Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy crap
Did you guys see this the other night? It's amazing that he isn't dead. Must be the steroids...

[Image: rljez6.gif]
I'm not all that worried about Ankiel, but did they call that a catch or not? It looks like he had that for 2 steps in the glove, then dropped it.
I got nothin'.

Andy
That's just Ankiel being Ankiel, giving his 100% effort on every play.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/jerkit.gif[/img]

Too bad that wasn't at Wrigley.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=36407:date=May 8 2009, 01:25 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ May 8 2009, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not all that worried about Ankiel, but did they call that a catch or not? It looks like he had that for 2 steps in the glove, then dropped it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No catch, you have to physically transfer the ball from your glove (or at least try to).
that was the funniest video i ever saw. i could waatch that over and over. the fact he dropped it is icing on the cake.
Wang.
Wow...you guys are kind of heartless. That was an amazing effort....if any of our players do that we would be going nuts about the outstanding effort that he made.
<!--quoteo(post=36419:date=May 8 2009, 01:59 PM:name=Runnys)-->QUOTE (Runnys @ May 8 2009, 01:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Wow...you guys are kind of heartless. That was an amazing effort....if any of our players do that we would be going nuts about the outstanding effort that he made.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But, he plays for the Cardinals. Also the falling down/running into the wall really had nothing to do with great effort. He almost made a catch and then fell down, head first into a wall at full speed. Only entertaining because he plays for the cards, would be equally enjoyable if he played for the sox.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
I saw that play when it happened. I hoped he was okay but did chuckle just a little. Also I thought they called that a catch?
<!--quoteo(post=36408:date=May 8 2009, 01:28 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ May 8 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That's just Ankiel being Ankiel, giving his 100% effort on every play.

Too bad that wasn't at Wrigley.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Really? Wow, dude, I don't like him either but to mock his effort on that play makes no sense.

And I don't remember if it was a catch, but it should have been, he caught it, took a step and then transferred it to his hand.
[Image: 2hz4sk2.jpg]
It was ruled a catch.
I thought it should be a catch. He seems to have transferred it to his throwing hand after catching it. It did land Ankiel on the 15-day DL. Apparently his shoulder actually took the worst of it. I give him kudos for making the catch.
I got nothin'.

Andy
This should make everyone throw up in their mouth a little bit.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Spectacular doesn't even describe the way Rick Ankiel made a catch against the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday night. The former pitcher turned center fielder went all out on a ball hit by Pedro Feliz in the 8th inning of the St. Louis Cardinals matchup against the defending champs.

But Ankiel suffered a tough injury when he went head first into the wall after making a tremendous catch. Preliminary reports on FOX Sports Network said that Ankiel was doing okay and that further tests would take place.

The catch though was quite amazing despite the injury. The Cardinals were actually traliing 6-1 after Ryan Howard had belted a grand slam for the Phillies against Cardinals started Kyle Lohse. The Rick Ankiel catch was one of the few bright moments on a night when Cardinals bats were silenced. Ankiel lay motionless after making the catch as the ball dropped from his glove. Teammate Chris Duncan was the first near him. Then came trainers and other teammates to make sure that Ankiel was okay. After a brief pause in the game, Rick Ankiel was carried out on a stretcher and gave a thumbs up to the crowd as he left the game.

The television commentators on FSN were saying it was something similar to whiplash. Let's hope he's just fine and back in action soon for the red hot and first place Cardinals. Baseball needs more stories like the Rick Ankiel story. Here's a guy who was once a highly rated pitcher but fell from grace after enduring control problems. He was sent down to the minors and accomplished the rare return to baseball as a position player.

The Rick Ankiel highlight reel catches have been making Sportscenter ever since. Rick Ankiel has become one of the most exciting centerfielders in baseball. Perhaps it's because of his reckless disregard for his body like the Rick Ankiel catch we saw on Monday against the Phillies. His glovework has been incredible to say the least. Let's hope he's back on the field sooner than later. Because baseball needs guys like that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=36436:date=May 8 2009, 03:29 PM:name=Baron)-->QUOTE (Baron @ May 8 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=36408:date=May 8 2009, 01:28 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ May 8 2009, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That's just Ankiel being Ankiel, giving his 100% effort on every play.

Too bad that wasn't at Wrigley.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Really? Wow, dude, I don't like him either but to mock his effort on that play makes no sense.

And I don't remember if it was a catch, but it should have been, he caught it, took a step and then transferred it to his hand.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, now that I look at it closer, he did transfer it, it should be a catch. I thought they ruled it a no catch though?
Geez... I hate the Cardinals and Ankiel as much as anybody, but I sure as hell wasn't hoping he was hurt badly when I saw that highlight. Wouldn't wish that upon anybody, that was scary as hell.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=36439:date=May 8 2009, 03:34 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ May 8 2009, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This should make everyone throw up in their mouth a little bit.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Spectacular doesn't even describe the way Rick Ankiel made a catch against the Philadelphia Phillies on Monday night. The former pitcher turned center fielder went all out on a ball hit by Pedro Feliz in the 8th inning of the St. Louis Cardinals matchup against the defending champs.

But Ankiel suffered a tough injury when he went head first into the wall after making a tremendous catch. Preliminary reports on FOX Sports Network said that Ankiel was doing okay and that further tests would take place.

The catch though was quite amazing despite the injury. The Cardinals were actually traliing 6-1 after Ryan Howard had belted a grand slam for the Phillies against Cardinals started Kyle Lohse. The Rick Ankiel catch was one of the few bright moments on a night when Cardinals bats were silenced. Ankiel lay motionless after making the catch as the ball dropped from his glove. Teammate Chris Duncan was the first near him. Then came trainers and other teammates to make sure that Ankiel was okay. After a brief pause in the game, Rick Ankiel was carried out on a stretcher and gave a thumbs up to the crowd as he left the game.

The television commentators on FSN were saying it was something similar to whiplash. Let's hope he's just fine and back in action soon for the red hot and first place Cardinals. Baseball needs more stories like the Rick Ankiel story. Here's a guy who was once a highly rated pitcher but fell from grace after enduring control problems. He was sent down to the minors and accomplished the rare return to baseball as a position player.

The Rick Ankiel highlight reel catches have been making Sportscenter ever since. Rick Ankiel has become one of the most exciting centerfielders in baseball. Perhaps it's because of his reckless disregard for his body like the Rick Ankiel catch we saw on Monday against the Phillies. His glovework has been incredible to say the least. Let's hope he's back on the field sooner than later. Because baseball needs guys like that.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I hope that's from a message board and not from an actual column or article.

Baseball needs more stories like the Rick Ankiel story? You mean the one where a guy loses his shit, can't hit the side of a barn as a pitcher, goes into the minors, loads up on HGH and comes back to the majors as an outfielder? That Rick Ankiel story?