Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jake Fox
After watching yesterday's game, I've been thinking a lot about Jake Fox. I was very surpised at how good he looked behind the plate. I know a few innings is a small sample, but he looked very fluid, blocked a few balls, and had a pretty good technique. He can't be worse than Barrett was he we were quite happy with his bat in our lineup until he decided to blow. I really do think we should start him at C until Soto gets back. I'm sure Koyie is a much better defensive catcher but we need Fox's bat in out lineup. We become a much better team if he's catching instead of Hill. Plus, we get to see if he can cut it. That makes either him or Soto expendable in the offseason. Hendry (or his successor) could net us something pretty good in a trade for either one of them in the offseason if Fox proves he can handle catching.

Lou's Lineup
Fuk
Theriot
Lee
Aramis
Bradley
Soriano
Fox
Font/Baker

That's a damn good order as long as Bradley continues to come out of his funk.

Coldneck's Lineup
Fuk/Fuld
Theriot
Lee
Bradley
Aramis
Fox
Soriano
Font/Baker
I don't see Fox being able to catch more than a time or 2 a week. There's a reason why he got moved from behind the plate in the first place. He's servicable there, but not much more. I would have liked to see the Cards try to run or bunt or something with him back there, I think that's where he's deficiencies would realy start to show. Also, there were virtually no pitches, while he was in, that were difficult to block/catch. I think his ability to play OF, the corner spots, and catcher will get him in the lineup fairly frequently, but I don't see too many of them coming at the C position.
I would've been extremely worried about Fox had Lou brought Marmol in to pitch.
<!--quoteo(post=49598:date=Jul 13 2009, 12:17 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 13 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would've been extremely worried about Fox had Lou brought Marmol in to pitch.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Worried? I'd have been afraid for his life.
<!--quoteo(post=49614:date=Jul 13 2009, 02:50 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 13 2009, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=49598:date=Jul 13 2009, 12:17 PM:name=vegascub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vegascub @ Jul 13 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I would've been extremely worried about Fox had Lou brought Marmol in to pitch.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Worried? I'd have been afraid for his life.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why, did Marmol start throwing Ninja Stars instead of curveballs in the dirt?
.326/.365/.593
Fox is a poor man's Adam Dunn, but he actually hits for a high AVG.
<!--quoteo(post=50743:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox is a poor man's Adam Dunn, but he actually hits for a high AVG.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He doesn't walk or strike out much either.

Definitely has the power and lack of fielding ability though.
<!--quoteo(post=50747:date=Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50743:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox is a poor man's Adam Dunn, but he actually hits for a high AVG.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, and neither one looks like much of an athlete, and are awkward in just about every way they play the game. That's kind of where I was going with this.
<!--quoteo(post=50747:date=Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50743:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox is a poor man's Adam Dunn, but he actually hits for a high AVG.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In all reality, his fielding has kinda suprised me. I thought he would be much worse. I don't think he's a wizard or anything, but he's nowhere near the abomination he was made out to be.
<!--quoteo(post=50755:date=Jul 20 2009, 10:07 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50747:date=Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50743:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox is a poor man's Adam Dunn, but he actually hits for a high AVG.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In all reality, his fielding has kinda suprised me. I thought he would be much worse. I don't think he's a wizard or anything, but he's nowhere near the abomination he was made out to be.
He has looked pretty silly at 3rd. He misplayed two more balls there yesterday. But yeah his bat far outweighs the few misplays he may make on defense. In the outfield I think he has been perfectly fine, he is better than Soriano anyway.
<!--quoteo(post=50757:date=Jul 20 2009, 11:20 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 20 2009, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50755:date=Jul 20 2009, 10:07 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 20 2009, 10:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50747:date=Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jul 20 2009, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=50743:date=Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Jul 20 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox is a poor man's Adam Dunn, but he actually hits for a high AVG.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He has looked pretty silly at 3rd. He misplayed two more balls there yesterday. But yeah his bat far outweighs the few misplays he may make on defense. In the outfield I think he has been perfectly fine, he is better than Soriano anyway.
Yep. For some reason, his misplays don't bother me so much. When he does screw up, at least he manages to minimize the damage, and keeps the bad throws to a minimum. His biggest problems are footwork and poor range.
Fox is a flat-out better player than Dunn. He probably doesn't hit for as much power, but he is an excellent hitter for average and plays passable defense. Dunn pounds the fuck out of the ball but is a horrible hitter for average, strikeouts 180-200 times a season and plays shitty, shitty defense.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Fox is a flat-out better player than Dunn. He probably doesn't hit for as much power, but he is an excellent hitter for average and plays passable defense. Dunn pounds the fuck out of the ball but is a horrible hitter for average, strikeouts 180-200 times a season and plays shitty, shitty defense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Dunn is better and it's not even close.
"If you throw at someone's head, it's very dangerous, because in the head is the brain." -- Pudge Rodriguez to AM 1270 WXYT in Detroit
<!--quoteo(post=50797:date=Jul 20 2009, 03:03 PM:name=Gracie)-->QUOTE (Gracie @ Jul 20 2009, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox is a flat-out better player than Dunn. He probably doesn't hit for as much power, but he is an excellent hitter for average and plays passable defense. Dunn pounds the fuck out of the ball but is a horrible hitter for average, strikeouts 180-200 times a season and plays shitty, shitty defense.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Based upon what we've seen of Fox, he has a lot of potential offensively at least, but we don't really know if Fox will continue to maintain a high average as an everyday player once pitchers begin to figure him out. I think it's too early to tell with his limited number of AB, but so far so good.