Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of Jake Fox
<!--quoteo(post=54873:date=Aug 2 2009, 09:18 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Aug 2 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54870:date=Aug 2 2009, 07:48 AM:name=alpha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alpha @ Aug 2 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In the offseason and through 2010 spring training we could try to convert Soriano back to 2B and see if he's at least serviceable there. I know it's highly unlikely, but it maybe worth a shot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umm. No.

He's too gimpy for the infield and he's only getting older.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's at least worth a thought if there isn't a 2nd base upgrade available. Unlikely, but worth a thought.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
If he had been serviceable there when he'd been playing there full time, it would be a thought worth considering. But he wasn't. That's why he was moved to the OF to begin with. 4 years later, they're not going to want to move him back to the OF when he prays no balls are hit to him at 2B on those rare occasions that he spends an inning at 2B.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=54875:date=Aug 2 2009, 08:24 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Aug 2 2009, 08:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54873:date=Aug 2 2009, 09:18 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Aug 2 2009, 09:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54870:date=Aug 2 2009, 07:48 AM:name=alpha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (alpha @ Aug 2 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In the offseason and through 2010 spring training we could try to convert Soriano back to 2B and see if he's at least serviceable there. I know it's highly unlikely, but it maybe worth a shot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umm. No.

He's too gimpy for the infield and he's only getting older.

It's at least worth a thought if there isn't a 2nd base upgrade available. Unlikely, but worth a thought.

I agree. The thought has been thought. Let's never think of it again.
You guys must have watched a shit ton of Yankee games in the early part of the decade, eh? Because personally, I have no clue how he looked at second base. I know only that he was moved, and everyone says he sucks there.

Everyone said Jake Fox couldn't handle 3rd base, too. And then after a month of wasted time, we figured out he could.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=54880:date=Aug 2 2009, 08:27 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Aug 2 2009, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You guys must have watched a shit ton of Yankee games in the early part of the decade, eh? Because personally, I have no clue how he looked at second base. I know only that he was moved, and everyone says he sucks there.

Everyone said Jake Fox couldn't handle 3rd base, too. And then after a month of wasted time, we figured out he could.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have no idea how he looked at second. I have some idea how his legs have been working for him in the outfield this season. No way I want that guy in the infield. It's not about position skills. Assume he can learn to play hops, time every dive...turn the DP. He just can't move well enough. Collisions with and leaps over base runners aren't going to make him healthier.

By the time his contract is in it's autumn, and MB's is over, he'll be moved to RF and then later he can go DH for the worst team in the AL with us paying 90% of the last 2-3 years of his contract.
<!--quoteo(post=54880:date=Aug 2 2009, 07:27 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Aug 2 2009, 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You guys must have watched a shit ton of Yankee games in the early part of the decade, eh? Because personally, I have no clue how he looked at second base. I know only that he was moved, and everyone says he sucks there.

Everyone said Jake Fox couldn't handle 3rd base, too. And then after a month of wasted time, we figured out he could.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Soriano among mlb 2nd baseman...

2001: 19 errors(tied for worst in mlb), .973 fielding percentage(worst in mlb)
2002: 23 errors(worst in mlb), .968 fielding percentage(worst in mlb)
2003: 19 errors(worst in mlb), .975 fielding percentage(4th worst in mlb)
2004: 23 errors(worst in mlb), .969 fielding percentage(worst in mlb)
2005: 21 errors(worst in mlb), .972 fielding percentage(worst in mlb)

It's not like people are making this stuff up. He was brutal there and would be even worse now. He had the worst fundamentals imaginable there. He was an infielder because of his arm and range but just swiped at the ball.

He can't field a groundball, look how many groundballs he's misplayed that are slowly rolling in the outfield grass. He's not as quick as he was back then either and gingerly moves now. He'd have awful range. And it's just going to get worse as he ages. Additionally, why move him there now for a little bit, then move him back to the outfield again like you're going to have to anyway. Just leave him where he is now. The guy also admitted he didn't want a groundball to come to him last night.

Championship teams are usually strong, or at least good enough up the middle defensively. We're certainly not incredible there, but good enough. We don't have guys that will lose games for you there. Alfonso Soriano will lose games for you there.
@TheBlogfines
They are at some point going to have to find more regular ab's for him while he is crushing the ball the way he is. I am not sure if he is fo real or not, but he needs to get the playing time to find out.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=54966:date=Aug 2 2009, 05:28 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Aug 2 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They are at some point going to have to find more regular ab's for him while he is crushing the ball the way he is. I am not sure if he is fo real or not, but he needs to get the playing time to find out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't see how hard it is to find a start for him at LF, RF, 3B, C, or 1B about everyday. He should've gotten at least a couple chances to start over Koyie. Alf, Aram, and Milton could all use days off. He could basically fill in for one of them every game.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=54968:date=Aug 2 2009, 07:36 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Aug 2 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54966:date=Aug 2 2009, 05:28 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Aug 2 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They are at some point going to have to find more regular ab's for him while he is crushing the ball the way he is. I am not sure if he is fo real or not, but he needs to get the playing time to find out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't see how hard it is to find a start for him at LF, RF, 3B, C, or 1B about everyday. He should've gotten at least a couple chances to start over Koyie. Alf, Aram, and Milton could all use days off. He could basically fill in for one of them every game.
All things being equal, I agree he should have gotten some starts at C, but I'm guessing they had him practice behind the plate and it wasn't pretty.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Apparently on the ESPN feed tonight, Gary Thorne said there was talk Fox will go the the instructional league after the season and get reps at second base.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=55410:date=Aug 4 2009, 02:02 AM:name=Giff)-->QUOTE (Giff @ Aug 4 2009, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Apparently on the ESPN feed tonight, Gary Thorne said there was talk Fox will go the the instructional league after the season and get reps at second base.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That I really don't think would work, and I'm still wondering if there's any truth to it. I haven't seen it mentioned once by anybody around the team.

Even if it were true, I can't see him doing well at all at 2nd base. Yeah, I know I said the same things about him at third base just like two months ago, but he doesn't have the lateral quickness and range to play second. At least I think, but I'm pretty confident about that. He has to play a corner position or catcher.
@TheBlogfines
No way he would work at 2B. In a perfect world, it would be an ideal fit. But he's definitely too pudgy and slow to make it. I can't see him taking throws from Soto or nailing a guy at the plate on a relay.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
If Murton can do it, then Fox can.
<!--quoteo(post=55412:date=Aug 4 2009, 04:39 AM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Aug 4 2009, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I can't see him taking throws from Soto or nailing a guy at the plate on a relay.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
It's not like the current SS and 2B can do that either.

In my world, the Cubs keep Fox around as a super-sub for both corner spots in the IF and OF, I like him in that role and he'd still get 300-400 ABs. They'd also sign am actual SS and move Theriot to 2B and Fontenot comes off the bench permanently.
Fox going to instructional league and learning 2B was definitely discussed on the ESPN broadcast. I agree it's a pipe dream. Like Clapp said, Fox just doesn't have the footwork or lateral quickness to pull it off. I'd rather him go to instructional league and learn 1B and OF better. We're going to have an opening at 1B after next season. I doubt Vitters will be ready by then. Another option would be to trade him if we can get something of quality in return. The dude just mashes the ball.