Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Randy Wells
<!--quoteo(post=47614:date=Jul 2 2009, 08:17 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 2 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Randy Wells throws strikes, for that reason alone, I like him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You are the guy that didn't want him getting 1 start, aren't you?
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=47684:date=Jul 2 2009, 02:13 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Jul 2 2009, 02:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=47614:date=Jul 2 2009, 08:17 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 2 2009, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Randy Wells throws strikes, for that reason alone, I like him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You are the guy that didn't want him getting 1 start, aren't you?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep. He's been a pleasant surprise. I don't expect it to continue forever, but who knows?
I love Randy Wells. If he can continue to pitch like this, I don't think there's any doubt that he should be ROY.
Marmol was a quality prospect a full three years before he found success in the bigs. About the same time he switched from catcher to pitcher. Cigar, in particular, was on his nuts, IIRC.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Tonight's game should be interesting because Randy will face the Braves for the second time. He pitched 7 innings with 1 ER in the first game. This his first game against a team he's already faced.
<!--quoteo(post=48320:date=Jul 6 2009, 02:18 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 6 2009, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tonight's game should be interesting because Randy will face the Braves for the second time. He pitched 7 innings with 1 ER in the first game. This his first game against a team he's already faced.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That was the game in which he had a no hitter with 2 outs in the 7th, and Gregg blew the lead in the 9th.
Yes, it will be interesting to see tonight.
I've seen enough, he can pitch at this level. He changes speeds, hits the corners, he just knows how to pitch. He also doesn't get rattled, incredible poise for a rookie.

I think he can be a high 3 ERA type in this league, at least a solid #4/#5. Will he keep pitching quite like this? Doubtful, but he's not a complete fluke either. He seems like the type of guy that will be a good big game pitcher as well.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=48447:date=Jul 6 2009, 08:28 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've seen enough, he can pitch at this level. He changes speeds, hits the corners, he just knows how to pitch. He also doesn't get rattled, incredible poise for a rookie.

I think he can be a high 3 ERA type in this league, at least a solid #4/#5. Will he keep pitching quite like this? Doubtful, but he's not a complete fluke either. He seems like the type of guy that will be a good big game pitcher as well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He looks a lot like Dempster to me.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
He does't have as good of stuff as Dempster does. It was interesting watching him on espn tonight with the k zone. He was on the edges of the strike zone all night, nothing in the middle of the plate.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=48456:date=Jul 6 2009, 09:02 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Jul 6 2009, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He does't have as good of stuff as Dempster does. It was interesting watching him on espn tonight with the k zone. He was on the edges of the strike zone all night, nothing in the middle of the plate.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Agreed about the stuff. But the results will be similar. A 3-4 ERA guy with his fair share of quality starts, and when he's on, has great command.
He gave up 2 runs. He sucks.
[Image: lou.jpg]
If you don't have great stuff, you have to have incredible command to be this good. I'm not saying he won't always have this command, but it's hard to keep that up.

And I thought his sinker (was that a sinker? sure looked like one) last night looked great.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=48448:date=Jul 6 2009, 10:32 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 6 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48447:date=Jul 6 2009, 08:28 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've seen enough, he can pitch at this level. He changes speeds, hits the corners, he just knows how to pitch. He also doesn't get rattled, incredible poise for a rookie.

I think he can be a high 3 ERA type in this league, at least a solid #4/#5. Will he keep pitching quite like this? Doubtful, but he's not a complete fluke either. He seems like the type of guy that will be a good big game pitcher as well.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You mean without the poor control and silly glove flipping?
<!--quoteo(post=48488:date=Jul 7 2009, 07:10 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 7 2009, 07:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48448:date=Jul 6 2009, 10:32 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 6 2009, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48447:date=Jul 6 2009, 08:28 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 6 2009, 08:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I've seen enough, he can pitch at this level. He changes speeds, hits the corners, he just knows how to pitch. He also doesn't get rattled, incredible poise for a rookie.

You mean without the poor control and silly glove flipping?
Yes. In terms of ERA and quality starts. What Dempster lacks in control, Wells has. What Wells lacks in stuff, Dempster has.
Dude is legit. Again, probably not going to stay under 3 with the ERA forever, but he knows how to pitch. I wish Marmol would pay closer attention to this guy.
@TheBlogfines