Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
<!--quoteo(post=80662:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:17 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 25 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People like to take shots at Soriano for being lazy and not giving effort and being a showboat, etc. etc.

I think the real reason is that Soriano is just fucking dumb. I'm dead serious. He is super talented, athletic, fast, strong, but he is a grade A dumbass.

I do agree with Clapp though, I think he cares and does the best that he can, he is just stupid. If he had smarts and confidence to match his talent, I honestly think he would be the best player on the planet.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bingo, it's all that he's just a complete dumbass. He cares though.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=80658:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:01 PM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 01:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80656:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:54 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 25 2010, 12:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80647:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:30 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 12:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80638:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:15 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80637:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:14 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 25 2010, 12:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80627:date=Feb 25 2010, 11:04 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Feb 25 2010, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Part of the signing was to make a splash in the free agent market and to generate some buzz -- and both of those things were done to make the team more attractive to potential buyers.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"So Tom, gonna buy the Cubs eh? Well...<i>I wasn't</i> but now that the GM under contract has saddled the team with a bunch of bloated, back-loaded contacts the franchise is looking a LOT better to me. LOVE the Sorano deal, for example."
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Maybe not now, but when Soriano signed, he absolutely made the Cubs more marketable.
Let me just add to this. The Cubs had just come off an abysmal season and a 6th place finish. Hendry was told to build a winner -- and cost wasn't an issue. He proceeded to go on a spending spree (that made most Cubs fans jizz in their pants, by the way) that ended up putting together back to back division titles.

All of this made the team more attractive to potential buyers.

You said that the signing was to make a splash in the free agent market and generate some buzz and that this makes the team more attractive to buyers. It doesn't. Winning does. Nothing about loose purse strings per se, makes the team a more salable commodity.

I'd argue that taken on it's own, the opposite is true. Those deals don't help sell the team, the results on the field may or may not. A prospective owner still knows he's getting a back to back division winner with a left fielder that is getting old, may or may not ever be healthy again and may or may not have ever earned what he was getting paid, let alone ever earn it during the back end of the contract.

Yes, buying a team where fan interest is still high on the bell curve will sell more merch than buying a year-in, year-out loser would but Cubs fan interest is never low. The Soriano deal only makes sense as a gamble toward winning it all during the front end of his deal. Without even evaluating that aspect of the decision to sign him worked out or not, it's still the only <i>good</i> to consider the signing. Making a splash on the FA market is only useful for helping Hendry deflect criticism for about ten minutes. It's the worst possible reason to blow big money.
For all of his faults, without Alf, we don't win back-to-back divisions. Think the Trib wanted to try to sell a 6th place team? After 2006, things were looking grim. Hendry's spending spree took the team from 6th to 1st.

When you buy the top free agent on the market, you're going to get fucked -- no two ways about it.

I've never said I'm happy about Alf's contract. But I absolutely understand why Hendry pursued him. Hendry had to build a winner -- and quickly. The only way to do that is by paying for it. Building from within (and fiscally responsibly) takes time. Hendry didn't have time.

I agree that we don't win those divisions without him. As I said, THAT is the reason to go get him...NOT to make a splash in the market.

But I'm not sure the Ricketts' don't still buy and I'm not sure the price is significantly lower without those divisional championships.
<!--quoteo(post=80663:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:18 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 25 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80662:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:17 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 25 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People like to take shots at Soriano for being lazy and not giving effort and being a showboat, etc. etc.

I think the real reason is that Soriano is just fucking dumb. I'm dead serious. He is super talented, athletic, fast, strong, but he is a grade A dumbass.

I do agree with Clapp though, I think he cares and does the best that he can, he is just stupid. If he had smarts and confidence to match his talent, I honestly think he would be the best player on the planet.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bingo, it's all that he's just a complete dumbass. He cares though.

Are there some good dumbass anecdotes? I'm curious why he's viewed as stupid.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->cst_cubs

Guzman shut down with shoulder discomfort. Team hopes short term and minor. Not sched for dr. for now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=80666:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->cst_cubs

Guzman shut down with shoulder discomfort. Team hopes short term and minor. Not sched for dr. for now.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Just incredible. That's why I was so hesitant to count on this guy and wanted them to get a legitimate 7th+ inning guy more than most people did.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=80668:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:32 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 25 2010, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80666:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->cst_cubs

Just incredible. That's why I was so hesitant to count on this guy and wanted them to get a legitimate 7th+ inning guy more than most people did.

Yeah, I think we still need one. I understand the "don't pay for relievers" arguments, but you at least have to have a couple consistent established guys. If Guzman has issues then we pretty much have Marmol and young question marks for right-handers.
<!--quoteo(post=80668:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 25 2010, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80666:date=Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 25 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->cst_cubs

Every time Lou is on the radio he claims that Hendry is still looking at trades for another BP arm. I have no problem with that.
Too bad Chan Ho is a FUCKING BITCH ASS YANKEE COCK.
<!--quoteo(post=80662:date=Feb 25 2010, 02:17 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 25 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People like to take shots at Soriano for being lazy and not giving effort and being a showboat, etc. etc.

This is easily my favorite post in the last month. Fantastic fella.
I didn't want Chan-Ho anyway.

If we could still swing a deal for Jason Frasor or Luke Greggerson, like was rumored, I would enjoy that though.
<!--quoteo(post=80674:date=Feb 25 2010, 02:52 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 25 2010, 02:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I didn't want Chan-Ho anyway.

If we could still swing a deal for Jason Frasor or Luke Greggerson, like was rumored, I would enjoy that though.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Add Scott Downs to that list for me.
<!--quoteo(post=80662:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:17 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 25 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People like to take shots at Soriano for being lazy and not giving effort and being a showboat, etc. etc.

I think the real reason is that Soriano is just fucking dumb. I'm dead serious. He is super talented, athletic, fast, strong, but he is a grade A dumbass.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like to call this "Devin Hester syndrome".
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
<!--quoteo(post=80686:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:55 PM:name=PcB)-->QUOTE (PcB @ Feb 25 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80662:date=Feb 25 2010, 01:17 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 25 2010, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->People like to take shots at Soriano for being lazy and not giving effort and being a showboat, etc. etc.

I think the real reason is that Soriano is just fucking dumb. I'm dead serious. He is super talented, athletic, fast, strong, but he is a grade A dumbass.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I like to call this "Devin Hester syndrome".
I don't know what you're talking about. Oh...

[Image: hestertweet.jpg]
@TheBlogfines
I agree with the comments below the post...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...world-news.html
<!--quoteo(post=80691:date=Feb 25 2010, 02:23 PM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Feb 25 2010, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I agree with the comments below the post...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...world-news.html<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's great... but he's about the dumbest person in sports. And yes, he's still my favorite NFL player.
@TheBlogfines