Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The future of Jake Fox
Can we expect Fox in Cubby blue next season? He doesn't look to me to become our number one guy at any defensive position...since he's not going to displace our overpriced outfielders or Aramis, Lee or Soto. Yet he could start every day somewhere else in the majors. Is he going to be too valuable as trade value to not get dealt in the off season?

Who else should I not get too attached to?
Ideally, he'll stay a Cub, and they will deal off other expensive parts to take advantage of his cheapness. The Cubs' payroll is going to be insane next year, and flexibility will be nill.

But as I've said before: how unbelievably attractive must he look to a smaller market AL team?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=54445:date=Jul 31 2009, 05:03 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 31 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Ideally, he'll stay a Cub, and they will deal off other expensive parts to take advantage of his cheapness. The Cubs' payroll is going to be insane next year, and flexibility will be nill.

But as I've said before: how unbelievably attractive must he look to a smaller market AL team?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seriously...a young DH that can come of the bench and make defensive start when needed.
If we could get a good inexpensive 2B or SS for him in the offseason then I am all for dealing him. Not sure if any such players will be available though.
I'm not concerned about that right now. He's still going to play a part in his deciding his future as a Cub as the season goes on.

If he keeps mashing and plays a key part in us getting into the playoffs, the Cubs are going to want to keep him. Regardless, ANY AL team should be interested in him. He could bring a nice return. I don't think he's an everyday player in the NL though. I mean there's ways to get him 400 at bats but I highly doubt he's a guy that you're going to pencil into 3rd base everyday for example.
@TheBlogfines
He's starting in LF today.
<!--quoteo(post=54452:date=Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not concerned about that right now. He's still going to play a part in his deciding his future as a Cub as the season goes on.

If he keeps mashing and plays a key part in us getting into the playoffs, the Cubs are going to want to keep him. Regardless, ANY AL team should be interested in him. He could bring a nice return. I don't think he's an everyday player in the NL though. I mean there's ways to get him 400 at bats but I highly doubt he's a guy that you're going to pencil into 3rd base everyday for example.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about first base?
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=54456:date=Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54452:date=Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not concerned about that right now. He's still going to play a part in his deciding his future as a Cub as the season goes on.

If he keeps mashing and plays a key part in us getting into the playoffs, the Cubs are going to want to keep him. Regardless, ANY AL team should be interested in him. He could bring a nice return. I don't think he's an everyday player in the NL though. I mean there's ways to get him 400 at bats but I highly doubt he's a guy that you're going to pencil into 3rd base everyday for example.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about first base?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Doubt it. Seems like rock hands are his problem, he doesn't field groundballs cleanly. Try digging out one bouncers at first that way. I shudder at the thought of him trying to scoop some of these throws from Aramis and Theriot that Lee has.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=54460:date=Jul 31 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54456:date=Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54452:date=Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not concerned about that right now. He's still going to play a part in his deciding his future as a Cub as the season goes on.

What about first base?
Doubt it. Seems like rock hands are his problem, he doesn't field groundballs cleanly. Try digging out one bouncers at first that way. I shudder at the thought of him trying to scoop some of these throws from Aramis and Theriot that Lee has.

I think the idea was that he could start at first every day somewhere...not that he could here. Heck, he can't even reach half of the throws Lee can.
<!--quoteo(post=54462:date=Jul 31 2009, 04:20 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 31 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54460:date=Jul 31 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54456:date=Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54452:date=Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not concerned about that right now. He's still going to play a part in his deciding his future as a Cub as the season goes on.

What about first base?

I think the idea was that he could start at first every day somewhere...not that he could here. Heck, he can't even reach half of the throws Lee can.
Yeah he might be able to. I mean he can fill in there for sure, I just don't know if he's a guy you want playing everyday there. Ideally you put him on an AL team, he plays a few games at 1st, few games at 3rd, few in the corner outfield, rest at DH. He works his ass off to get better defensively, everybody says that, and you really get that in his interviews(which are great by the way). So if you put him in a situation where he doesn't even have to worry about that and can just focus on doing what he does best, he could really thrive.
@TheBlogfines
I hope he rakes the rest of the year, and we trade him in the offseason at his highest value.
<!--quoteo(post=54467:date=Jul 31 2009, 05:28 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 05:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54462:date=Jul 31 2009, 04:20 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 31 2009, 04:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54460:date=Jul 31 2009, 05:18 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54456:date=Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jul 31 2009, 04:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=54452:date=Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Jul 31 2009, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I'm not concerned about that right now. He's still going to play a part in his deciding his future as a Cub as the season goes on.

What about first base?

Yeah he might be able to. I mean he can fill in there for sure, I just don't know if he's a guy you want playing everyday there. Ideally you put him on an AL team, he plays a few games at 1st, few games at 3rd, few in the corner outfield, rest at DH. He works his ass off to get better defensively, everybody says that, and you really get that in his interviews(which are great by the way). So if you put him in a situation where he doesn't even have to worry about that and can just focus on doing what he does best, he could really thrive.

I agree with that which is why I think some AL GMs will come shopping for him...if the Cubs don't shop him around. I like the notion that he's still deciding his own future with the Cubs. His "it won't be pretty but I'll get the job done" approach to defense has mostly been the truth. And he clearly works hard at it. Could he become a utility player a la DeRo...the kind a team (ahem) can't afford to let get away?
Yeah, if we can use him to get a quality 2B/SS type of guy, then I'm all for a trade.
In the offseason and through 2010 spring training we could try to convert Soriano back to 2B and see if he's at least serviceable there. I know it's highly unlikely, but it maybe worth a shot.
<!--quoteo(post=54870:date=Aug 2 2009, 07:48 AM:name=alpha)-->QUOTE (alpha @ Aug 2 2009, 07:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->In the offseason and through 2010 spring training we could try to convert Soriano back to 2B and see if he's at least serviceable there. I know it's highly unlikely, but it maybe worth a shot.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umm. No.

He's too gimpy for the infield and he's only getting older.