Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Crap, ARod Tested Positive for Steroids!
<!--quoteo(post=16835:date=Feb 9 2009, 01:40 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Feb 9 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16771:date=Feb 9 2009, 07:20 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Feb 9 2009, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->first off, why is griffey above suspicion? seriously, why does he get a pass? he hit 56 home runs two years in a row right smack dab in the middle of the offensive explosion brought on by roids. why is sosa suspected but not griffey?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. From 96-99 he had seasons of 49, 56, 56, and 48. Three of those seasons were the only of his career where he topped 600 ABs.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If Griffey did it, to me that would be the biggest blow. Everybody respects Griffey. A-Rod's always been an asshole and same with Bonds of course, I don't think it surprised anybody and some people are thrilled to see them busted. If it were Griffey, I think a lot more people would be pretty saddened.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=16826:date=Feb 9 2009, 02:27 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 02:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16824:date=Feb 9 2009, 01:12 PM:name=Gad)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gad @ Feb 9 2009, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->A-Rod will end up being ok in terms of the HoF and such. Most of the guys who have admitted it seem to be doing ok in the court of public opinion.

It's only those who continue to deny in the face of overwhelming evidence that have completely ruined their legacy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not so sure. This is A-Rod we're talking about, not Pettite or Giambi. He's going to break Bonds' record and we're going to be talking about this for the next 5-10 years leading up to that. He's also denied using many times, including in front of the nation on 60 Minutes with Katie Couric. Some people are really, really pissed about this. Michael Kay blew the hell up today on his radio show and he's the Yankees broadcaster. People are furious at him, some even more so that he admitted it.
Well said. If it weren't for his denials in the past, I think this would be a non-issue in a few years. It's good that he came out and accepted responsibility, but this is such a pandora's box when you consider how the league and players union were complicit in hiding the details for 6 years, it could get really ugly and not just for A-Roid. This is bigger than even him.
<!--quoteo(post=16834:date=Feb 9 2009, 03:39 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->About the HOF, Kurkjian was also saying how he knows a ton of writers that absolutely will not vote for you if you're linked to steroids at all. I'd imagine that would include guys like Sammy who we don't even have any real evidence on. So if you're an admitted user, you're sure as hell not getting their vote.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The generation of writers who made their living covering these guys without a peep about steroids, seem to be on their high horse now. I think future generations or writers will be more accepting of the 'roid era. Bonds, Arod, Sosa will probably all get in eventually.
I like you guys a lot.
<!--quoteo(post=16842:date=Feb 9 2009, 02:54 PM:name=leonardsipes)-->QUOTE (leonardsipes @ Feb 9 2009, 02:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16834:date=Feb 9 2009, 03:39 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->About the HOF, Kurkjian was also saying how he knows a ton of writers that absolutely will not vote for you if you're linked to steroids at all. I'd imagine that would include guys like Sammy who we don't even have any real evidence on. So if you're an admitted user, you're sure as hell not getting their vote.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The generation of writers who made their living covering these guys without a peep about steroids, seem to be on their high horse now. I think future generations or writers will be more accepting of the 'roid era. Bonds, Arod, Sosa will probably all get in eventually.
I agree with all you said Sipes, especially that first sentence.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVcqLt9sJLs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVcqLt9sJLs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
@TheBlogfines
I'm just saying that to this point the guys that have been open about it and admitted it seem to be doing much better in the media than the guys who continue to deny. I'm not saying that's fair or correct, just that seems to be the reality to this point.

Granted, A-Rod is hands down the biggest name to go that route so it will be interesting to see where we go from here.

As for future writers giving players more of a pass, you only get 15 chances and the writers voting aren't gonna change too much between now and when the first wave of this group is no longer eligible.
<!--quoteo(post=16838:date=Feb 9 2009, 02:46 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16835:date=Feb 9 2009, 01:40 PM:name=dk123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dk123 @ Feb 9 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16771:date=Feb 9 2009, 07:20 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Feb 9 2009, 07:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->first off, why is griffey above suspicion? seriously, why does he get a pass? he hit 56 home runs two years in a row right smack dab in the middle of the offensive explosion brought on by roids. why is sosa suspected but not griffey?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. From 96-99 he had seasons of 49, 56, 56, and 48. Three of those seasons were the only of his career where he topped 600 ABs.
If Griffey did it, to me that would be the biggest blow. Everybody respects Griffey. A-Rod's always been an asshole and same with Bonds of course, I don't think it surprised anybody and some people are thrilled to see them busted. If it were Griffey, I think a lot more people would be pretty saddened.
This is exactly how I feel.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
Griffey has almost been as vocal as Schilling about being anti-roids. He's also a string bean, and looks almost exactly the same as he did at age 20. The years when he hit all those homers were his ages 25-29, when practically ALL MLB players produce their best seasons.

There's also the story in the Bond's book about his roiding that points to a few conversations between Bonds and Griffey (lifelong close friends...their dads were both MLB All-Stars, and peers), in which Bonds expresses his frustration and jealousy at the media attention heaped upon McGwire and Sosa in 1998. Bonds rightly considers them inferior (to him) players who were getting massive love suddenly, simply because they were shooting roids. So Bonds tells Griff he's gonna do it, and Griff says he isn't.

Bonds vaguely denied this all later, but the fact that it was published in a best-seller, and never legally challenged, seems to point to its veracity.

Common sense would seem to indicate that Griffey is clean. Almost every single roider who has been unmasked...there were lots of anecdotal signs along the way. Lots. But I've never heard a single whisper about Griffey.

But I guess you never know.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Clemens, Bonds, ARod, Sosa . . . all HOFers.
I'm losing more respect for him with every word he speaks in this interview with Gammons. What a douche.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=16898:date=Feb 9 2009, 03:16 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm losing more respect for him with every word he speaks in this interview with Gammons. What a douche.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Call me naive and negligent, but I believe him.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=16899:date=Feb 9 2009, 06:17 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Feb 9 2009, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=16898:date=Feb 9 2009, 03:16 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm losing more respect for him with every word he speaks in this interview with Gammons. What a douche.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Call me naive and negligent, but I believe him.

You are naive. I don't know enough about you to say if you're negligent.
<!--quoteo(post=16898:date=Feb 9 2009, 05:16 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 05:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm losing more respect for him with every word he speaks in this interview with Gammons. What a douche.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sounds fine to me.
<!--quoteo(post=16898:date=Feb 9 2009, 06:16 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 9 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm losing more respect for him with every word he speaks in this interview with Gammons. What a douche.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is the worst interview ever. I think he's about to break down and cry at these softball questions.
He attacked Selena Roberts for all this crap, when he admits her report is accurate. Now he's saying how "proud" he is that he did this interview. Please, go fuck yourself you oompa loompa looking fuckface.
@TheBlogfines