Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senor Pujols
Interesting topic brought up on Around the Horn. If the Cubs were facing Pujols with the bases loaded would you intentionally walk him or pitch to him? He is 7-9 with the bases loaded FIVE of which were grand slams this year. What would you do as a manager?
i'd ball bat his knees.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=55864:date=Aug 5 2009, 04:22 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Aug 5 2009, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->i'd ball bat his knees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just for the sake of argument lets make it legal.
<!--quoteo(post=55862:date=Aug 5 2009, 04:21 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Aug 5 2009, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting topic brought up on Around the Horn. If the Cubs were facing Pujols with the bases loaded would you intentionally walk him or pitch to him? He is 7-9 with the bases loaded FIVE of which were grand slams this year. What would you do as a manager?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Depends on the score and the inning. Asking to walk him in that situation sure sends a negative message to your pitcher. On the other hand, the numbers speak for themselves.

If we had a three or four run lead in the 9th, I'd strongly consider walking him. Of course, Holliday now hits behind him, so that makes it even tougher.
I'd pitch around him, but no IBB.
you know what i'd do seriously? i'd pitch to him. fuck him. he's human and with a closer like gregg, why would i be scared?
Wang.
Fuck walking him! If you're going to put him on base you may as well drill his ass!
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
<!--quoteo(post=55870:date=Aug 5 2009, 04:26 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Aug 5 2009, 04:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->you know what i'd do seriously? i'd pitch to him. fuck him. he's human and <b>with a closer like gregg, why would i be scared?</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=55871:date=Aug 5 2009, 04:27 PM:name=Jody)-->QUOTE (Jody @ Aug 5 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fuck walking him! If you're going to put him on base you may as well drill his ass!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
lol i like this answer.

As much as the thought of walking him with the bases loaded sucks, those numbers are insane. Five Grand Slams? What's the record for GS in a year I wonder?

Edit: Mattingly had six in 87...but Pujols just tied Ernie with the most in the NL
He's tied for the record with Ernie Banks so there's even more incentive to drill his ass.
I picture a pissed-off Amazon bitch; uncontrollable, disobedient, boldly resisting any kind of emotional shackles...angrily begging for more ejaculate. -KB

Showing your teeth is a sign of weakness in primates. Whenever someone smiles at me, all I see is a chimpanzee begging for its life. - Dwight

RIP Sarge
Throwing at him would be stupid. If he manages to get out of the way, the ball goes to the backstop, 2 runs score and he's still up.
<!--quoteo(post=55875:date=Aug 5 2009, 04:28 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Aug 5 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=55871:date=Aug 5 2009, 04:27 PM:name=Jody)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jody @ Aug 5 2009, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Fuck walking him! If you're going to put him on base you may as well drill his ass!<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
lol i like this answer.

As much as the thought of walking him with the bases loaded sucks, those numbers are insane. Five Grand Slams? What's the record for GS in a year I wonder?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I can't fucking wait until the world knows that he's been using steroids for years.
You're all pussies.

Pitch to him and strike his ass out.
I agree with a previous poster...you have to consider it if you're up by a few runs.
As was said above, it depends on the score and the situation. If we are up by more than 1 run I honestly think I take my chances with Holliday and walk him.

IIRC, didn't Brenly walk Bonds with the bases loaded when the DBacks had a 2 run lead?