Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of analyzing fielding
The Cardinals are about the most unsabermetric team in the league and somehow they still win ballgames. All because they have the absolute best sabermetric player you could have. It pisses me off that they would be a complete joke if it was not for him.
I'm shocked. Just <i>shocked</i>.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->From ESPN:
This would scare me a little if I were a Cub fan:

DL: Are defensive metrics an important part of your evaluation process or do you rely primarily on scouting?
Jim Hendry: It's scouting for me. People scout players and they rate their defense, and that's what I go by -- and the personnel that we have in our own dugout.

If Hendry really has no regard for the use of defensive metrics, he begins every single decision-making process at a disadvantage, because defense comes into play not only when evaluating fielders, but also pitchers. Columnist Rany Jazayerli has suggested that the Cubs could be the National League's Red Sox, if only they had good and stable ownership.
I'm sure that would help. It would also help if the Cubs had a general manager who's not stuck in the 20th century.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=49616:date=Jul 13 2009, 02:04 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jul 13 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm shocked. Just <i>shocked</i>.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->From ESPN:
This would scare me a little if I were a Cub fan:

DL: Are defensive metrics an important part of your evaluation process or do you rely primarily on scouting?
Jim Hendry: It's scouting for me. People scout players and they rate their defense, and that's what I go by -- and the personnel that we have in our own dugout.

If Hendry really has no regard for the use of defensive metrics, he begins every single decision-making process at a disadvantage, because defense comes into play not only when evaluating fielders, but also pitchers. Columnist Rany Jazayerli has suggested that the Cubs could be the National League's Red Sox, if only they had good and stable ownership.
I'm sure that would help. It would also help if the Cubs had a general manager who's not stuck in the 20th century.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
The smoking gun! Pretty pathetic actually.