Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MLB Owners Approve Sale of Cubs to Ricketts
Next Tuesday is the day. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cheers.gif[/img]
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=35904
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs days away from changing hands

By: Ann Saphir Oct. 23, 2009

(Crain’s) — The Chicago Cubs are expected to have new owners by the end of next week, as the family of TD Ameritrade Holding Corp. founder Joe Ricketts completes its $845-million purchase of the team.

Chicago-based bond salesman Thomas Ricketts, who has led his family’s bid during a 2½-year-long process, will be chairman of an enterprise that also owns Wrigley Field and a 25% stake in Comcast SportsNet Chicago. Tribune Co., which bought the team for about $20 million in 1981, will keep a 5% stake in the business as a way to avoid a hefty capital gains tax.

Earlier this month, approvals from Major League Baseball and a judge overseeing Tribune’s bankruptcy case cleared the way for the transaction. The team is running out the clock on a 10-day period for objectors to register any dissent in Bankruptcy Court. That period will be up early next week; the deal’s close is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, one insider says, although such dates can easily slip.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=67157:date=Oct 24 2009, 02:44 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Oct 24 2009, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Next Tuesday is the day. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cheers.gif[/img]
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=35904
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Cubs days away from changing hands

By: Ann Saphir Oct. 23, 2009

(Crain’s) — The Chicago Cubs are expected to have new owners by the end of next week, as the family of TD Ameritrade Holding Corp. founder Joe Ricketts completes its $845-million purchase of the team.

Chicago-based bond salesman Thomas Ricketts, who has led his family’s bid during a 2½-year-long process, will be chairman of an enterprise that also owns Wrigley Field and a 25% stake in Comcast SportsNet Chicago. Tribune Co., which bought the team for about $20 million in 1981, will keep a 5% stake in the business as a way to avoid a hefty capital gains tax.

Earlier this month, approvals from Major League Baseball and a judge overseeing Tribune’s bankruptcy case cleared the way for the transaction. The team is running out the clock on a 10-day period for objectors to register any dissent in Bankruptcy Court. That period will be up early next week; the deal’s close is tentatively scheduled for Tuesday, one insider says, although such dates can easily slip.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cavalry.gif[/img]
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img]
I caught the end of Caplan's show on wgn last night. He had a reporter from cnbc who seemed to know Ricketts, and said that Cub fans are going to be thrilled after they here what Ricketts has to stay at his first press conference.
"Drink Up and Beat Off!"
-KBWSB

"Will I be looked on poorly if my religion involved punting little people?"
-Jody
<!--quoteo(post=67162:date=Oct 24 2009, 05:57 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Oct 24 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I caught the end of Caplan's show on wgn last night. He had a reporter from cnbc who seemed to know Ricketts, and said that Cub fans are going to be thrilled after they here what Ricketts has to stay at his first press conference.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm already getting hard.
<!--quoteo(post=67163:date=Oct 24 2009, 07:06 PM:name=jeffy)-->QUOTE (jeffy @ Oct 24 2009, 07:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=67162:date=Oct 24 2009, 05:57 PM:name=savant)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (savant @ Oct 24 2009, 05:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I caught the end of Caplan's show on wgn last night. He had a reporter from cnbc who seemed to know Ricketts, and said that Cub fans are going to be thrilled after they here what Ricketts has to stay at his first press conference.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm already getting hard.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
TMI
<!--quoteo(post=67162:date=Oct 24 2009, 06:57 PM:name=savant)-->QUOTE (savant @ Oct 24 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I caught the end of Caplan's show on wgn last night. He had a reporter from cnbc who seemed to know Ricketts, and said that Cub fans are going to be thrilled after they here what Ricketts has to stay at his first press conference.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is my question, when are we going to get this press conference. I really just want to hear from this would be saviour of our team and not through a press release or second hand information.
Looks like it's official. Presser on Friday.

Ricketts
Some men are born mediocre, some men achieve mediocrity, and some men have mediocrity thrust upon them.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img] [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/headbang.gif[/img]

Suck it, Zell.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->After taxes and fees, Chicago-based Tribune, which owns newspapers and TV stations, expects to reap about $740 million from unloading most of its stake in the baseball team. Tribune will maintain a 5 percent stake.

Tom Ricketts, 44, who will serve as board chairman, said the board "will go to work building the championship tradition that all Cubs fans so richly deserve."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
FUCK YEAH, RICKETTS!
Damnit, why couldn't they have the press conference today?
Am I a complete sucker for having a renewed sense of hope and excitement?
<!--quoteo(post=67338:date=Oct 27 2009, 11:03 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Oct 27 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Am I a complete sucker for having a renewed sense of hope and excitement?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I refuse to get my hopes up, at least, until I've heard what Ricketts plans to do this offseason.
<!--quoteo(post=67338:date=Oct 27 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Oct 27 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Am I a complete sucker for having a renewed sense of hope and excitement?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes but so what? It's what we're born to do.
<!--quoteo(post=67338:date=Oct 27 2009, 12:03 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Oct 27 2009, 12:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Am I a complete sucker for having a renewed sense of hope and excitement?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm right there with you, but then again I have nothing else to look forward to sports-wise right now, so I need something to believe in. Might as well be Ricketts.