Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randy Wells
<!--quoteo(post=55377:date=Aug 3 2009, 07:38 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 3 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Dude is legit. Again, probably not going to stay under 3 with the ERA forever, but he knows how to pitch. I wish Marmol would pay closer attention to this guy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe, if I saw the stat correctly, he leads the majors in wins (8) since June 10th. Pretty sure that's correct. When does he start to be talked about for possible rookie of the year?
<!--quoteo(post=55379:date=Aug 3 2009, 09:42 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Aug 3 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55377:date=Aug 3 2009, 07:38 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 3 2009, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Dude is legit. Again, probably not going to stay under 3 with the ERA forever, but he knows how to pitch. I wish Marmol would pay closer attention to this guy.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe, if I saw the stat correctly, he leads the majors in wins (8) since June 10th. Pretty sure that's correct. <b>When does he start to be talked about for possible rookie of the year?</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
ESPN has already been talking about it, even before his start tonight.
Also, keep in mind, that our pen and offense scuttled about 3-4 wins when he first came up. Does anyone know the exact number? His record should really be about 12-4, which would light up the ROTY discussions like a pinball.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
I would love for Wells to win it and Colby Rasmus to not win it!
<!--quoteo(post=55391:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM:name=Croz)-->QUOTE (Croz @ Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would love for Wells to win it and Colby Rasmus to not win it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Rasmus should be about 4th on the list right now. Wells and Happ are a coin flip right now in my opinion. I'm planning to do a blog post about this in more detail as well.
@TheBlogfines
If I recall correctly, his first 2 starts were quality stars (like, 6-7 IP, 1 or 2 runs surrendered) and in both games, he got a No Decision. Then he pitched 2 games where he gave up 2 or 3 runs in 7ish innings and got tagged with 2 losses. Then he pitched 2 more QS-type games and again got 2 ND.

So, instead of 8-4, with a couple of better ball bounces, he could easily be 13-3, and they'd be talking about him as a Cy candidate. His ERA+ of 154 is 6th in the NL.
(Reality check: Haren and Lincecum are having incredible seasons, so there's no way Wells would win the Cy, even if he'd had better luck.)

But IMO, he's <i>really</i> in the thick of the ROTY race.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
We could definitely use Heath Bell right now, but I'm kind of glad we kept this Wells guy.
Here is a rundown on Well's early saeson starts:

5/8 - 5 IP, 0 ER, 5 H, 5 K, 2 BB, ND
5/16 - 6 IP, 0 ER, 4 H, 4 K, 3 BB, ND
5/23 - 7 IP, 3 ER, 5 H, 7 K, 1 BB, L
5/28 - 7 IP, 2 ER, 8 H, 7K, 1 BB, L
6/2 - 7 IP, 1 ER, 2 H, 4 K, 0 BB, ND
6/7 - 6.2 IP, 2 ER, 7 H, 4 K, 1 BB, ND
6/12 - 3.2 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 1 K, 2 BB, L

After that he has a decision in every game and is 8-1. So conceivably, he could have 4-6 mor wins and 2 less losses.

Yeah, he could easily be leading the NL in wins had he gotten some run support.
<!--quoteo(post=55396:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:17 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 3 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55391:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM:name=Croz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Croz @ Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would love for Wells to win it and Colby Rasmus to not win it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Rasmus should be about 4th on the list right now. Wells and Happ are a coin flip right now in my opinion. I'm planning to do a blog post about this in more detail as well.
Randy Wells vs. Other NL ROY Candidates
@TheBlogfines
If the score of the game didn't chance after Wells left he would be 11-5 on the year. His expected W-L is at 7.2-3.9 right now. 75 % of his starts have been quality starts, but then again a quality start isn't really that great. His closest competition right now for ROY is Happ. Here is an article that compares Wells to Happ statistically:

Two Young Guns: A Look At The NL ROY Race
<!--quoteo(post=55790:date=Aug 5 2009, 01:22 PM:name=cubbieblue)-->QUOTE (cubbieblue @ Aug 5 2009, 01:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the score of the game didn't chance after Wells left he would be 11-5 on the year. His expected W-L is at 7.2-3.9 right now. 75 % of his starts have been quality starts, but then again a quality start isn't really that great. His closest competition right now for ROY is Happ. Here is an article that compares Wells to Happ statistically:

Two Young Guns: A Look At The NL ROY Race<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Welcome Cubbie Blue. I'd like you to stick around and comment on things other than what is in your blog. Self promotion is fine, but it is better received if you also contirbute to this forum and get to know the rest of us. Welcome aboard and I look forward to hearing your point of view. By the way, your blog is pretty well done.
Thanks for the welcome. And as much as I would love to claim the blog, it really isn't mine. All I did was make a request for him to put together that article comparing Happ and Wells.
<!--quoteo(post=55706:date=Aug 5 2009, 05:49 AM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 5 2009, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55396:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:17 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 3 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55391:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM:name=Croz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Croz @ Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would love for Wells to win it and Colby Rasmus to not win it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow, that's really a well-researched article, Clappie. How do you have the time to write all these articles? Is the site making good money?
<!--quoteo(post=55805:date=Aug 5 2009, 01:40 PM:name=cubbieblue)-->QUOTE (cubbieblue @ Aug 5 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Thanks for the welcome. And as much as I would love to claim the blog, it really isn't mine. All I did was make a request for him to put together that article comparing Happ and Wells.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Sorry for the mistake. Carry on.
<!--quoteo(post=55814:date=Aug 5 2009, 11:57 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Aug 5 2009, 11:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55706:date=Aug 5 2009, 05:49 AM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 5 2009, 05:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55396:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:17 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 3 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55391:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM:name=Croz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Croz @ Aug 3 2009, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would love for Wells to win it and Colby Rasmus to not win it!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wow, that's really a well-researched article, Clappie. How do you have the time to write all these articles? Is the site making good money?
Thanks. Fella helped me a lot with that one, like he found all the players to use in that article and I just then wrote about them. And nah the Blogfines to my knowledge hasn't made a dime yet. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
@TheBlogfines