Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dumb question...
I didn't want to put this in the squeeze thread, but I have a question. A dumb question...
If there are 2 outs and a guy on third, and the batter bunts...or puts the ball in play in any manner actually, and the runner on third touches home plate prior to the runner eventually being thrown out at 1st, is that run scored or not?
Not.
Works the same as a pop up. Force play kills the run.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
OK thats what I thought....
If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Or even if the runner is tagged out prior to making it to first, the run would count since it would be a tag out and not a force out.
<!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Or even if the runner is tagged out prior to making it to first, the run would count since it would be a tag out and not a force out.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.
<!--quoteo(post=52913:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.

if the runner on thrird scores before the batter is tagged, he's right-o.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=52988:date=Jul 29 2009, 07:48 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52913:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.

That doesn't feel right.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=52988:date=Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52913:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.

Completely, 100% wrong. As long as the batter puts the ball in play and makes an out before he gets to first base, whether he's tagged or someone touches first base, anything else that happens is irrelevent. Just because it's a force out doesn't mean the team is forced to touch the base instead of tagging the batter to get that "force out." BTW, I can't believe this is an actual discussion, it's a basic rule.
You may be right Ruby, as I'm not positive what the rule is. In one of my high school games this exact thing occurred. With a runner on 3rd base the batter hit a weak grounder to the right side of the infield. The 1B picked up the ball and went to tag the batter but he didn't run. He just waited about a quarter of the way down the line. He was eventually tagged out after the runner on third crossed home plate. The umpires allowed the run. If you're right than those umpires sure fucked up. Which wouldn't surprise me.
<!--quoteo(post=52997:date=Jul 29 2009, 07:02 AM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 29 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52988:date=Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52913:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.

Completely, 100% wrong. As long as the batter puts the ball in play and makes an out before he gets to first base, whether he's tagged or someone touches first base, anything else that happens is irrelevent. Just because it's a force out doesn't mean the team is forced to touch the b
ase instead of tagging the batter to get that "force out." BTW, I can't believe this is an actual discussion, it's a basic rule.

you know, it's entirely possible that you're right and we're wrong, but what makes me all fuzzy inside is how you like to make me feel like a total retard for being wrong. that's what i love. you not only correct my mistake, but you make me out to be a complete dumbass for even suggesting something. it's great.

instead of this:

no, i'm pretty knowlegeable on this subject and i'm 100% sure this is the rule.

i get this:

you are not only wrong, but i can't believe anyone would even think the way you do. are you stupid or something? in the history of baseball discussion, no one has EVER said anything so completely wrong. gosh, i'm so much smarter than you are.

thanks again for your input rubes. next time i'll just keep my thoughts to myself so as not to upset the intellectual banter that's so prevalent here.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=53000:date=Jul 29 2009, 08:24 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52997:date=Jul 29 2009, 07:02 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 29 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52988:date=Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52913:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.

Completely, 100% wrong. As long as the batter puts the ball in play and makes an out before he gets to first base, whether he's tagged or someone touches first base, anything else that happens is irrelevent. Just because it's a force out doesn't mean the team is forced to touch the b
ase instead of tagging the batter to get that "force out." BTW, I can't believe this is an actual discussion, it's a basic rule.

you know, it's entirely possible that you're right and we're wrong, but what makes me all fuzzy inside is how you like to make me feel like a total retard for being wrong. that's what i love. you not only correct my mistake, but you make me out to be a complete dumbass for even suggesting something. it's great.

instead of this:

i get this:

you are not only wrong, but i can't believe anyone would even think the way you do. are you stupid or something? in the history of baseball discussion, no one has EVER said anything so completely wrong. gosh, i'm so much smarter than you are.

thanks again for your input rubes. next time i'll just keep my thoughts to myself so as not to upset the intellectual banter that's so prevalent here.

great post tom. this was my exact feeling but i decided not to put it in words. i'm glad i didn't because you did a much better job than i could have.
<!--quoteo(post=53000:date=Jul 29 2009, 07:24 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52997:date=Jul 29 2009, 07:02 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 29 2009, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52988:date=Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Jul 29 2009, 06:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52913:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Jul 28 2009, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52912:date=Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Jul 28 2009, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=52910:date=Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Jul 28 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If the runner is safe at first, but then is tagged (say he was in fair territory for instance after beating it out), it counts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Wrong-o.

instead of this:

i get this:

Sorry for being a condescending prick, how's this instead:

No, that's not correct. As long as the batter puts the ball in play and makes an out before he gets to first base, whether he's tagged or someone touches first base, anything else that happens is irrelevent. Just because it's a force out doesn't mean the team is forced to touch the base instead of tagging the batter to get that "force out." In the situation that Coldneck described, the umps really screwed the pooch. Here's an example that I hope will help:

Michael Bourn is on 3rd with 2 outs. Ivan Rodriguez is at the plate. Rodriguez hits a ball into deep short. Theriot fields the ball and throws to first. While the ball is in flight to first, Bourn, being speedy, crosses home. When the ball reaches first base, it's high and pulls Lee off the bag. Lee jumps and makes the catch. When he comes down, he tags Rodriguez on the back instead of touching the base with his foot. The end result is Rodriguez is out and the run does not score because Rodriguez made an out before he ever reached first base. Just because it's a force play, doesn't mean the only way to record that out and stop the run from scoring is by touching the bag.

The run does not score. The manner in which a runner is called out is inconsequential. All that matters is that he is called out before he reaches first base.

And Coldneck, you are correct, the umps blew the call.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.