Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moves Tomorrow
<!--quoteo(post=48214:date=Jul 5 2009, 04:58 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48200:date=Jul 5 2009, 05:40 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 5 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48198:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:36 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 5 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48191:date=Jul 5 2009, 05:23 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 5 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48184:date=Jul 5 2009, 04:14 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 5 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In a perfect world, Soriano is DLed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Two hits today, and he's had much better swings the last two days. I'm encouraged.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Both of his hits today were ducksnorts. I'm hardly encouraged.

And he should have been called out on the tag on the 2nd one.

Both hits sucked and he's an idiot, but Fielder missed him by about two feet on the tag. Just saying.

And ideally, the Cubs would DL Patton, send down Hart and Hoffpauir.

Ooops... I wasn't paying attention I guess, because it looked like he tagged him to me.
<!--quoteo(post=48224:date=Jul 5 2009, 08:42 PM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 5 2009, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48214:date=Jul 5 2009, 04:58 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 5 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48200:date=Jul 5 2009, 05:40 PM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Jul 5 2009, 05:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48198:date=Jul 5 2009, 03:36 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 5 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48191:date=Jul 5 2009, 05:23 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 5 2009, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48184:date=Jul 5 2009, 04:14 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 5 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In a perfect world, Soriano is DLed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Two hits today, and he's had much better swings the last two days. I'm encouraged.

Both of his hits today were ducksnorts. I'm hardly encouraged.

And he should have been called out on the tag on the 2nd one.

Both hits sucked and he's an idiot, but Fielder missed him by about two feet on the tag. Just saying.

And ideally, the Cubs would DL Patton, send down Hart and Hoffpauir.

Ooops... I wasn't paying attention I guess, because it looked like he tagged him to me.

The first few replays definitely looked like it. Then they showed a different angle, and he didn't get close. Still, it was a boneheaded play (again) by Soriano.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
Has Hoffpauir still have options? I have a feeling he hasn't.

Fuld sent down and Patton DL'ed.

I would like Fox to stay but where to put him?
Hoffpauir still has options for sure, I don't think he was ever even on a 40 man roster til last year.
<!--quoteo(post=48238:date=Jul 6 2009, 01:40 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 6 2009, 01:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Hoffpauir still has options for sure, I don't think he was ever even on a 40 man roster til last year.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yep.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs' Fox dilemma

With Aramis Ramirez returning, Jake Fox may get sent down

July 5, 2009, 7:31 PM

By: Nick Friedell

Jake Fox had two more hits during the Cubs' 8-2 victory over the Brewers Sunday, including a two-run homer that gave him 15 RBIs in just over a month in the big leagues. He's providing exactly the type of power bat the team has been searching for since Aramis Ramirez went down in May. And now he's getting benched.

Doesn't seem fair, right?

Jake Fox may be the odd man out, but won't be if the Cubs know what they're doing.
Ramirez is scheduled to come off the disabled list tomorrow and will be taking Fox's starting spot if he is ready to go. What's worse is that there is a chance that Fox, who is now hitting .310, may be sent down altogether. Angel Guzman and Reed Johnson are also supposed to make their way off the DL, which means that Fox might be heading back to Iowa tomorrow morning.

"This is going to be a very, very -- not only difficult, but interesting decision," said manager Lou Piniella after the Cubs beat the Brewers 8-2 on Sunday.

That's an understatement.

There's no denying that Ramirez should be in the lineup if he's healthy. The Cubs haven't been the same since he hurt his shoulder, and his presence alone will strike more fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers. He is an All Star and has proven throughout his career that he is one of the most clutch hitters in baseball.

Having said that, Piniella has got to find a way to keep Fox's bat in the lineup and the Cubs would be absolutely foolish to send him down right now. Over the past few weeks, he has been the Cubs most productive hitter not named Derrek Lee and he's also provided the type of steady defense that had dogged him throughout his career.

"He's been huge," Lee said of Fox's play. "He's really stepped in and replaced Aramis about as good as you can. He's played good defense. He's got some huge hits for us. He can just flat out hit. The question was his defense. Well, I think he's shown he can handle that."

For his part, Fox seems to be willing to accept whatever decision the organization decides to make.

"There's really not a whole lot you can do about it," Fox said. "I think everybody here has done their job and has been doing the job they've been asked to. Whatever they decide to do, it's for the best of the ballclub."

If Piniella was ever truly considering moving Alfonso Soriano back to second base, now would be the time to make the move. There's no question the Cubs would become even worse defensively (Andres Blanco has quickly become one of the best defensive second baseman in baseball), but Fox couldn't possibly be that much worse than Soriano or Milton Bradley in the outfield. His bat would give Lee and Ramirez the type of protection that Soriano and Bradley have not been providing lately.

"I don't know what we're gonna do & I don't know what's gonna happen, I really don't," Piniella said at the end of his press conference. "It's not going to be easy."

It never is, Lou. But out of all the decisions that you've got to make, keeping Fox on the roster and in the lineup should be the easiest choice for you to make.

Ted loves Lilly shirts: Ted Lilly had another solid outing on Sunday, earning the win after going 6 1/3 innings and giving up just two runs. Maybe it was because he had a lot of extra support in the stands. The Cubs gave away "Lilly 30" replica T-shirts at the game and they were scattered all over Wrigley.

"That was fun, definitely" Lilly said with a laugh when I asked him about seeing his shirts in the stands. "I was aware of [the T-shirt giveaway] when I got to the field. A couple of guys had them on, and they were having fun with it and making fun of me. I think that's the first time in my career that that's ever happened so it's pretty cool."

Line of the day: "We're both left-handed," Lilly said, when asked if there were any similarities between him and fellow All Star pitcher Mark Buehrle.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[Image: lou.jpg]
Ramirez was pretty consistent in the 3 rehab games he had with Peoria. Each game he went 1-for-2 with a walk. For his 3 games, he was 3-for-6 with 3 BB.
I got nothin'.

Andy
<!--quoteo(post=48240:date=Jul 6 2009, 06:15 AM:name=Mikey)-->QUOTE (Mikey @ Jul 6 2009, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->The Cubs' Fox dilemma

With Aramis Ramirez returning, Jake Fox may get sent down

July 5, 2009, 7:31 PM

By: Nick Friedell

Jake Fox had two more hits during the Cubs' 8-2 victory over the Brewers Sunday, including a two-run homer that gave him 15 RBIs in just over a month in the big leagues. He's providing exactly the type of power bat the team has been searching for since Aramis Ramirez went down in May. And now he's getting benched.

Doesn't seem fair, right?

Jake Fox may be the odd man out, but won't be if the Cubs know what they're doing.
Ramirez is scheduled to come off the disabled list tomorrow and will be taking Fox's starting spot if he is ready to go. What's worse is that there is a chance that Fox, who is now hitting .310, may be sent down altogether. Angel Guzman and Reed Johnson are also supposed to make their way off the DL, which means that Fox might be heading back to Iowa tomorrow morning.

"This is going to be a very, very -- not only difficult, but interesting decision," said manager Lou Piniella after the Cubs beat the Brewers 8-2 on Sunday.

That's an understatement.

There's no denying that Ramirez should be in the lineup if he's healthy. The Cubs haven't been the same since he hurt his shoulder, and his presence alone will strike more fear into the hearts of opposing pitchers. He is an All Star and has proven throughout his career that he is one of the most clutch hitters in baseball.

Having said that, Piniella has got to find a way to keep Fox's bat in the lineup and the Cubs would be absolutely foolish to send him down right now. Over the past few weeks, he has been the Cubs most productive hitter not named Derrek Lee and he's also provided the type of steady defense that had dogged him throughout his career.

"He's been huge," Lee said of Fox's play. "He's really stepped in and replaced Aramis about as good as you can. He's played good defense. He's got some huge hits for us. He can just flat out hit. The question was his defense. Well, I think he's shown he can handle that."

For his part, Fox seems to be willing to accept whatever decision the organization decides to make.

"There's really not a whole lot you can do about it," Fox said. "I think everybody here has done their job and has been doing the job they've been asked to. Whatever they decide to do, it's for the best of the ballclub."

If Piniella was ever truly considering moving Alfonso Soriano back to second base, now would be the time to make the move. There's no question the Cubs would become even worse defensively (Andres Blanco has quickly become one of the best defensive second baseman in baseball), but Fox couldn't possibly be that much worse than Soriano or Milton Bradley in the outfield. His bat would give Lee and Ramirez the type of protection that Soriano and Bradley have not been providing lately.

"I don't know what we're gonna do & I don't know what's gonna happen, I really don't," Piniella said at the end of his press conference. "It's not going to be easy."

It never is, Lou. But out of all the decisions that you've got to make, keeping Fox on the roster and in the lineup should be the easiest choice for you to make.

Ted loves Lilly shirts: Ted Lilly had another solid outing on Sunday, earning the win after going 6 1/3 innings and giving up just two runs. Maybe it was because he had a lot of extra support in the stands. The Cubs gave away "Lilly 30" replica T-shirts at the game and they were scattered all over Wrigley.

"That was fun, definitely" Lilly said with a laugh when I asked him about seeing his shirts in the stands. "I was aware of [the T-shirt giveaway] when I got to the field. A couple of guys had them on, and they were having fun with it and making fun of me. I think that's the first time in my career that that's ever happened so it's pretty cool."

Line of the day: "We're both left-handed," Lilly said, when asked if there were any similarities between him and fellow All Star pitcher Mark Buehrle.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would not object to moving Fox to LF and Soriano to 2B, at least for a few games to see what happens. I just don't see how they can justify sending Fox down at this point. If Soriano is struggling due to injury, maybe it's time to DL him or at least give him a few days of rest, and use him off the bench, and let Fox play LF for a couple weeks. I know there is no ideal solution, but I think it's worth the defensive risks.
Fox can't get sent down. He's been murdering the ball. Find a way to keep him up.
Fox ain't going down.
I'm with Ruby... Hendry and Lou haven't exactly managed the roster that well this season, but not even the two of them can fuck this up. Fox ain't going anywhere.
He better not be sent down. I just don't see how they could conceivably justify the move.
The silence is deafening. The game is in just over six hours. I wanna know what the moves were!
<!--quoteo(post=48265:date=Jul 6 2009, 10:59 AM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Jul 6 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would not object to moving Fox to LF and Soriano to 2B, at least for a few games to see what happens.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In a perfect world you could do something like this, but not in the Major Leagues. Soriano was a subpar 2b and he hasn't played there in what--4 years? No way would that work.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
<!--quoteo(post=48294:date=Jul 6 2009, 12:37 PM:name=BackyardLegend)-->QUOTE (BackyardLegend @ Jul 6 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=48265:date=Jul 6 2009, 10:59 AM:name=dk123)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dk123 @ Jul 6 2009, 10:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would not object to moving Fox to LF and Soriano to 2B, at least for a few games to see what happens.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In a perfect world you could do something like this, but not in the Major Leagues. Soriano was a subpar 2b and he hasn't played there in what--4 years? No way would that work.
I don't want to see Soraino at 2B either, but he has played a few innings there as a Cub (even this year, I think).