Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blake Parker
Linkage
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Promoted to Triple-A Iowa last May 11, Parker piled up 22 saves. He struck out 58 batters in 51 innings, had a 3.00 ERA and held hitters to a .196 average. Parker, 24, has two saves and a victory in five appearance for the Mesa Solar Sox in the Arizona Fall League.

In three years as a minor-league pitcher, Parker had given up only six home runs. And he had been nearly perfect in Arizona, logging a 0.00 ERA over 3 1/3 innings with three strikeouts and no walks in his first three games. But that changed drastically last weekend when he was victimized by back-to-back homers and blew a save against the Scottsdale Scorpions.

Parker, who works at 91 to 93 mph and tops out at 96, explains it this way:

"On the first one, I threw a two-seamer that I thought was down, but he was all over it. I threw a 2-2 breaking ball to the second guy, but I hung it, and that one should have been hit out. There are some good hitters out here."

That was reinforced Tuesday. Brought into a ninth-inning tie game against the Peoria Saguaros, Parker got the first hitter on a fly ball but then gave up a sharp double and an intentional walk before walking another batter. A subsequent sacrifice fly pinned him with the loss.

So even though Carlos Marmol might make you squirm and Kevin Gregg might make you twitch, Parker isn't necessarily ready to displace the Cubs' end-of-the-rotation guys just yet.

"I don't really care when I pitch," he said. "I just want to be up there. Your mindset shouldn't change no matter what inning you pitch.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thoughts?
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=67458:date=Oct 28 2009, 05:03 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Oct 28 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Linkage
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Promoted to Triple-A Iowa last May 11, Parker piled up 22 saves. He struck out 58 batters in 51 innings, had a 3.00 ERA and held hitters to a .196 average. Parker, 24, has two saves and a victory in five appearance for the Mesa Solar Sox in the Arizona Fall League.

In three years as a minor-league pitcher, Parker had given up only six home runs. And he had been nearly perfect in Arizona, logging a 0.00 ERA over 3 1/3 innings with three strikeouts and no walks in his first three games. But that changed drastically last weekend when he was victimized by back-to-back homers and blew a save against the Scottsdale Scorpions.

"On the first one, I threw a two-seamer that I thought was down, but he was all over it. I threw a 2-2 breaking ball to the second guy, but I hung it, and that one should have been hit out. There are some good hitters out here."

That was reinforced Tuesday. Brought into a ninth-inning tie game against the Peoria Saguaros, Parker got the first hitter on a fly ball but then gave up a sharp double and an intentional walk before walking another batter. A subsequent sacrifice fly pinned him with the loss.

So even though Carlos Marmol might make you squirm and Kevin Gregg might make you twitch, Parker isn't necessarily ready to displace the Cubs' end-of-the-rotation guys just yet.

"I don't really care when I pitch," he said. "I just want to be up there. Your mindset shouldn't change no matter what inning you pitch.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thoughts?
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Blake? That's not a name, that's a major appliance.
<!--quoteo(post=67458:date=Oct 28 2009, 05:03 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Oct 28 2009, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Linkage
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Promoted to Triple-A Iowa last May 11, Parker piled up 22 saves. He struck out 58 batters in 51 innings, had a 3.00 ERA and held hitters to a .196 average. Parker, 24, has two saves and a victory in five appearance for the Mesa Solar Sox in the Arizona Fall League.

Thoughts?

That's quite the knee jerk reaction to a reliever getting knocked around in a hitters league like the AFL. I don't think Parker will be closing games for the Cubs, but I think he'll be a solid middle reliever for quite some time for the Cubs. He's only really been pitching for three years and has been dominant since he started. Over the course of his minor league tenure, he's averaged more than a strikeout per inning and sports a 2.41 K/BB ratio. He's one of my favorites.

While we're on the topic of both Marmol and Parker... they're actually fantastic comparisons. They have very similar K/9, BB/9, and K/BB in the minors and are both converted position players. Assuming Parker hits the big leagues next year, they will both be starting at the major league level at the same age (disregarding Marmol's shitty stint as a starter in '06).

The differences are Marmol started almost all of the games he played in the minors, Marmol allowed slightly less BBs, Parker K'ed slightly more, and Parker had a significantly better WHIP and hits per 9. It's a very good comp.
Parker is a dime a dozen middle reliever arm.
<!--quoteo(post=67491:date=Oct 29 2009, 07:24 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Oct 29 2009, 07:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Parker is a dime a dozen middle reliever arm.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Did you think the same thing about Marmol when he was brought into the bullpen?
Does Parker throw a slider like Marmol's?
Is there any video on this guy? At least with Marmol you could see he had good stuff even when he first came up and was ineffective. I'd like to be able to see this Parker guy with my own eyes before forming an opinion.
I'm still not convinced Marmol is good.
<!--quoteo(post=67497:date=Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does Parker throw a slider like Marmol's?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, but he's got a good changeup and a sinking 95 mph fastball to go with his plus slider. He's struck out more batters and allowed less hits than Marmol did in the minors.

<!--quoteo(post=67497:date=Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM:name=ColoradoCub)-->QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does Parker throw a slider like Marmol's?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Over the last couple of years when Marmol spots his slider for strikes, there isn't a better pitch in the MLB.
<!--quoteo(post=67508:date=Oct 29 2009, 12:30 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Oct 29 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=67497:date=Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does Parker throw a slider like Marmol's?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, but he's got a good changeup and a sinking 95 mph fastball to go with his plus slider. He's struck out more batters and allowed less hits than Marmol did in the minors.
The article says that he works at 91-93
Sounds alot like Rocky Cherry, Kevin Hart, Billy Petrick, etc
<!--quoteo(post=67537:date=Oct 29 2009, 03:11 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Oct 29 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=67508:date=Oct 29 2009, 12:30 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Oct 29 2009, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=67497:date=Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Oct 29 2009, 10:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Does Parker throw a slider like Marmol's?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The article says that he works at 91-93
Sounds alot like Rocky Cherry, Kevin Hart, Billy Petrick, etc

First of all, here's a scouting report from BA.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"He has a low 90's sinker that touches 95 mph and often seems to disappear at teh plate. he picked up a changeup from Dae-Eun Rhee...Parker's changeup shows the makings of becoming a reliable pitch, and his slider is improving as well." - Baseball America<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been told he usually throws 93-95.

Second of all, Kevin Hart and Billy Petrick used to pitch in the high 90s. Only goes to show you that velocity isn't everything.

And lastly, none of those guys even came close to a cumulative 1.18 WHIP and 9.6 K/9 as minor leaguers.
Relief prospects are a fascinating bunch. Guys who look like studs don't do shit, and then guys come out of nowhere to be quality ML relievers.

Who the hell had ever heard of Michael Wuertz before he made the bullpen in Spring Training? I certainly hadn't.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=67570:date=Oct 29 2009, 05:39 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Oct 29 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Relief prospects are a fascinating bunch. Guys who look like studs don't do shit, and then guys come out of nowhere to be quality ML relievers.

Who the hell had ever heard of Michael Wuertz before he made the bullpen in Spring Training? I certainly hadn't.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had. But that was mostly because a guy I knew had golfed with him in Arizona the year before.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.