Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of Jake Fox
Can't picture Fox turning two.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=55425:date=Aug 4 2009, 07:05 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 4 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fox going to instructional league and learning 2B was definitely discussed on the ESPN broadcast. I agree it's a pipe dream. Like Clapp said, Fox just doesn't have the footwork or lateral quickness to pull it off. I'd rather him go to instructional league and learn 1B and OF better. We're going to have an opening at 1B after next season. I doubt Vitters will be ready by then. Another option would be to trade him if we can get something of quality in return. The dude just mashes the ball.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed. We all bitched about the void trading DeRosa caused and while not trying DeRosa to Fox - Fox is can play as many positions as DeRosa can. I would love for Fox to get into a regular rotation with Ramirez, Lee, Soriano and Bradley and take over at 1st full time after Lee's departure. He also gives us lots of flexiblity to move a vet too at next years deadline too if need be.

It's a damn shame that he can't get more playing time, but unless you can get something of value in return - don't move him just for the sake of moving him.
Fox a future All-Star?

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec--><!--sizeo:4--><!--/sizeo-->Fox a future All-Star<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
By Brendan Roberts
ESPN.com

Jake Fox is going to be an All-Star someday.

I don't care what kind of prospect he was before the season, I've seen enough of him to truly believe that. Where will he play? I dunno, probably the outfield (and not necessarily for the Cubs). When will this happen? I'd say sooner than later. When will the Cubs realize this? I think they already have. Will he lead the Cubs to the World Ser- … oh, sorry.

In the first 142 at-bats of his career, Fox already looks to me like one of those rare players who can hit .300 and also hit 30-plus homers. Those guys don't grow on trees. He can hit near any pitch in any spot, can crush mistakes and even is adept at battling with two strikes. And some of his splits reveal his solid focus and makeup. For instance, he has hit much better on the road than at home. The righty swinger has hit both righties and lefties well, but righties slightly better. And he's hitting .328 with runners on base.

Is he great defensively? No, wherever he plays. Does he have obviously elite talent? No. Will he steal bases? No. Does he have the type of baseball body that can pose for underwear ads? No, probably more like wings-and-beer ads. But the guy can hit; he just needs the chance to do it more often.

As long as everyone is healthy, the Cubs don't have a starting spot for Fox. But that all might change if Aramis Ramirez can't bounce back quickly from his shoulder injury. And it's almost certain to change, at least in some capacity, for next season.

Whether it's next week or next year, Fox's value is about to explode -- you just don't know it yet. A lack of playing time has forced him to ride below the radar. He's one of a handful of players I see as I peruse rosters who could move from mixed-league afterthought to mixed-league stud simply by having his name put in the lineup more. Simply put, he's one of those "help immediately" players.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Will he lead the Cubs to the World Ser- … oh, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
BWAHAHAHAHA!

What a fucking dick.

Seriously. Can't anyone write an article about the Cubs without these kind of retarded quips?
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->As long as everyone is healthy, the Cubs don't have a starting spot for Fox. But that all might change if Aramis Ramirez can't bounce back quickly from his shoulder injury. And it's almost certain to change, at least in some capacity, for next season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really don't see where he will play next season unless he or someone else is traded. We have Lee locked up through next season and Aramis locked up through 2011. The most obvious spot would be in the corner OF, but Soriano is here for the remainder of the century and Milton and Fuk have 2 more years on their deals. The only way I see Fox getting consistent time is as a result of injury or Soriano moving to 2B (which would be a freak show). If we aren't going to have a regular spot for I am of the opinion that we should trade him while his name is hot for something that will benefit this team.

Actually, I would really like to see him start everyday in LF and bench Soriano, but even I know that won't happen as long as Soriano is making $18M per season (read: forever).
<!--quoteo(post=57867:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Will he lead the Cubs to the World Ser- … oh, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
BWAHAHAHAHA!

What a fucking dick.

Seriously. Can't anyone write an article about the Cubs without these kind of retarded quips?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We kinda deserve it.
<!--quoteo(post=57872:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:19 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 14 2009, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=57867:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 14 2009, 11:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Will he lead the Cubs to the World Ser- … oh, sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
BWAHAHAHAHA!

What a fucking dick.

We kinda deserve it.
Who is "we?" The fans? Why do we deserve it? For being incredibly loyal for so many years in the face of such adversity?
His comment was not directed at the fans. It was directed at the Organization. That is who i think deserves it.
<!--quoteo(post=57878:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:50 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 14 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His comment was not directed at the fans. It was directed at the Organization. That is who i think deserves it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Cubs fans will read the article. My guess is that nobody from the Organization will.
<!--quoteo(post=57880:date=Aug 14 2009, 12:57 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 14 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=57878:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:50 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 14 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His comment was not directed at the fans. It was directed at the Organization. That is who i think deserves it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Cubs fans will read the article. My guess is that nobody from the Organization will.
Dude, you take things like this way too seriously. It was a throw away comment in the article meant to get a snicker from the 90% of baseball fans out there that could care less about the Cubs. The writer wasn't trying to ruin your day.
<!--quoteo(post=57881:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:59 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 14 2009, 11:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=57880:date=Aug 14 2009, 12:57 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Aug 14 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=57878:date=Aug 14 2009, 11:50 AM:name=Coldneck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 14 2009, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->His comment was not directed at the fans. It was directed at the Organization. That is who i think deserves it.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dude, you take things like this way too seriously. It was a throw away comment in the article meant to get a snicker from the 90% of baseball fans out there that could care less about the Cubs. The writer wasn't trying to ruin your day.
I do take it seriously. I have a lot of time, money, and emotion invested in the Cubs. Maybe I should lighten up, but it's how I am.

I don't think "jokes" like that are funny. It's been done a billion times by every hack who has ever written anything about the Cubs. It isn't clever, funny, or original. But if it gets a snicker from some douchebag Cardinals fans, then I guess it was worth it.
I'm with Butcher, those jokes are old as shit. The only baseball fans that would laugh at that are Sox and Cards fans, nobody else gives a fuck.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=57918:date=Aug 14 2009, 02:29 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Aug 14 2009, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm with Butcher, those jokes are old as shit. The only baseball fans that would laugh at that are Sox and Cards fans, nobody else gives a fuck.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Brewers fans and Mets fans love those jokes too.
So do Reds and Braves fans. I coexist with quite a lot of them. Pretty much everyone except Cubs fans take pelasure in those jokes. Hell, I even have a Pirate fan friend who loves shit like that. I never fail to remind him it's been 20 something seasons sinve he's seen a winning record.
<!--quoteo(post=57925:date=Aug 14 2009, 02:34 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Aug 14 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So do Reds and Braves fans. I coexist with quite a lot of them. Pretty much everyone except Cubs fans take pelasure in those jokes. Hell, I even have a Pirate fan friend who loves shit like that. I never fail to remind him it's been 2o something seasons sinve he's seen a winning record.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Do these same people die laughing at "chicken crossed the road" jokes, too?