Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
The obvious question that hasn't been asked yet is... what if Theriot, Fontenot, and Castro all perform well throughout the year? Does Theriot get offered at the deadline? Or Fontenot? Do the Cubs ride out the two Frenchies and make a move in the off season?
<!--quoteo(post=82801:date=Mar 15 2010, 08:42 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 15 2010, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The obvious question that hasn't been asked yet is... what if Theriot, Fontenot, and Castro all perform well throughout the year? Does Theriot get offered at the deadline? Or Fontenot? Do the Cubs ride out the two Frenchies and make a move in the off season?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If Fontenot and Theriot hit at their full potential, I'd take Fontenot given his better slugging numbers and ability to play 3rd as well. Nothing against Theriot, and if he does well in the leadoff role, that complicates things, but we've pretty much seen his ceiling and it isn't that impressive.
<!--quoteo(post=82802:date=Mar 15 2010, 08:45 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Mar 15 2010, 08:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82801:date=Mar 15 2010, 08:42 AM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Mar 15 2010, 08:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The obvious question that hasn't been asked yet is... what if Theriot, Fontenot, and Castro all perform well throughout the year? Does Theriot get offered at the deadline? Or Fontenot? Do the Cubs ride out the two Frenchies and make a move in the off season?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
If Fontenot and Theriot hit at their full potential, I'd take Fontenot given his better slugging numbers and ability to play 3rd as well. Nothing against Theriot, and if he does well in the leadoff role, that complicates things, but we've pretty much seen his ceiling and it isn't that impressive.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I mostly agree with you. But, even though Theriot's defense is frowned upon, it's nice to have a player who can put up a .340 or better OBP and play shortstop in a pinch. Then again, it might turn out that Fontenot is as good a shortstop as Theriot. Fonenot becomes the obvious keeper if that's true.
Just because he will only be 20 when the season starts does not mean that he isnt ready for the show. He is showing what he can do against Major League pitching, as well as what he could do against those who are knocking on the door in the Arizona Fall League

Fontenot is playing well now, as is Theriot which is making the decision easier to send Castro down. Another obvious indicator that he isnt going to break the club with the team is that Theriot will not play 2B at any point this spring.

Castro will likely be called up in June, which ironically will push back his arbitrtation years by a year. They wont ever say this is the reason, because if they did theyd be called cheap. If he were to break camp (which he wont) there would be in one game out another for him. Theriot would instantly move to 2B with Fontenot and Baker as two of our bench players.

Thats just a brief summary of my thoughts on the Castro situation
<!--quoteo(post=82821:date=Mar 15 2010, 11:37 AM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 11:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Just because he will only be 20 when the season starts does not mean that he isnt ready for the show. He is showing what he can do against Major League pitching, as well as what he could do against those who are knocking on the door in the Arizona Fall League

Fontenot is playing well now, as is Theriot which is making the decision easier to send Castro down. Another obvious indicator that he isnt going to break the club with the team is that Theriot will not play 2B at any point this spring.

Castro will likely be called up in June, which ironically will push back his arbitrtation years by a year. They wont ever say this is the reason, because if they did theyd be called cheap. If he were to break camp (which he wont) there would be in one game out another for him. Theriot would instantly move to 2B with Fontenot and Baker as two of our bench players.

Thats just a brief summary of my thoughts on the Castro situation<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think Castro would break camp with the team if both Font's arms fell off.
I dont think he will either
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Lou Piniella has settled on a leadoff man. Piniella said Monday that Ryan Theriot will leadoff for the Cubs with Kosuke Fukudome batting second. Also, Piniella said Theriot's LSU teammate, Mike Fontenot, has "jumped ahead" of Jeff Baker in the battle for playing time at second base.

"It hasn't been finalized but that's the way I view it," Piniella said.

With Theriot set at No. 1, the lineup would be the shortstop followed by Fukudome, Derrek Lee, Aramis Ramirez, Marlon Byrd, Alfonso Soriano, whoever is at second and Geovany Soto. That gives the Cubs left-handed hitters in the Nos. 2 and 7 holes.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
You know I haven't ever really followed Tyler Colvin that closely over the years...but has he ever done this well? He's 2-3 again today...I mean he has to make the team over Fuld...right?
<!--quoteo(post=82859:date=Mar 15 2010, 04:28 PM:name=funkster)-->QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 15 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know I haven't ever really followed Tyler Colvin that closely over the years...but has he ever done this well? He's 2-3 again today...I mean he has to make the team over Fuld...right?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

according to Carrie Muskat he is second in the Cactus League in batting average. He is certainly trying to earn that 5th spot on the bench. My own opinion though is that I don't think I want him to make the team if he isn't going to be starting. I want him to get some regular at bats, which he won't get with the Cubs
If he earns a spot than put him on the bench. He's not some young 20 year old that needs nurturing.
<!--quoteo(post=82861:date=Mar 15 2010, 05:35 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82859:date=Mar 15 2010, 04:28 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 15 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know I haven't ever really followed Tyler Colvin that closely over the years...but has he ever done this well? He's 2-3 again today...I mean he has to make the team over Fuld...right?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

according to Carrie Muskat he is second in the Cactus League in batting average. He is certainly trying to earn that 5th spot on the bench. My own opinion though is that I don't think I want him to make the team if he isn't going to be starting. I want him to get some regular at bats, which he won't get with the Cubs
I quit reading after according to Carrie Muskat.
Good to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that about her
<!--quoteo(post=82861:date=Mar 15 2010, 03:35 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 15 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=82859:date=Mar 15 2010, 04:28 PM:name=funkster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (funkster @ Mar 15 2010, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->You know I haven't ever really followed Tyler Colvin that closely over the years...but has he ever done this well? He's 2-3 again today...I mean he has to make the team over Fuld...right?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If he goes through the rest of spring training without taking a single walk, I don't want him on the roster either.
very good point, however, if he can hit .400 like he is doing this Spring, I dont care if he draws a walk
Yeah, plate discipline is not exactly his strong suit. He had 15 total walks in 500 ABs in 2007. He has gotten a bit better but not much. Last year he had 29 in 420 ABs.