Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soriano
<!--quoteo(post=29130:date=Apr 9 2009, 02:20 PM:name=CFOrfan)-->QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Apr 9 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29027:date=Apr 9 2009, 06:42 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Apr 9 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In two weeks you'll be talking about how terrible he looks. And then in a month you'll be thinking he's the best player in the universe. Dude is streaky.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm serious when I say this, <b>he might have one of the best offensive years we've seen on the Cubs since the Sosa years.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree. He looks great. The difference is that Sosa would have 160 RBI's, while Soriano won't even break 100.
Why? (kicks ground, whistles, softly...)
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=29146:date=Apr 9 2009, 02:04 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 9 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29130:date=Apr 9 2009, 02:20 PM:name=CFOrfan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CFOrfan @ Apr 9 2009, 02:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29027:date=Apr 9 2009, 06:42 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Apr 9 2009, 06:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In two weeks you'll be talking about how terrible he looks. And then in a month you'll be thinking he's the best player in the universe. Dude is streaky.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm serious when I say this, <b>he might have one of the best offensive years we've seen on the Cubs since the Sosa years.</b>
I agree. He looks great. The difference is that Sosa would have 160 RBI's, while Soriano won't even break 100.
Why? (kicks ground, whistles, softly...)
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
Not to put the poo-poo on all the Soriano fellating.....but have you guys noticed that A-Ram is absolutely killing the ball right now? If the Cubs lead the league in wins, A-Ram will get more MVP votes than Soriano...book it!
<!--quoteo(post=29181:date=Apr 9 2009, 06:24 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ Apr 9 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to put the poo-poo on all the Soriano fellating.....but have you guys noticed that A-Ram is absolutely killing the ball right now? If the Cubs lead the league in wins, A-Ram will get more MVP votes than Soriano...book it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Runnys, you're absolutely right, but do you know why?
It's because MVP voters consider the stat of "RBI" to be the Holy Grail. Indeed, those voters have really been raked over the coals in recent years for giving the award to undeserved players (Morneau, Ryan Howard) just because they were the big RBI men that year. And if Alf and Rammy have the exact same hitting stats, Rammy will end up with 30-40 more ribbies.

I promise I won't belabor this point for the next 5 months; as long as the Cubs are winning, I truly don't care about the batting order. But in October, where every tiny advantage counts, where you're facing the best pitchers on the planet...
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=29255:date=Apr 10 2009, 02:05 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29181:date=Apr 9 2009, 06:24 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Apr 9 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to put the poo-poo on all the Soriano fellating.....but have you guys noticed that A-Ram is absolutely killing the ball right now? If the Cubs lead the league in wins, A-Ram will get more MVP votes than Soriano...book it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's because MVP voters consider the stat of "RBI" to be the Holy Grail. Indeed, those voters have really been raked over the coals in recent years for giving the award to undeserved players (Morneau, Ryan Howard) just because they were the big RBI men that year. And if Alf and Rammy have the exact same hitting stats, Rammy will end up with 30-40 more ribbies.

I promise I won't belabor this point for the next 5 months; as long as the Cubs are winning, I truly don't care about the batting order. But in October, where every tiny advantage counts, where you're facing the best pitchers on the planet...

without morneau or howard, neither of those teams make the playoffs.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=29260:date=Apr 10 2009, 02:12 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 10 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29255:date=Apr 10 2009, 02:05 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29181:date=Apr 9 2009, 06:24 PM:name=Runnys)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runnys @ Apr 9 2009, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Not to put the poo-poo on all the Soriano fellating.....but have you guys noticed that A-Ram is absolutely killing the ball right now? If the Cubs lead the league in wins, A-Ram will get more MVP votes than Soriano...book it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

without morneau or howard, neither of those teams make the playoffs.
Or without Mauer and Santana, or Rollins or Utley. No one player can singlehandedly win a division.
The year Morneau won, Jeter had a MUCH better year, and guess what? His team also made the playoffs. I don't even like Jeter. I just like fairness.
But Morneau had more RBI, so, by default, he unfairly wins the award.
The Yankees didn't make the playoffs last year...
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->And if Alf and Rammy have the exact same hitting stats, Rammy will end up with 30-40 more ribbies.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And that's just totally made up.
<!--quoteo(post=29426:date=Apr 10 2009, 06:36 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Apr 10 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Yankees didn't make the playoffs last year...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But they did in 2006, the year we were referring to.

Ruby: Alex, what are 36 and 31?
Trebek: Correct, ruby, in answer to the question "How many more RBI's has Aramis had than Soriano in the two years they've hit in the same lineup?"
<!--quoteo(post=29433:date=Apr 10 2009, 06:50 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29426:date=Apr 10 2009, 06:36 PM:name=PcB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PcB @ Apr 10 2009, 06:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The Yankees didn't make the playoffs last year...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But they did in 2006, the year we were referring to.

Ruby: Alex, what are 36 and 31?
Trebek: Correct, ruby, in answer to the question "How many more RBI's has Aramis had than Soriano in the two years they've hit in the same lineup?"
Ramirez PAs the last 2 years: 1203; RBI: 212; 1 RBI per 5.675 ABs

Soriano PAs the last 2 years: 1118; RBI: 145; 1 RBI per 7.710 ABs

So let's say they both get 550 PA this year, that would give Ramirez 97 RBI and Soriano 72 RBI. Or 25 less RBI, not 40 less RBI like you said.
And gaining a 25-run advantage is negligible and worthless?
<!--quoteo(post=29460:date=Apr 10 2009, 10:05 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And gaining a 25-run advantage is negligible and worthless?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Never said a word about that, I just pointed out that just like everything else you post, it's either completely made up or completely exaggerated.
Also, there's no advantage being gained, the RBIs are just being distributed differently. Moving Soriano somewhere in the order other than leadoff isn't gonna create more than possibly a handful of more scoring opportunities for the Cubs. And if historic numbers mean anything, it would indicate that Soriano's performance would go down, likely leading to the Cubs scoring even less.
<!--quoteo(post=29469:date=Apr 10 2009, 10:24 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 10 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29460:date=Apr 10 2009, 10:05 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And gaining a 25-run advantage is negligible and worthless?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Never said a word about that, I just pointed out that just like everything else you post, it's either completely made up or completely exaggerated.
And that's a typical ruby misrepresentation. Or, since it's the 90th time, RUBY MISREPRESENTATION.

I said there was about a 30-40 difference in RBI. So you quoted me as saying 40.
Typical.
Then after going through some serious math, and some other bizarre machinations, you pointed out that "Aha! It isn't a 30 RBI difference, it's a 25 RBI difference!!!!"
Then you accuse <i>me</i> of exaggeration.

Typical.
<!--quoteo(post=29473:date=Apr 10 2009, 10:31 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29469:date=Apr 10 2009, 10:24 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 10 2009, 10:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=29460:date=Apr 10 2009, 10:05 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 10 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And gaining a 25-run advantage is negligible and worthless?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
And that's a typical ruby misrepresentation. Or, since it's the 90th time, RUBY MISREPRESENTATION.

I said there was about a 30-40 difference in RBI. So you quoted me as saying 40.
Typical.
Then after going through some serious math, and some other bizarre machinations, you pointed out that "Aha! It isn't a 30 RBI difference, it's a 25 RBI difference!!!!"
Then you accuse <i>me</i> of exaggeration.

Typical.
So misrepresenting something by 5-15 RBIs isn't an exaggeration? Weird.