Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
<!--QuoteBegin- Muskrat Cubs Inbox+-->QUOTE ( Muskrat Cubs Inbox)<!--QuoteEBegin-->I've been wondering if there was some reason Blanco has been left out of the roster discussion. It seems no one considers him a candidate for much of anything, but I was very impressed with what I saw of him last year. He made some incredible plays. I know his hitting left something to be desired, but isn't that something that a lot of guys struggle with when they only get into 53 games? Can you help me understand why he's not getting any credit or consideration?
-- Jonathan T., St. Charles, Ill.

The decision comes down to whether the bench is made up of offensive or defensive players. In a perfect world, you have both. Blanco has shown he can play solid defense at second and short. If Mike Fontenot can play second and short, then the Cubs may opt to keep another hitter on the bench, which could include someone like Kevin Millar. One thing to consider regarding Blanco is that he's one of six players out of options. That list includes Jeff Baker, Angel Guzman, Tom Gorzelanny, Koyie Hill and Geovany Soto.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If Blanco is out of options, does it mean that if he doesn't make the 25-man roster, he has to clear waivers before going to the minors?
Or if you have less than 5 years experience, are you able to be sent down without having to clear waivers? According to ESPN stats Blanco has '4 years experience'.

I like Blanco a lot, I would like to see him make the team. Hes defense is basically as good as it gets, and people like to bring up his offense but I feel that he did a respectable job for a rookie who wasn't getting consistant at-bats (his BA was higher than most of our starting lineup). His offense should definitely continue to improve.
Short answer is, if the guy is out of options, he's subjected to waivers when the Cubs try to send him down. Hard to imagine Blanco not being claimed.
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=81126:date=Mar 1 2010, 05:17 PM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 1 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Short answer is, if the guy is out of options, he's subjected to waivers when the Cubs try to send him down. Hard to imagine Blanco not being claimed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Have to remember though that if he was claimed, he has to go right on someone's 25 man roster. Unless some team had a gaping hole at a utility spot and no one from their own organization to fill it, I bet he would clear waivers.

I like Blanco, and I don't believe Fontenot has any ability to play SS, so I think he should make the team, but right now my prediction would be that he doesn't. Especially with everyone in the organization seemingly believing that if Theriot got hurt or sucked, that Castro could come up and be ready.

If Blanco could only hit, even a little..... Its just tough to give two of five bench spots to Koyie and Blanco, both of whom are pretty much defensive guys only.

I really wish we would stop carrying 12 pitchers all the time.
<!--quoteo(post=81129:date=Mar 1 2010, 07:29 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 1 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81126:date=Mar 1 2010, 05:17 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 1 2010, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Short answer is, if the guy is out of options, he's subjected to waivers when the Cubs try to send him down. Hard to imagine Blanco not being claimed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Have to remember though that if he was claimed, he has to go right on someone's 25 man roster. Unless some team had a gaping hole at a utility spot and no one from their own organization to fill it, I bet he would clear waivers.

I like Blanco, and I don't believe Fontenot has any ability to play SS, so I think he should make the team, but right now my prediction would be that he doesn't. Especially with everyone in the organization seemingly believing that if Theriot got hurt or sucked, that Castro could come up and be ready.

If Blanco could only hit, even a little..... Its just tough to give two of five bench spots to Koyie and Blanco, both of whom are pretty much defensive guys only.

I really wish we would stop carrying 12 pitchers all the time.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess I just figured there's got to be a team out there whose utility infielder type is worse than Blanco.
Blanco will not make the team. Fontenot is playing a lot of SS this spring, and will be the backup SS.

Blanco will either be sent to the minors or traded.

Your bench will be

Hill backing up Soto
Nady backing up the OF
Baker/Fontenot
Millar
Tracy
<!--quoteo(post=81135:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)-->QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Blanco will not make the team. Fontenot is playing a lot of SS this spring, and will be the backup SS.

Your bench will be

Hill backing up Soto
Nady backing up the OF
Baker/Fontenot
Millar
Tracy<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'll bet my nuts that both Millar and Tracy don't make the Opening Day roster.
<!--quoteo(post=81143:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81135:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Blanco will not make the team. Fontenot is playing a lot of SS this spring, and will be the backup SS.

Your bench will be

Hill backing up Soto
Nady backing up the OF
Baker/Fontenot
Millar

Yeah I don't think so either. Millar is a mascot, nothing more.

Fontenot also can't play SS at all, not even a little, so I still think there is a good chance he will suck enough in spring to convince Lou we need Blanco. If not then the bench will probably be Nady, Fontenot, Hill, Tracy, Fuld.
<!--quoteo(post=81144:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 1 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81143:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81135:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Blanco will not make the team. Fontenot is playing a lot of SS this spring, and will be the backup SS.

Your bench will be

Hill backing up Soto
Nady backing up the OF
Baker/Fontenot
Millar

Fontenot also can't play SS at all, not even a little, so I still think there is a good chance he will suck enough in spring to convince Lou we need Blanco. If not then the bench will probably be Nady, Fontenot, Hill, Tracy, Fuld.
Ding.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=81145:date=Mar 1 2010, 10:51 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 1 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81144:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 1 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81143:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81135:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Blanco will not make the team. Fontenot is playing a lot of SS this spring, and will be the backup SS.

Your bench will be

Hill backing up Soto
Nady backing up the OF
Baker/Fontenot
Millar

Ding.

Double ding.
<!--quoteo(post=81152:date=Mar 2 2010, 06:47 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ Mar 2 2010, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81145:date=Mar 1 2010, 10:51 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 1 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81144:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:37 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Mar 1 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81143:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Mar 1 2010, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=81135:date=Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM:name=AnnoCatuli)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AnnoCatuli @ Mar 1 2010, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Blanco will not make the team. Fontenot is playing a lot of SS this spring, and will be the backup SS.

Your bench will be

Hill backing up Soto
Nady backing up the OF
Baker/Fontenot
Millar

Ding.

Double ding.
Triple ding . . . but if Tracy shows any ability to cover the corner OF spots, I'd like to see Fuld replaced by Blanco.
Mets/Braves streaming on MLB.tv
Lou:
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Soto really looks wonderful here in camp<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->We’re going to take it a little easy with Xavier Nady. Boy I’ll tel you what – this guy can swing the bat. He’ll probably play sparingly early in the season and we’ll build him up. At the same time we’ve got some experienced people that Jim (Hendry) picked up over the winter to give our bench more depth. Now, the biggest job we really have here during Spring Training with this team is to find out who our number five starter is going to be, and at the same time, try to find one right-handed reliever that can pitch late in the ballgame. Because we traded Heilman and Gregg went out on the free agent market, so that leaves us without an experience right-handed reliever and I think that Jim is trying to address that already, and if not, we’ve got to find it out in camp.”<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou Radio Interview Transcript
@TheBlogfines
Summary from Arizona Phil

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Sam Fuld and Micah Hoffpauir had some really nice swings, and Carlos Silva actually looked fairly ambulatory out there on the mound. He doesn't seem to be hurting, although his pitches sure don't fool anybody. It would probably really help his release point and arm angle (and overall health) if he could maybe lose a few pounds around the gut.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Grabow was hit hard, but Dempster looked good, and Marmol and Caridad were absolutely "lights out" (and Marmol didn't even hit anybody!).<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Fukudome hit Grabow pretty well, especially considering Kosuke's perceived weakness versus LHP. Along with Tyler Colvin and Geovany Soto, Fukudome has probably been the most-impressive hitter so far in camp, and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up hitting lead-off and playing RF most every day this year. In fact, this could well be his MLB "break-out" season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Soriano (somewhat surprisingly) also has been swinging the bat well so far, although he apparently is not yet able to cut loose running the bases.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->While Cashner and Gaub were getting in their work, Ryne Sandberg and Alan Trammell were working out Starlin Castro on Field #5 (the "half-field" - infield-only). No question Castro impressed Ryno and Trammell, but especially Trammell, probablly because this was the first chance Trammell had to work one-on-one with the young Cubs shortstop prodigy. Castro is indeed by all accounts a pleasure to coach.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Fukudome shouldn't ever see the field against LHP. Perceived weakness? If perceived means actual, yes.

I find it hard to believe we're going to be witnessing his "break out" season.