Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So what's going to change this season?
<!--quoteo(post=39488:date=May 22 2009, 05:12 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 22 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39482:date=May 22 2009, 03:08 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 22 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Small sample size, I know. But this year, Freel's OPS+ is.................five.
(5)
3 singles for 2009

Will he "turn it around" at age 33? How does this man have a job? How does he have a career? He's basically a much worse Aaron Miles, yet he's made nearly $8 million dollars in his career.

(I don't know that much about him, but I assume that he must be an Ozzie Smith-caliber fielder, correct? That would be the only plausible explanation for his continued employment.)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Freel's been one of the best utility men in baseball for years. He can play a bunch of positions adequately, he plays harder than anybody on the team, has some very good speed, and is a .270+ hitter when he's right. He's useful. You need to throw away OPS+ for some players in baseball, that's not a fair way to measure a player like Freel.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Three years ago, I might agree with you. Now? Not so much.
<!--quoteo(post=39488:date=May 22 2009, 05:12 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 22 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39482:date=May 22 2009, 03:08 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 22 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Small sample size, I know. But this year, Freel's OPS+ is.................five.
(5)
3 singles for 2009
Will he "turn it around" at age 33? How does this man have a job? How does he have a career? He's basically a much worse Aaron Miles, yet he's made nearly $8 million dollars in his career.
(I don't know that much about him, but I assume that he must be an Ozzie Smith-caliber fielder, correct? That would be the only plausible explanation for his continued employment.)<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Freel's been one of the best utility men in baseball for years. He can play a bunch of positions adequately, he plays harder than anybody on the team, has some very good speed, and is a .270+ hitter when he's right. He's useful. You need to throw away OPS+ for some players in baseball, that's not a fair way to measure a player like Freel.
1. "He plays hard."
Completely irrelevant. If we're basing playing time on style points, let's bring Will Clark and his gorgeous swing out of retirement. If Freel can't hit, his hustle doesn't matter.
2. "OPS+ is a bad way to judge how a player hits."
(obviously I'm not quoting you exactly) Do you have a better way? I'm all for hearing it. Batting average has not been a serious way to judge offensive contribution since the '90's.
3. "He's been one of the best utility guys for years."
Totally, completely irrelevant. Pedro Martinez was a #1 ace for years. The question is,
How can they help the 2009 Cubs?

If we just wanted a guy who could "play a bunch of positions adequately," and not hit, Cedeno can do that. Aaron Miles.
Fuck these lousy "utility" guys who can't hit their way out of a paper bag. What is Jim's fetish for this shit?!

Anyway, I applaud your spirit Clappie, but I disagree with you on this one.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=39492:date=May 22 2009, 04:32 PM:name=Brock)-->QUOTE (Brock @ May 22 2009, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39488:date=May 22 2009, 05:12 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 22 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39482:date=May 22 2009, 03:08 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 22 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Small sample size, I know. But this year, Freel's OPS+ is.................five.
(5)
3 singles for 2009

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes.gif[/img] Freel's been one of the best utility men in baseball for years. He can play a bunch of positions adequately, he plays harder than anybody on the team, has some very good speed, and is a .270+ hitter when he's right. He's useful. You need to throw away OPS+ for some players in baseball, that's not a fair way to measure a player like Freel.

Three years ago, I might agree with you. Now? Not so much.
He's dealt with serious injuries since then. He's healthy now.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=39494:date=May 22 2009, 04:51 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 22 2009, 04:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39488:date=May 22 2009, 05:12 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 22 2009, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=39482:date=May 22 2009, 03:08 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ May 22 2009, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Small sample size, I know. But this year, Freel's OPS+ is.................five.
(5)
3 singles for 2009
Freel's been one of the best utility men in baseball for years. He can play a bunch of positions adequately, he plays harder than anybody on the team, has some very good speed, and is a .270+ hitter when he's right. He's useful. You need to throw away OPS+ for some players in baseball, that's not a fair way to measure a player like Freel.
1. "He plays hard."
Completely irrelevant. If we're basing playing time on style points, let's bring Will Clark and his gorgeous swing out of retirement.
2. "OPS+ is a bad way to judge how a player hits."
(obviously I'm not quoting you exactly) Do you have a better way? I'm all for hearing it. Batting average has not been a serious way to judge offensive contribution since the '90's.
3. "He's been one of the best utility guys for years."
Totally, completely irrelevant. Pedro Martinez was a #1 ace for years. The question is, How
can they help the 2009 Cubs?

If we just wanted a guy who could "play a bunch of positions adequately," and not hit, Cedeno can do that. Aaron Miles.
Fuck these lousy "utility" guys who can't hit their way out of a paper bag. What is Jim's fetish for this shit?!

Anyway, I applaud your spirit Clappie, but I disagree with you on this one.
1. Completely irrelevant? He's like Reed. He brings an energy to the ballpark. Remember the play Reed made at Washington last year? Those are the plays Freel's always been known for and made an acrobatic play like that last night.

2. Players bring other things to the table other than hitting home runs and walking. He's our fastest baserunner now and can play third base, second base, and all outfield spots. People keep bitching about us not having DeRosa now because of his ability to play those positions, well Freel's a guy that can do it.

3. How can he help the team? Are you serious? Read the last one. I'm gonna take it you haven't watched Freel play much. Most any Reds fan will tell you he's a guy that you want on your team.

He's going to be a #8 hitter for us in the couple starts he gets a week, a very good outfielder, he can play 3rd and 2nd, and replaces Gathright as our primary pinch runner. At worst, he's Gathright with the ability to play all over the field. I seriously don't understand how you can complain about having Ryan Freel as a 25th man.
@TheBlogfines
If Freel keeps hitting like this, I agree, he's not worth a roster spot. It's unfair to officially say he sucks after so few at bats, but so far he is not getting the job done at the plate. I think he'll improve a little bit. If not, if you keep hitting .129, your versatility isn't good enough to keep you on the roster.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=40284:date=May 27 2009, 01:01 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Freel keeps hitting like this, I agree, he's not worth a roster spot. It's unfair to officially say he sucks after so few at bats, but so far he is not getting the job done at the plate. I think he'll improve a little bit. If not, if you keep hitting .129, your versatility isn't good enough to keep you on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no problem with Freel, cause he is so versitile. My only concern is how can you carry him and Miles on the same roster? The Aaron Miles signing has to be top two worst off season aquisitions.
<!--quoteo(post=40341:date=May 27 2009, 12:10 PM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ May 27 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=40284:date=May 27 2009, 01:01 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ May 27 2009, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Freel keeps hitting like this, I agree, he's not worth a roster spot. It's unfair to officially say he sucks after so few at bats, but so far he is not getting the job done at the plate. I think he'll improve a little bit. If not, if you keep hitting .129, your versatility isn't good enough to keep you on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no problem with Freel, cause he is so versitile. My only concern is how can you carry him and Miles on the same roster? The Aaron Miles signing has to be top two worst off season aquisitions.
The fact that it happened on the same day as the DeRosa deal, will bother me all season and for the remainder of Miles' contract, unless we turn things around soon.
I don't know if it's going to change, but it had better if we're going to contend... Soriano and Theriot are leading the team in RBIs with 25 and 21 respectively.
I just went over to NSBB to see what they've come up with, and the brain trust over there is in full effect. If anyone needs a good laugh, here are some of the dimwitted ideas they have for salvaging this season:

<ol type='1'>[*]Trade Vitters and DLee for Adrian Gonzalez[*]Trade for Matt Holliday, and move Soriano to 2B so we can fit him into our lineup[*]Trade for Tejada to play 3B [*]Sign Jim Edmonds (because Fuk sucks)[*]Trade Miles to someone who will give us a fringe prospect if we pick up some of his 2010 salary[*]Sign Glendon Rusch and DFA Cotts</ol>

• Trade Vitters and DLee for Adrian Gonzalez [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
  • Trade for Matt Holliday, and move Soriano to 2B so we can fit him into our lineup [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img]
  • Trade for Tejada to play 3B [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/jerkit.gif[/img]
  • Sign Jim Edmonds (because Fuk sucks) [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
  • Trade Miles to someone who will give us a fringe prospect if we pick up some of his 2010 salary [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink.gif[/img]
  • Sign Glendon Rusch and DFA Cotts [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]
To be positive, it does not look like any one team will be able to take a big lead in the NL Central. The Cubs look horrible, but are actually only mediocre. That is fine for now. They only need to play great baseball for 2 months (Sept and Oct) and they are World Champs.
I like you guys a lot.
I had Chinese for dinner tonight. I opened up my fortune cookie and there were two fortunes inside. The first said "Don't panic" and the second said "Don't let your limitations overshadow your talents".
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk