Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Reds
Why are so many folks picking the Reds as the surprise team of 2010? Did something happen between their 78-win 2009 team and now?
Aside from adding Chapman, who may start the year in the minors, I'm having a hard time understanding how their SP improved. Their lineup isn't that strong either. What am I missing?
Plus Dusty is their manager....he will run those pitchers into the ground. Hell, he has already done it with Volquez.
They have a decent rotation, and Votto should be available for the entire year (he had something like a nervous breakdown last year I think), but other than that, I don't know.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=77902:date=Jan 28 2010, 02:59 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jan 28 2010, 02:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->They have a decent rotation, and Votto should be available for the entire year (he had something like a nervous breakdown last year I think), but other than that, I don't know.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Bruce should be fully recovered too.

And I thought last year was their potential breakout year, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have a good year.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

The Reds were a number of folks darkhorse last year so might as well be this year's also.
If they sign Damon, and if Rolen is healthy, they could be OK. Not great - but OK.
Yeah there were many last year, including some here that predicted a break out season for the Reds in 09.

I still say the same thing I said then..... Every year someone claims this is the year the Reds break out and every year they suck so I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect them to suck as always.
<!--quoteo(post=77920:date=Jan 28 2010, 01:11 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 28 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah there were many last year, including some here that predicted a break out season for the Reds in 09.

I still say the same thing I said then..... Every year someone claims this is the year the Reds break out and every year they suck so I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect them to suck as always.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's weird how you can use the words Reds and Cubs interchangably in this post!
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=77921:date=Jan 28 2010, 02:17 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Jan 28 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=77920:date=Jan 28 2010, 01:11 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 28 2010, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah there were many last year, including some here that predicted a break out season for the Reds in 09.

I still say the same thing I said then..... Every year someone claims this is the year the Reds break out and every year they suck so I'll believe it when I see it. I fully expect them to suck as always.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's weird how you can use the words Reds and Cubs interchangably in this post!
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except for the fact that the Cubs have had 4 playoff appearances and 7 winning seasons in the past 12 years while the Reds have sucked.

Only the Pirates have a longer consecutive losing seasons streak.
They have lots of young talent.I doubt they can all put it together but you never know. Homer Bailey has #1 stuff and was great after his 2nd call-up last season. Arroyo and Harang are decent. Cueto and Volquez have spectacular stuff but haven't put a full season together yet. Stubbs is suppose to be a good leadoff hitter and a fantastic CF. Bruce is highly regarded should be healthy. Phillips is a great 2B. Votto is great and Rolen is decent. There only major holes are SS and LF. They could be great if everything falls their way.
Volquez and Cueto can't seem to stay healthy though, right? And Harang was used and abused so much by Dusty that he came very close to ruining his once solid career. Lots of big IFs for me. Too many actually, but they do have plenty of talent. I just don't think it's time yet.
<!--quoteo(post=77941:date=Jan 28 2010, 08:27 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Jan 28 2010, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Volquez and Cueto can't seem to stay healthy though, right? And Harang was used and abused so much by Dusty that he came very close to ruining his once solid career. Lots of big IFs for me. Too many actually, but they do have plenty of talent. I just don't think it's time yet.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Totally agree Rok. Injury issues, the manager, and the fact that they are so young definitely makes the Reds a big question mark. With health and luch, they could be great and if the injury bug comes back and some key young guys don't perform they could be terrible again. They are also in on Orlando Cabrera too, so they might close that hole at SS.
<!--quoteo(post=77920:date=Jan 28 2010, 02:11 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Jan 28 2010, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah there were many last year, including some here that predicted a break out season for the Reds in 09.

This.
@TheBlogfines
If Votto and Bruce play like they're expected to, and they have a whole year of Rolen, they'll have a good offense.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance