Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not that I've noticed...but...
<!--quoteo(post=63354:date=Sep 16 2009, 06:00 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 16 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63351:date=Sep 16 2009, 05:49 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Sep 16 2009, 05:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63348:date=Sep 16 2009, 05:44 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 16 2009, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63347:date=Sep 16 2009, 05:43 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Sep 16 2009, 05:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63343:date=Sep 16 2009, 05:30 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 16 2009, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63340:date=Sep 16 2009, 05:18 PM:name=stevestonescigar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ Sep 16 2009, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Since they've won some games while I haven't been paying attention, I will continue not paying attention...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be me as well. I can't believe some of us are getting sucked back into this.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm not getting sucked into anything. I'm just going to enjoy the rest of the season because October through April is a long, long time.

I am ready for them to be done and for that long long break. I need that long break from this shitty fucking team.
The Cubs are 7 games above .500. Sure, they've underperformed and aren't meeting our expectations...but are they <i>shitty?</i> Man...we've seen some shitty Cubs teams in my lifetime and I don't think this team qualifies.

Meh. This is the most disappointing and unlikeable Cub team I have seen in a while. The only reason they are 7 over is because they have played teams that are even worse than they are for the last few weeks. Coming into this month we were barely over .500. Never fear though because So Taguchi was brought up today!!!
I'm not telling you how to feel about this team -- I agree, for the most part. They've underperformed. But they've also had to deal with a ton of injuries, while the Cards have stayed healthy.

All I'm saying is that I've suffered through seasons WAY worse than this one, and still watched most of the games.

Unlike a lot of people on the board, I don't really follow any other teams or sports. So when baseball has an offseason, I have an offseason. I just think about the Winter Meetings and free agency. And this offseason I can watch what Ricketts does. But I always miss having games to watch over the winter. Maybe that's just me, though...

These days I follow Cubs baseball, Nebraska football and sorta root for the Bears. A college football season is nothing like the commitment of mental energy that a MLB season is. I hear you. I don't just shift gears to other sports. I'm going down in glory or flames with the 2009 Cubs. Fuck it. Cubs fans don't give up on the Cubs.
What? So your telling me that since I have gave up on the season that I am not a Cub fan? You realize you were talking about half the board right? What the fuck ever.
Jstraw: just out of curiousity, how long have you followed the cubs?
It has been a couple of weeks since I watched a game. I should listen on-line, but I don't feel like it.

I want to finish above .500, because the Cubs have never done that three years in a row during my lifetime.

The Cubs and cards almost never finish 1-2, but it really sucks being on the wrong end of that one.

Since this team is pretty much going to be the same team next year, I am glad to see they did not just roll over and die.

Go CUbs!!
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
WCUI tonight? Fuck, I wanted to sit down and watch the whole game.
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
<!--quoteo(post=63359:date=Sep 16 2009, 06:58 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Sep 16 2009, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Jstraw: just out of curiousity, how long have you followed the cubs?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

40 years...with wildly varying intensity...25 years with my heart in it...around 10 years paying attention to stuff like winter meetings and maybe 5 giving a shit about stats.

My point about not giving up is that the Cubs have always tested a fan's resolve. Giving up on a season is fine...it's sensible. But Cubs fans...look where Butch was with this team two weeks ago and look at him today....and he knows damn well he's probably going to get his heart broken for his trouble.

I'm not saying that giving up on the season means someone isn't a fan. I'm saying that giving a damn when you don't have a living relative that can remember winning it all means you are one.

In spite of how this season will probably end and in spite of the farm system and the contracts and the Cajuns and Lou losing his fire...just the prospect of a new owner means, well...everything.

We'll hang our hats on anything. We don't give up.

why would you put yourself through this?
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=63369:date=Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->why would you put yourself through this?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What's my alternative, the Royals?
<!--quoteo(post=63371:date=Sep 16 2009, 08:21 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 16 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63369:date=Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->why would you put yourself through this?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'm not sure how the royals would be a better alternative to anything.
Wang.
see what you guys did! we are getting hammered.
this whole thread was a bad idea.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=63374:date=Sep 16 2009, 08:39 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 16 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63371:date=Sep 16 2009, 08:21 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 16 2009, 08:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63369:date=Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 16 2009, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->why would you put yourself through this?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i'm not sure how the royals would be a better alternative to anything.

See where I live?
The Cards and Giants lost. Could have been worse.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=63311:date=Sep 16 2009, 03:24 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 16 2009, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63310:date=Sep 16 2009, 03:13 PM:name=Giff)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Giff @ Sep 16 2009, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=63309:date=Sep 16 2009, 03:11 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Sep 16 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Let me just throw out a completely nutty scenario:

- The Cards/Marlins score holds up and the Cards lose 4-0. We win tonight. We're 7.5 back.

- We win tomorrow. The Cards have an off day. We're 7 back.

- We sweep the Cards. We're 4 back.

It will take a miracle, but man...what if that happened? It would be a huge blow to the Cards' confidence and a huge boost to ours. We'd still need a whole lot of Cubs wins and Cards losses in a short amount of time, but crazier things have happened.

Sorry. I need something to keep the hope alive...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Did someone steal your password?
I did preface it by saying that it's completely nutty.

It's not nutty...it's the same way America got started.

You gotta keep rooting until it's over.
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?