Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cory Provus
I don't know if this was mentioned anywhere, but Cory Provus is going to partner with Bob Uecker to do play by play for the Milwaukee Brewers this season. The previous guy, Jim Powell, is leaving to go to work with the Atlanta Braves.

Kind of cool that the 2 previous no names that have done the 1 inning gigs and score updates have both gone on to get MLB jobs. Says a bit for WGN and Pat.

Apparently Brewer fans are bitching about Provus getting the job because he grew up in IL, worked for the Cubs and is a Cubs fan. Of course, no one says shit about Wayne Larrivee, the Packers play by play guy, who worked with the Bears beforehand.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I didn't really care for the sound of Provus' voice, so good for him, and good for me!

Wasn't Larrivee a cheesehead before working for the Bears?
Larrivee was a Packer fan doing Bears games.

I never thought Provus was all that great during is 1 inning stints. I abide Dude, glad we don't have to hear him anymore. But good for him.
Yes, Larrivee grew up in Wisconsin and was a Packer fan. So I guess it's not quite the same. Though it's still just a job. You do what you get paid to do.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=18296:date=Feb 17 2009, 10:40 AM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Feb 17 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yes, Larrivee grew up in Wisconsin and was a Packer fan. So I guess it's not quite the same. Though it's still just a job. You do what you get paid to do.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So you would be fine with Buck or any sux guy doing the Cubs on WGN?
<!--quoteo(post=18332:date=Feb 17 2009, 12:16 PM:name=wcplummer)-->QUOTE (wcplummer @ Feb 17 2009, 12:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18296:date=Feb 17 2009, 10:40 AM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Feb 17 2009, 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yes, Larrivee grew up in Wisconsin and was a Packer fan. So I guess it's not quite the same. Though it's still just a job. You do what you get paid to do.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So you would be fine with Buck or any sux guy doing the Cubs on WGN?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Buck, no. Most other guys. Yes. If the guy does his job, learns the team and can talk baseball, I usually have little problem.
I got nothin'.

Andy
if i was a broadcaster and the white sox job was the only one i could get, i'd find a new profession.
Wang.
Joe Buck or Harrelson on WGN? To me it'd be a tough choice.
I sure as hell would use my mute switch like never before.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
i loved provus' call on the reed johnson diving catch
Didn't Kasper call Brewers games years ago? I don't think it matters unless the broadcaster in question had a long history with a particular team or grew up rooting for another. I wasn't that impressed with either Mazur or Provus, and was kind of surprised that either would be hired away to do PBP for a ML team so soon. It's shocking how bad the state of baseball broadcasting is these days, and to me this is further proof.
Any official or even unofficial word on who is taking over for Provus?
A herd of buffalo can move only as fast as the slowest buffalo. When the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

In much the same way the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, we all know, kills brain cells, but naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.
<!--quoteo(post=18355:date=Feb 17 2009, 01:20 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Feb 17 2009, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Joe Buck or Harrelson on WGN? To me it'd be a tough choice.
I sure as hell would use my mute switch like never before.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That wouldn't be tough at all, it'd be Buck 10,000x over.
<!--quoteo(post=18388:date=Feb 17 2009, 02:44 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 17 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Didn't Kasper call Brewers games years ago?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure about that one. I know he did Marlin games. Pat Hughes used to do Brewers games.
I didnt know this, I liked provus and his post-game show after the games were really great,
<!--quoteo(post=18646:date=Feb 18 2009, 06:09 AM:name=Tailgater)-->QUOTE (Tailgater @ Feb 18 2009, 06:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=18388:date=Feb 17 2009, 02:44 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 17 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Didn't Kasper call Brewers games years ago?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not sure about that one. I know he did Marlin games. Pat Hughes used to do Brewers games.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am pretty sure Kasper called Brewer games before he did the Marlins.