Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rogers Declares Cardinals Team of the Decade
<!--quoteo(post=68355:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68354:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So did the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Exactly, that was my point.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So the Cubs, a team with VASTLY larger resources, a massively bigger population, and usually triple the payroll, playing in a weaker league, performed significantly worse than this A's team over the decade.

Why is that?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=68420:date=Nov 6 2009, 01:53 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 6 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68355:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68354:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So did the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
So the Cubs, a team with VASTLY larger resources, a massively bigger population, and usually triple the payroll, playing in a weaker league, performed significantly worse than this A's team over the decade.

Why is that?
This is just a wild stab in the dark...but I'm going to guess it has something to do with Billy Beane and/or On-Base Percentage.

Am I close?
<!--quoteo(post=68420:date=Nov 6 2009, 01:53 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 6 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68355:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68354:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So did the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why is that?
My first response would be to recall that although the Cubs had a significant advantage in resources, management until recently did not deploy those resources wisely compared to the A's.

The A's knew they were a small market team with relatively minor budgets so they determined a long term strategy. Yeah, the strategy used sabermetrics to identify what the market undervalued and use that to help construct the franchise but that is only one component. They committed to building through the draft and trading players they knew they couldn't afford. Finally, the A's also understand that given their limitations, they weren't going to contend on an annual basis so they don't necessarily trade away resources so they can fill holes on an annual basis.

I guess it didn't hurt to pick up guys like Zito, Mulder, Hudson, Tejeda or Giambi but their draft and scouting determined these were the players that they were going to acquire.

You look at the Cubs draft choices between 1985 - 2008, I believe that only 13 of the 74 first, second and third round choices even made it into the majors. MacPhail and Hendry rebuilt the Cubs minor league system during this time and the Cubs have begun seeing the fruits of their labors - Soto, Theriot, etc. but the system doesn't compare to what the A's have been able to do over the same time period.
If someone brings up Adam Dunn, I will stab them in the eye.

Why is that?
They were lucky enough to draft Hudson, Zito, and Mulder and keep them healthy. While the Cubs had Prior, Wood, Zambrano and ended up with a multitude of health problems. It's really that simple. They didn't win becuase of Moneyball, they didn't win because of Beane, they didn't win because they did anything different. They one because their pitching (which was basically equal to the Cubs) stayed healthy for their 6 or 7 year run, while the Cubs all got hurt. It. Is. That. Simple.

And both teams won as the same amount of playoff series in the decade. Yay.
<!--quoteo(post=68428:date=Nov 6 2009, 02:46 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Nov 6 2009, 02:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68420:date=Nov 6 2009, 01:53 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 6 2009, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68355:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=68354:date=Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Nov 5 2009, 10:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->So did the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why is that?
They were lucky enough to draft Hudson, Zito, and Mulder and keep them healthy. While the Cubs had Prior, Wood, Zambrano and ended up with a multitude of health problems. It's really that simple. They didn't win becuase of Moneyball, they didn't win because of Beane, they didn't win because they did anything different. They one because their pitching (which was basically equal to the Cubs) stayed healthy for their 6 or 7 year run, while the Cubs all got hurt. It. Is. That. Simple.

And both teams won as the same amount of playoff series in the decade. Yay.

Sorry I was editing the post to mention the A's drafting and scouting to add Zito, Hudson and Mulder along with Tejeda and Giambi.

I do believe the A's management acts significantly different than the Cubs due to their resource constraints. If the A's had the Cubs resources, I don't know if they would act differently.