Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Important NL Stats
I still don't see Pie ever amounting to anything special. He still has a massive hole in his swing and still has a terrible eye at the plate. CPatt had a decent first year in Baltimore too, and we all know how that story ended. Why am I having deja vu from this post?
<!--quoteo(post=61819:date=Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't see Pie ever amounting to anything special. He still has a massive hole in his swing and still has a terrible eye at the plate. CPatt had a decent first year in Baltimore too, and we all know how that story ended. Why am I having deja vu from this post?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just wait, the hee seop choi thread is around the corner.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=61820:date=Sep 4 2009, 12:57 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 4 2009, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=61819:date=Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't see Pie ever amounting to anything special. He still has a massive hole in his swing and still has a terrible eye at the plate. CPatt had a decent first year in Baltimore too, and we all know how that story ended. Why am I having deja vu from this post?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

just wait, the hee seop choi thread is around the corner.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not before someone points out that Bobby Hill is the second coming of Ryno
<!--quoteo(post=61819:date=Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 4 2009, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I still don't see Pie ever amounting to anything special. He still has a massive hole in his swing and still has a terrible eye at the plate. CPatt had a decent first year in Baltimore too, and we all know how that story ended. Why am I having deja vu from this post?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His story hasn't ended yet, the Brewers called him up today!
You know what's strange? The Cubs seem to have a history of guys coming up to the big leagues, and succeeding immediately, and then, for some reason, sucking for the rest of their careers.

Guys like me and tom vividly recall the '89 division winners that featured not only the Rookie-of-the-Year Jerome Walton, but also the guy who was #2 in the ROTY vote, Dwight Smith. Smith had a freaking 141 OPS+ that year, which was better than Ryno or Mark Grace. I thought we were set for <i>years</i>. Then, not just one, but <b>both</b> of those guys suddenly did a Soto/Prior/C Patterson...they just fell off the table, and that was that.

Why?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=61878:date=Sep 4 2009, 05:34 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Sep 4 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know what's strange? The Cubs seem to have a history of guys coming up to the big leagues, and succeeding immediately, and then, for some reason, sucking for the rest of their careers.

Guys like me and tom vividly recall the '89 division winners that featured not only the Rookie-of-the-Year Jerome Walton, but also the guy who was #2 in the ROTY vote, Dwight Smith. Smith had a freaking 141 OPS+ that year, which was better than Ryno or Mark Grace. I thought we were set for <i>years</i>. Then, not just one, but <b>both</b> of those guys suddenly did a Soto/Prior/C Patterson...they just fell off the table, and that was that.

Why?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I have a feeling it's not that uncommon.
<!--quoteo(post=61882:date=Sep 4 2009, 06:53 PM:name=dk123)-->QUOTE (dk123 @ Sep 4 2009, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=61878:date=Sep 4 2009, 05:34 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Sep 4 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know what's strange? The Cubs seem to have a history of guys coming up to the big leagues, and succeeding immediately, and then, for some reason, sucking for the rest of their careers.

Why?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I have a feeling it's not that uncommon.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Not only that, but the Soto/Prior/Patterson analogies are bad ones. Patterson's good season was 2003, his 4th season overall in the majors, and his 3rd season with substantial playing time (including 153 games played in 2002). Same for Prior who was up for most of 2002, and he also had success in the majors through 2005 when healthy. Too soon to even make a comparison on Soto.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
Fair enough.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Dwight Smith had a few decent years with us after 89, but mostly as a PH and part-time player. He had bad knees even in his rookie season, so that really affected his playing time. Plus, he was kind of an old rookie (27 I think) and was never really seen as a can't miss guy. Solid hitter though. I always liked him.
If Soto gets back in shape next year and STILL struggles, then it will be a bit of a head scratcher. Because it's not as if he was one of those guys who had obvious holes in his swing. I will be very interested to watch him next year. Too bad Welington Castillo completely fell off the map this year, otherwise maybe Soto would have felt pushed.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.