Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good News!
Marmol will now pitch in the game's most critical situations
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
He'll pitch in the game's most critical situation, up until the 9th inning, where it's the toughest inning to get 3 outs and the pressure's on. The closer role may be overrated, but now people are also underrating it. You're not going to win any titles without a good closer.
@TheBlogfines
Marmol has a pretty decent record of choking in the post season in his last two Caribbean World Series appearances, The WBC, and against the Dbags in 07. Let's not weaken two spots by having Marmol close, at least he should still be able to dominate in the 7th and 8th innings.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
I like the decision, but if this was 2 years from now, it's a decision that wouldn't be made. Marmol's not a free agent for 4 more seasons. It also has the advantage of probably saving money when Marmol goes into arbitration next year.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=25684:date=Mar 29 2009, 06:39 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 29 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like the decision, but if this was 2 years from now, it's a decision that wouldn't be made. Marmol's not a free agent for 4 more seasons. It also has the advantage of probably saving money when Marmol goes into arbitration next year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You and Ace think alike. You are correct that it saves money when Marmol goes into arbitration, but it will cost a LOT more when Gregg hits Free Agency.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
This pleases me.
I'm fine with this as long as Marmol isn't abused and overused all season.
<!--quoteo(post=25689:date=Mar 29 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Mar 29 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This pleases me.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Ditto
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=25701:date=Mar 29 2009, 09:36 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 29 2009, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm fine with this as long as Marmol isn't abused and overused all season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bingo.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=25684:date=Mar 29 2009, 07:39 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Mar 29 2009, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like the decision, but if this was 2 years from now, it's a decision that wouldn't be made. Marmol's not a free agent for 4 more seasons. It also has the advantage of probably saving money when Marmol goes into arbitration next year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should read Bleacher Nation. Or else.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
colour me tickled.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=25648:date=Mar 29 2009, 05:49 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 29 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He'll pitch in the game's most critical situation, up until the 9th inning, where it's the toughest inning to get 3 outs and the pressure's on. The closer role may be overrated, but now people are also underrating it. You're not going to win any titles without a good closer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly. I don't know how you can make a blanket statement that the 7th and 8th innings are the games most crucial situations. The most crucial situation could come in the 3rd inning, you never know. You could easily mow through the bottom on the order in the 8th only to have to face the heart of the lineup in the 9th.
<!--quoteo(post=25781:date=Mar 30 2009, 01:50 PM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Mar 30 2009, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=25648:date=Mar 29 2009, 05:49 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 29 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He'll pitch in the game's most critical situation, up until the 9th inning, where it's the toughest inning to get 3 outs and the pressure's on. The closer role may be overrated, but now people are also underrating it. You're not going to win any titles without a good closer.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly. I don't know how you can make a blanket statement that the 7th and 8th innings are the games most crucial situations. The most crucial situation could come in the 3rd inning, you never know. You could easily mow through the bottom on the order in the 8th only to have to face the heart of the lineup in the 9th.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The difference is that Marmol would often come in after the starter got himself into trouble. A couple of guys on base, the go-ahead run at 3B, the middle of the order coming up, etc. And he'd deliver a strikeout or a popup and get you out of it. If Marmol was the designated closer, he wouldn't be available to do that. Instead, Gregg would be the guy -- and Gregg doesn't miss as many bats as Marmol does. Not even close.

Most of the time, the closer comes in at the start of the 9th with nobody on base. Sure -- he can come in with a 1-run lead and might have to face Pujols or Berkman. That situation will happen. But more often than not, the situation will be less stressful than that.
3 good points have been made.

1. Marmol will pitch in crucial situations before the 9th (more often the not the most crucial situation).

2. Marmol has had enough high profile failures in the 9th, that it is not worth the risk.

3. You will never get a better set up man for what the Cubs pay Marmol. If Gregg is the set up man and pitches well, the Cubs will have to pay him pretty close to what he could get signing somewhere else as a closer.

This is a good decision.
I like you guys a lot.