine. I posted the other day that he's really pretty good against left handers and I'd think he'll see a lot more time against them than anything. He hits fine against both right and left handers but gets on base at a much better clip against left handers for whatever reason. He's really tough to strike out. He's just a solid player and won't do anything to hurt us. You can feel comfortable with him getting a bunt down when we need one or using him to hit and run. He's not going to make a lot of stupid mistakes on the bases. He'll be fine.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You know what really helps a team win? When guys get on base, get hits, and throw strikes.
Guys who "do the little things," aren't nearly as "valuable" as they're made out to be.
Those guys are very valuable, and Miles did that last year at the plate. You need a mixture of them to win championships.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=12386:date=Jan 19 2009, 02:41 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jan 19 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12370:date=Jan 18 2009, 10:40 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jan 18 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=12367:date=Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM:name=HTC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (HTC @ Jan 18 2009, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Miles is fine. I posted the other day that he's really pretty good against left handers and I'd think he'll see a lot more time against them than anything. He hits fine against both right and left handers but gets on base at a much better clip against left handers for whatever reason. He's really tough to strike out. He's just a solid player and won't do anything to hurt us. You can feel comfortable with him getting a bunt down when we need one or using him to hit and run. He's not going to make a lot of stupid mistakes on the bases. He'll be fine.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Once again, removing all sense of grey from the equation. It's always A or B isn't isn't Mr. Bushman?
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
At least we still have Sam Fuld
<!--quoteo(post=12402:date=Jan 19 2009, 09:49 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jan 19 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->At least we still have Sam Fuld<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Phil Rogers called him a Spring Training sleeper in a recent column. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=12294:date=Jan 18 2009, 03:46 PM:name=twitterwoods)-->QUOTE (twitterwoods @ Jan 18 2009, 03:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Bummer that Pie didn't work out. Seeing what we got, makes me wish we traded him years ago when his value was higher but ah well. Who's the new top CF prospect in the system now?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

bam! my thoughts exactly. should have traded him last year for roberts. but i'm not gonna complain. i'm so glad to see him go. he'll be as successful in baltimore as patterson was.
Wang.
And it continues to make more and more sense everyday
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->To meet the $40 million payroll mandated by club chairman John Moores, the Padres apparently need to trade a high-salaried player either before or during the season. Whether Jake Peavy is that player still could hinge on whether prospective Cubs ownership approves a larger payroll for 2010, when Peavy is due $15 million.

Padres CEO Sandy Alderson, who has said Peavy likely will remain with the club until Opening Day, recently confirmed that San Diego's payroll projects about $5 million above budget.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->A trade of Peavy, who is due $11 million this season, would allow the Padres to open the season at or under $40 million. Barring a trade, the Padres could float a higher payroll in anticipation of shedding salary during the season.

"That is certainly one way of doing it, and that's typical of almost all clubs," Alderson said. "Whether there is a target number or is not a target number, that is a normal course of action for any team to consider. It would depend on where we are and what we are doing (on the field)."

Peavy and right fielder Brian Giles are the only likely trade candidates among the four Padres players guaranteed at least $3 million, a group that also includes pitcher Chris Young and first baseman Adrian Gonzalez.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Peavy's risk of injury could rise in March if the pitcher participates in the World Baseball Classic. Peavy said that because of what was at stake, his outings in the inaugural WBC three years ago were more intense than his typical March tuneups.

Peavy is more inclined to pitch in the WBC if he is with the Padres than if he is traded, his agent has said, because the pitcher potentially would want to familiarize himself with a new club in spring training.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs remain the most likely trade destination for Peavy. Asked about the Dodgers, who also are among Peavy's preferred clubs, Alderson said, “I don't see anything there.” Since November, the Padres have considered the Angels as “lurkers” for Peavy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Link (Sign On San Diego)
@TheBlogfines
KB and I need our own thread.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i thought the same thing about roberts last year.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=12485:date=Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jan 20 2009, 12:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I really don't see any way Hendry doesn't trade for Peavy before spring training. It's gonna happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Here are two ways that it might not happen:

- The new owner(s) could block the trade.
- The Padres might not like our offer.

That said, all signs seem to be pointing towards this happening.