Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs Sale Is Done
<!--quoteo(post=63478:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63475:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63474:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63466:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting article on the Cubs sale and their revenue breakdown

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Game-day profits

The Cubs make, on average, more than $2 million for each of their 81 regular-season home games. Here's a breakdown of the estimated income per game:

Tickets $1.8 million
Broadcast rights $275,000
Luxury boxes $120,000
Concessions $185,000
Merchandise $50,000<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
What are the average broadcast rights for other teams? I have no idea what to compare it to, but with a broad fanbase, it seems like the Cubs could do better.
Not sure, but in the article it mentions we only earn $200k from WGN per game, while CSN pays us $350k. I think we can up our broadcast revenue by at least 25% by ditching the superstation.
I wonder how much the Yankees make off the YES network and the Red Sox from NESN. The Cubs need to get in on some similar action...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->When the rights agreement between the Cubs, Comcast and WGN expires in 2019, the Cubs could start their own regional sports network similar to YES, the cable network that generates more than $200 million a year for the Yankees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should read the article.
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
If that figure is anywhere near accurate, then it would mean roughly $1.25 mil per game for the Yanks, though the actual per game totals are much lower I'm sure as the channel has other programming and is on year round.
<!--quoteo(post=63480:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Sep 17 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63478:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63475:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63474:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63466:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting article on the Cubs sale and their revenue breakdown

The Cubs make, on average, more than $2 million for each of their 81 regular-season home games. Here's a breakdown of the estimated income per game:

Tickets $1.8 million
Luxury boxes $120,000
Concessions $185,000
What are the average broadcast rights for other teams? I have no idea what to compare it to, but with a broad fanbase, it seems like the Cubs could do better.
Not sure, but in the article it mentions we only earn $200k from WGN per game, while CSN pays us $350k. I think we can up our broadcast revenue by at least 25% by ditching the superstation.
I wonder how much the Yankees make off the YES network and the Red Sox from NESN. The Cubs need to get in on some similar action...

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->When the rights agreement between the Cubs, Comcast and WGN expires in 2019, the Cubs could start their own regional sports network similar to YES, the cable network that generates more than $200 million a year for the Yankees.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fucking 2019? I wonder if I'll still give a shit about the Cubs then.
<!--quoteo(post=63480:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)-->QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Sep 17 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63478:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63475:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63474:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63466:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting article on the Cubs sale and their revenue breakdown

Tickets $1.8 million
Luxury boxes $120,000
Concessions $185,000

So, just to be clear, the Yankees make more on just their cable network each year, than the cubs make off cable, tickets, merchandising, concessions, and luxury suites? Wow.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=63495:date=Sep 17 2009, 04:28 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Sep 17 2009, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63480:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:12 PM:name=Bricklayer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bricklayer @ Sep 17 2009, 02:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63478:date=Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63475:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63474:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 17 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63466:date=Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 01:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Interesting article on the Cubs sale and their revenue breakdown

Tickets $1.8 million
Luxury boxes $120,000
Concessions $185,000

So, just to be clear, the Yankees make more on just their cable network each year, than the cubs make off cable, tickets, merchandising, concessions, and luxury suites? Wow.
No. I think those are just how much they make at home games. They make money off of all those things except concessions for away games too, and make a ton off merchandising outside of the stadium.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
This is kind of strange.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Former Chicago Cubs All-Star shortstop Shawon Dunston has filed an objection in Delaware bankruptcy court to the Tribune Co.'s sale of the team, saying he's still owed college scholarship money.

The family of billionaire Joe Ricketts, founder of TD Ameritrade, has agreed to buy a 95 percent stake in the team and its Wrigley Field home for $845 million, but the deal must be approved by the bankruptcy court and Major League Baseball.

In a handwritten, one-paragraph statement docketed by the court Thursday, Dunston said he was objecting to the sale because the Cubs owe him college scholarship funds, which he has not used.

Dunston played for the Cubs from 1985 to 1995 and in 1997.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=63566:date=Sep 17 2009, 08:04 PM:name=vegascub)-->QUOTE (vegascub @ Sep 17 2009, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This is kind of strange.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Former Chicago Cubs All-Star shortstop Shawon Dunston has filed an objection in Delaware bankruptcy court to the Tribune Co.'s sale of the team, saying he's still owed college scholarship money.

The family of billionaire Joe Ricketts, founder of TD Ameritrade, has agreed to buy a 95 percent stake in the team and its Wrigley Field home for $845 million, but the deal must be approved by the bankruptcy court and Major League Baseball.

In a handwritten, one-paragraph statement docketed by the court Thursday, Dunston said he was objecting to the sale because the Cubs owe him college scholarship funds, which he has not used.

Dunston played for the Cubs from 1985 to 1995 and in 1997.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Shrug. Creditors are free to object to the disposition of the debtor's assets if they feel it will somehow harm their recovery. Doesn't really mean much.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
I read that earlier. I thought it was a joke. I've always loved Dunston and he's always maintained his loyalty to the team and the fans over the years, so this is very strange news. I recall one interview in particular where he kept saying that he owes "everything" to the Cubs, so I'm shocked he would do this.
<!--quoteo(post=63574:date=Sep 17 2009, 08:08 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I read that earlier. I thought it was a joke. I've always loved Dunston and he's always maintained his loyalty to the team and the fans over the years, so this is very strange news. I recall one interview in particular where he kept saying that he owes "everything" to the Cubs, so I'm shocked he would do this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not shocked at all. I don't know much about what's all in play but there is the weird Cubs bankruptcy thing...maybe this is his last chance to get something he's legitimately owed. Maybe his debtor is about to stop being the debtor and he won't be able to collect from the Ricketts regime. Business is business. This isn't disloyal. It's gotta be peanuts. If it's legit, someone should...and probably will, make good.
<!--quoteo(post=63578:date=Sep 17 2009, 10:20 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 17 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63574:date=Sep 17 2009, 08:08 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 17 2009, 08:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I read that earlier. I thought it was a joke. I've always loved Dunston and he's always maintained his loyalty to the team and the fans over the years, so this is very strange news. I recall one interview in particular where he kept saying that he owes "everything" to the Cubs, so I'm shocked he would do this.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not shocked at all. I don't know much about what's all in play but there is the weird Cubs bankruptcy thing...maybe this is his last chance to get something he's legitimately owed. Maybe his debtor is about to stop being the debtor and he won't be able to collect from the Ricketts regime. Business is business. This isn't disloyal. It's gotta be peanuts. If it's legit, someone should...and probably will, make good.
Almost 15 years after he finished his Cubs career, I think it looks a little fishy to me.
Dunston's Explanation
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Shawon Dunston played for six teams in his big-league career, but he always considered himself a Cub at heart.

So news that Dunston sent a handwritten letter to the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware objecting to the decision to place the team in bankruptcy was surprising.

Dunston, who works part time for the San Francisco Giants, wrote that he was "entitled to college scholarship funds" from the Cubs that were part of his original contract. Reached at his San Francisco-area home Thursday night, Dunston explained that a financial adviser told him to write the letter and that he has no intention of going to college at this stage of his life.

"It was just a formality," Dunston said. "When I signed the contract [in 1982], they said they'd pay for my college tuition if I ever went. It was part of my signing bonus, but I never used it. My adviser asked me about it, and told me to send a letter by the 16th [of September], so that's what I did. I have nothing against the Cubs."

Dunston was among the team's former players who received letters from the bankruptcy court asking if they had any objections to the proceedings, initiated to help expedite the team's sale by Tribune Co., which is in Chapter 11. According to the Cubs, the contractual clause was standard for many top high school players, and amounted to about $8,000 to $10,000 worth of tuition in the early 1980s.

But because Dunston never attended college, he was not owed any tuition money.

"We are aware of Mr. Dunston's concerns and are working to reach a satisfactory conclusion on this issue as quickly as possible. We do not believe this will have any impact on closing of the Cubs transaction," Tribune Co., which also owns the Chicago Tribune, said in a statement.

Dunston said Thursday he never expected to get the money.

"Hey, the Cubs don't owe me anything," he said with a laugh. "In fact, I missed two years with a back injury and they paid me well. I love the Cubs and I'll always be a Cub. If anything, I owe them something."

psullivan@tribune.com<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That makes me feel a little better, but if he is saying that the Cubs don't owe him anything, why write the letter in the first place? Sounds to me as if he got some stupid legal advice over peanuts.
<!--quoteo(post=63599:date=Sep 18 2009, 10:23 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 18 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->That makes me feel a little better, but if he is saying that the Cubs don't owe him anything, why write the letter in the first place? <b>Sounds to me as if he got some stupid legal advice over peanuts.</b><!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's what I took from the article.
It's not a big deal. My assumption is his financial adviser is just being diligent. Just making sure this obligation remains in place in the unlikely event Shawon ever decides to pursue that degree in comparative French literature. It's not going to kill anyone to put it in writing that bankruptcy or no, yeah...we'll pay the tuition.

Silly? Probably. But I doubt it's worrying anyone.
<!--quoteo(post=63611:date=Sep 18 2009, 10:08 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 18 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->It's not a big deal. My assumption is his financial adviser is just being diligent. Just making sure this obligation remains in place in the unlikely event Shawon ever decides to pursue that degree in comparative French literature. It's not going to kill anyone to put it in writing that bankruptcy or no, yeah...we'll pay the tuition.

Silly? Probably. But I doubt it's worrying anyone.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't think anyone is worried about this holding up the sale. I just thought it was odd that Dunston's name would come up over something so trivial. I'm not even sure why the media picked up on it, to be honest.