Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fontenot
Don't know if it's been brought up, but Font is now hitting below the mendoza line.
I got nothin'.

Andy
What cracks me up about the beginning of the season is guys go through slumps all the time throughout the season, but if they do it at the very beginning it gets amplified 10 fold because you can easily figure out their numbers.

By the way, he's still getting on base at a .360 clip. This is exactly why it's so great to have players that can get on base. Even when they struggle, their still helping out the team.
<!--quoteo(post=32539:date=Apr 23 2009, 12:55 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 23 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->What cracks me up about the beginning of the season is guys go through slumps all the time throughout the season, but if they do it at the very beginning it gets amplified 10 fold because you can easily figure out their numbers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, all the freaking out over guys or praising guys like Vitters through a dozen games or so just cracks me up. It's baseball, slumps happen and great streaks happen. How'd Chris Shelton turn out?

If Fontenot's hitting .200 on June 1st, I'll start to get worried.
@TheBlogfines
fontenot, soto, lee, and bradley are killing us. it amazes me that we've won 8 games. theriot is turning into a pumpkin again too.

we're on the verge of being shut out twice in a row. maybe that doesn't bother you, but it's driving me nuts.
Wang.
I'm pretty much done with Fontenot.
<!--quoteo(post=32576:date=Apr 23 2009, 01:58 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 23 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm pretty much done with Fontenot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because 42 at bats tells a lot more than his 477 at bats the last 2 years.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=32577:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32576:date=Apr 23 2009, 01:58 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 23 2009, 01:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm pretty much done with Fontenot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Because 42 at bats tells a lot more than his 477 at bats the last 2 years.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He's never been knighted as the full-time 2B before.
<!--quoteo(post=32582:date=Apr 23 2009, 02:03 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 23 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32577:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[quote name='Butcher' e
Because 42 at bats tells a lot more than his 477 at bats the last 2 years.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't think Fontenot's the type that is going to let that really make a difference on his performance at the plate. Certainly hasn't in the field. It's insane to put so much into statistics of the first month of the season.
@TheBlogfines
Now is when we will see if Fontenot is a true major leaguer. Pitchers are making adjustments to him, and now he must overcome them.
<!--quoteo(post=32588:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:05 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 23 2009, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32582:date=Apr 23 2009, 02:03 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Apr 23 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32577:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 23 2009, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->[quote name='Butcher' e
Because 42 at bats tells a lot more than his 477 at bats the last 2 years.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't think Fontenot's the type that is going to let that really make a difference on his performance at the plate. Certainly hasn't in the field. It's insane to put so much into statistics of the first month of the season.
First month? We haven't even played 20 games and people think Fontenot and Bradley are toast.
I swear we hit the same argument every year. By the measure of some, we shouldn't really talk about any concerns until June 1st. The 1st 2 months don't really count. Can't tell anything by the first 50-100 at bats. First 50 games. So if the Cubs hit .250 with a 4.50 era and go 25/25 through their first 50, it's no biggy, because early season stats don't mean anything.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=32599:date=Apr 23 2009, 02:08 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 23 2009, 02:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I swear we hit the same argument every year. By the measure of some, we shouldn't really talk about any concerns until June 1st. The 1st 2 months don't really count. Can't tell anything by the first 50-100 at bats. First 50 games. So if the Cubs hit .250 with a 4.50 era and go 25/25 through their first 50, it's no biggy, because early season stats don't mean anything.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
They mean something, but they don't tell the whole story like people are making it out to be for guys like Bradley, Fontenot, Soto, and Lee. Look around the league, there's tons of very good players sucking. Some guys get off to super slow starts. Check back in 3 months and most all of them will be doing just fine, and their numbers will be there at the end of the year. That's all that matters.
@TheBlogfines
For some reason, left-handedness seems to be the only thing that Lou and Hendry care about. It shaped the entire offseason and it continues to shape decisions during the season.
It's also worth pointing out Fontenot came in with a .439 obp against right-handers, which is all he should be facing. Miles should be playing every game against left-handers.
@TheBlogfines
How are Miles's platoon splits? Does he really hammer lefties?

In general, I agree with Clapp's basic premise here: 14 games <i>screams</i> small sample size. They play 148 more.
Font is fielding well, and getting on base; those are his 2 most important jobs.
I like the little bastard.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance