Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spring Training 2010
<!--quoteo(post=80403:date=Feb 23 2010, 08:29 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 23 2010, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I think Alf is making excuses because he knows that he's on the downside of his career. He knows he is really 43 years old and he needs that leg injury as an excuse to fall back on.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I would believe that Pujols is 43 before I believe that Alf is. Look, I'm not the biggest Alf fan in the world, but the guy has had 1 piss-poor half over the past 3 years in Chicago, and was clearly playing hurt. I'm not ready to call the end of his career yet.
Everyone is aware that the Soriano contract will look bad in the later years of the deal.
People are seeming to "jump ahead" to say I told you so.
We all know what will happen.
<!--quoteo(post=80413:date=Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Everyone is aware that the Soriano contract will look bad in the later years of the deal.
We all know what will happen.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bingo, and I still believe he has 2 good years left in him, provided that his legs don't completely give out. If given enough rest and allowed to settle into the 5 or 6 hole, he can still be a productive player for much of the remainder of his contract, but no one is arguing that his future isn't as a DH somewhere.
Ricketts met with the team for 30 minutes apparently. Wittenmyer said he seemed "amped". Kaplan adds: "Tom Ricketts has lengthy meeting with entire team, coaching staff, and front office. Tells everyone that the Cubs are now a family."
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=80413:date=Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Everyone is aware that the Soriano contract will look bad in the later years of the deal.

I hope you're not suggesting we shouldn't piss and moan about it simply because "we all know what will happen."
<!--quoteo(post=80432:date=Feb 23 2010, 12:57 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 23 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80413:date=Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Everyone is aware that the Soriano contract will look bad in the later years of the deal.

I hope you're not suggesting we shouldn't piss and moan about it simply because "we all know what will happen."
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No, but it would be nice to wait until it happens.
<!--quoteo(post=80436:date=Feb 23 2010, 12:36 PM:name=Coach)-->QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 23 2010, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80432:date=Feb 23 2010, 12:57 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 23 2010, 12:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80413:date=Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM:name=Coach)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Coach @ Feb 23 2010, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Everyone is aware that the Soriano contract will look bad in the later years of the deal.

No, but it would be nice to wait until it happens.

It may have been happening since last season.
And it may not have.
I thought the reason to complain about Soriano's contract was that we signed a 40-40 guy who never materialized. Whether his career is over or he's still a good player, he's never going to come close to that again, never did come particularly close to that, and we overpaid from the beginning.

Personally, I think he'll be pretty good for the next couple years... just not good enough to be worth close to what we're paying him.
<!--quoteo(post=80511:date=Feb 24 2010, 11:02 AM:name=Qalex1)-->QUOTE (Qalex1 @ Feb 24 2010, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I thought the reason to complain about Soriano's contract was that we signed a 40-40 guy who never materialized. Whether his career is over or he's still a good player, he's never going to come close to that again, never did come particularly close to that, and we overpaid from the beginning.

Personally, I think he'll be pretty good for the next couple years... just not good enough to be worth close to what we're paying him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons, I'm totally fine with Alf in LF and batting 5th or 6th. Anyone expecting a savior was nuts from the beginning.
<!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 11:12 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->...and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, as long as it doesn't do that.
<!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What about the past 2 seasons?
<!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who have we passed up aside from Peavy? I think signing people like Fuk and Bradley and overpaying for bench players and BP arms were as much to blame for payroll constraints as Alf was.
On a separate note Castro is continuing to garner rave reviews. David Shuster is covering ST for the Score down there and he said Castro is impressive. Also mentioned that the vibe he's getting from management is that they will NOT be rushing him to the bigs this year.
<!--quoteo(post=80537:date=Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Feb 24 2010, 01:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=80515:date=Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Feb 24 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->As long as he isn't wasting a roster spot and his contract doesn't restrict our ability to add other players in the next 2-3 seasons,<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're right. Soriano's contract prevented us from signing...oh wait...it didn't prevent us from doing shit. We still signed the Milton Bradley's...we even signed the Aaron Miles's's. We get it. You don't like Soriano or his contract. Don't force squares into round holes to try and prove some point that doesn't exist.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy