Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fontenot
Also, I don't think there's a problem with giving Fontenot a chance to play against lefties. If he proves he can hit them with more chances, it's a lot better to have at least one lefty in the lineup against left-handed pitchers than it is to be strictly right-handed. If Fontenot shows he can't hit them in the next few weeks, Lou will keep him out against the lefties.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=32669:date=Apr 23 2009, 04:08 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Apr 23 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32662:date=Apr 23 2009, 04:02 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 23 2009, 04:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32658:date=Apr 23 2009, 04:00 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 23 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32657:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:59 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 23 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32653:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:56 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Apr 23 2009, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32647:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:53 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 23 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32645:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:51 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 23 2009, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32638:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:47 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 23 2009, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32625:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:37 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 23 2009, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32618:date=Apr 23 2009, 03:32 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 23 2009, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's also worth pointing out Fontenot came in with a .439 obp against right-handers, which is all he should be facing. Miles should be playing every game against left-handers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Another series of questionable decisions by Lou.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Lou has been the biggest problem with this team so far, no one can convince me otherwise.
Yep, I think he should have stayed in retirement. I like the guy's attitude, but not his decision-making.
From the construction of the team, to player management, to in-game strategy, he's been shitty since the 2008 off season began.

He is definitely the worst manager we've had that lead us to back to back division titles, at least in my lifetime.
Until he wins a single playoff game, it really doesn't matter.
So Dusty Baker is CLEARLY a better manager, since he not only won a game, but a whole series?
The only area where Lou has been superior has been in managing the clubhouse and being fair with the media and fans. Lou's tenure isn't over yet, so it remains to be seen how they compare. Besides, you don't judge a manager only by what happens during the regular season.

You don't judge a manager ONLY by the regular season, but I will put FAR more credence into his actions over 162 games than I will in his actions over 3.
I guess we'll have to see how everyone feels about that after a (potential) 3rd season with nothing to show for it in the postseason. I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but nothing that I see from this team leads me to believe it will go deep into the postseason.
<!--quoteo(post=32668:date=Apr 23 2009, 04:08 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 23 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32665:date=Apr 23 2009, 04:04 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Apr 23 2009, 04:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lou hasn't been fantastic this year by any means, but I think a lot of that has to do with learning this new squad. He had some problems for the first couple months in '07 when he was getting to know his roster. I think by the time June rolls around and he knows what to expect from the bullpen, Miles, etc. he'll fall into a much better and things will be just fine.

And Lou isn't why the Cubs are 0-6 in the last 2 playoffs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Well, he helped construct the team that shit itself and made some questionable decisions, so I'm not placing all the blame on him, but he definitely deserves some.

I don't think you can praise him for being such a great manager, but then absolve him from blame when he makes poor decisions and then the team doesn't respond well. Why even have a manager if it's only on the players?
I'm not sure if you were speaking directly towards me or not, but I'm not absolving him from blame. The two biggest things people point out about Lou in the playoffs was pulling Z and starting Fukudome. Well I didn't agree with the first move, he went to arguably the best setup guy in baseball, someone that everyone trusted to get the job done, and he didn't. The Fukudome decision was a legit error, but the series wasn't lost because he was in the lineup.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
The 08 playoffs were mostly on the offense shitting the bed. Defense sucked, pitching sucked in all but one game, but it's hard to win any games when you don't score more than 2 runs or whatever they were scoring. I don't want to look it up to remind myself.
@TheBlogfines
Lots of managers who run teams that spend more money than 25 other teams guide their team to the playoffs.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=32699:date=Apr 23 2009, 05:35 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Apr 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lots of managers who run teams that spend more money than 25 other teams guide their team to the playoffs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
True dat.
It sucks that you kind of have to settle for a either manager who relates well to his players (Lou, Dusty), or a manager who remotely understands strategy and percentages. I guess Torre is in the same category, and TLR on the other end of the spectrum.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=32663:date=Apr 23 2009, 05:03 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 23 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just out of curiosity, can I be concerned about the bullpen or is it too early in the season?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a legitimate concern because outside of Marmol and Heilman, our bullpen hasn't proven in the past that it can be excellent.
<!--quoteo(post=32702:date=Apr 23 2009, 05:43 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 23 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32663:date=Apr 23 2009, 05:03 PM:name=Andy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Andy @ Apr 23 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just out of curiosity, can I be concerned about the bullpen or is it too early in the season?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's a legitimate concern because outside of Marmol and Heilman, our bullpen hasn't proven in the past that it can be excellent.
Yes, we have a right to be concerned.

The main problem is that it's really hard to predict bullpen success. The vast majority of pen pitchers are in the pen because they're not good enough to be starters, so you're dealing with fringe major-leaguers.

And for some reason, relievers tend to put up erratic numbers from season to season; one of the reasons the Rays went to the Series last year was because, for no obvious reason, their bullpen guys had a great year (the year before, they'd completely sucked). Same thing for the '05 WSox.

It's kind of frightening.
But Lou isn't doing himself any favors with his knee-jerk reactions.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=32701:date=Apr 23 2009, 05:43 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 23 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=32699:date=Apr 23 2009, 05:35 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Apr 23 2009, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lots of managers who run teams that spend more money than 25 other teams guide their team to the playoffs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
True dat.
It sucks that you kind of have to settle for a either manager who relates well to his players (Lou, Dusty), or a manager who remotely understands strategy and percentages. I guess Torre is in the same category, and TLR on the other end of the spectrum.

If a manager is considered a good or great strategist, he is taking taking credit for wins away from his players. In the long run, to be considered a players manager, you can't be considered an above average strategy guy.
I like you guys a lot.
Lou is annoying sometimes and I disagree with a lot of his decisions early on, but there's not another manager I'd rather have for this team and with our history.
@TheBlogfines
You guys are fucking insane.

Sorry to be so harsh, but blaming Pinella because the team shit the bed during a 5 game series is complete and utter bullshit.

By your (fucking insane) definition, I want all of you fuckers to picket the Hall of Fame when they induct Bobby Cox. Then you can explain to everyone what a shitty manager he is because he managed his team to 15 division titles, but only won ONE world series. Clearly he shit the bed in the other 14. Fuck his career .556 winning percentage. The Braves probably had a big payroll.

Anything can fucking happen in a 5 or 7 game series. ANYTHING. The Dodgers were a MUCH better team than the Cubs in the second half last year. Losing to them is NOT a shock. Soriano shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. Lee shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. Dempster shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. The entire FUCKING INFIELD making an error in one game, is NOT Lou's fault. Managers should not be held blameless, but to ignore 97 wins during the regular season is complete bullshit (and Ace I don't give a fuck what their payroll is, the fucking Yankees didn't win 97).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but this, along with people who believe the managers lineup cost us the game even when we lose 7-1, drives me fucking crazy. Lou didn't single handedly win us 97 games last year, but he didn't lose those 3 against the Dodgers. The players did.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=32758:date=Apr 23 2009, 09:27 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Apr 23 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You guys are fucking insane.

Sorry to be so harsh, but blaming Pinella because the team shit the bed during a 5 game series is complete and utter bullshit.

By your (fucking insane) definition, I want all of you fuckers to picket the Hall of Fame when they induct Bobby Cox. Then you can explain to everyone what a shitty manager he is because he managed his team to 15 division titles, but only won ONE world series. Clearly he shit the bed in the other 14. Fuck his career .556 winning percentage. The Braves probably had a big payroll.

Anything can fucking happen in a 5 or 7 game series. ANYTHING. The Dodgers were a MUCH better team than the Cubs in the second half last year. Losing to them is NOT a shock. Soriano shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. Lee shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. Dempster shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. The entire FUCKING INFIELD making an error in one game, is NOT Lou's fault. Managers should not be held blameless, but to ignore 97 wins during the regular season is complete bullshit (and Ace I don't give a fuck what their payroll is, the fucking Yankees didn't win 97).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but this, along with people who believe the managers lineup cost us the game even when we lose 7-1, drives me fucking crazy. Lou didn't single handedly win us 97 games last year, but he didn't lose those 3 against the Dodgers. The players did.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I never said a word about the last 2 years and the playoff losses had little to nothing to do with Pinella. This year though, actually since the end of last year, I've found myself questioning him on weekly, if not daily basis.
<!--quoteo(post=32758:date=Apr 23 2009, 08:27 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Apr 23 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You guys are fucking insane.

Anything can fucking happen in a 5 or 7 game series. ANYTHING. The Dodgers were a MUCH better team than the Cubs in the second half last year. Losing to them is NOT a shock. Soriano shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. <b>Lee shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault</b>. Dempster shitting the bed is NOT Lou's fault. The entire FUCKING INFIELD making an error in one game, is NOT Lou's fault. Managers should not be held blameless, but to ignore 97 wins during the regular season is complete bullshit (and Ace I don't give a fuck what their payroll is, the fucking Yankees didn't win 97).

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but this, along with people who believe the managers lineup cost us the game even when we lose 7-1, drives me fucking crazy. Lou didn't single handedly win us 97 games last year, but he didn't lose those 3 against the Dodgers. The players did.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You mean Ramirez.

But yeah I completely agree.
@TheBlogfines
Bobby Cox is the most overrated manager of all time. There, I said it.

And I never blamed Lou entirely for losing the last 6 playoff games. I just stated that he didn't help our cause with some of his questionable decisions. Our team just didn't look prepared, and he shares some of the blame in that.
<!--quoteo(post=32758:date=Apr 23 2009, 09:27 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Apr 23 2009, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You guys are fucking insane.

wow, when bt goes off, he goes off. i can't argue a single word he said. this may be the post of the year right here. to blame lou for the playoffs is completely misguided. pulling zambrano for marmol was not the wrong move. he did that all season with success. batting sparkle 2nd may have been a poor decision, but that had nothing to do with why they lost that series.
Wang.