Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MLB TV or DirectTV Extra Innings?
Which would you guys choose? I have Extra Innings right now but I am thinking of switching due to price....opinions?
I've had both many times. Obviously price is a huge factor, but outside of that, it depends how much you're home(or if at work/school you could potentially sneak in games on your computer), how good your Internet connection is, how much you care about the non-Cubs games, etc. See, I love being able to watch all of the mlb games, especially the west coast ones at night, and I'm hardly ever going to get myself to sit on my computer and watch those games. Plus, it's nice to be able to flip through the games. Oh, and it's obviously easier to surf the net while having the game in front of you still on television(and in HD potentially as well).

Basically I think that if you just mainly care about the Cubs- MLB.TV
Baseball Nut- MLB EI
@TheBlogfines
I prefer MLB.TV simply because you get every single game all year with less strict blackout options and you can watch it anywhere. Plus its cheaper.
<!--quoteo(post=78771:date=Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I prefer MLB.TV simply because you get every single game all year with less strict blackout options and you can watch it anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's a very good point as well about the blackout restrictions, and it sucks they won't let you buy individual games anymore on mlb.tv with that in mind for Saturday games.

With the NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan package, you can also watch the games online... I wonder if DirecTV will ever let you do that with the EI package.
@TheBlogfines
I am a stay at home dad so I am home a lot. I watch as many games as I can because of all the fantasy baseball leagues I am in. I think I will stick with Extra Innings...however, I may call them and threaten to leave and see if they give me some kind of deal.
<!--quoteo(post=78772:date=Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78771:date=Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I prefer MLB.TV simply because you get every single game all year with less strict blackout options and you can watch it anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
That's a very good point as well about the blackout restrictions, and it sucks they won't let you buy individual games anymore on mlb.tv with that in mind for Saturday games.

With the NFL Sunday Ticket Superfan package, you can also watch the games online... I wonder if DirecTV will ever let you do that with the EI package.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, it's not a point at all. MLB.tv observes exactly the same blackout restrictions and in fact, it could be worse if you live in the Cubs blackout region. I can't watch Royals games on MLB.tv but I don't give a shit. If I lived in Cubs land, I'd be screwed.

There are ways that you can fudge things, if you have a variety of options for a billing address.
I don't like the way that MLB goes to nothing between innings.
At least DTV is like watching a regular game.
Plus I can Tivo it and watch them any time, or not if the cubs lost in spectacular fashion.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=78785:date=Feb 6 2010, 06:30 PM:name=MW4)-->QUOTE (MW4 @ Feb 6 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't like the way that MLB goes to nothing between innings.
Plus I can Tivo it and watch them any time, or not if the cubs lost in spectacular fashion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, MLB.tv was showing less and less nothing between innings as the season wore on. They're actively selling that time and I expect that trend to continue...good news for everyone that loves advertising.
I like to see what everyone else is seeing in that market.
MLB ads are kind of generic.
I'm originally from Chicago and seeing Giordano's ads is kind of cool.
Fat Bastard is an immensely obese, hardly able to walk (weighing a metric ton) gardener and henchman hailing from Scotland. His extreme size endows Fat Bastard with super-human strength as exhibited by his prowess in the Sumo ring from Goldmember. This makes him a formidable enemy for Austin Powers. Fat Bastard is noted for his foul temper, his frequent flatulence, his vulgar and revolting bad manners and his unusual eating habits, which include taste for Human infants (which he calls "the other other white meat") or anything that looks like a baby, e.g. small people. Fat Bastard has been a regular at Cub games since the early 80's when he tried several times (unsuccessfully) to eat the visiting San Diego Chicken.
<!--quoteo(post=78787:date=Feb 6 2010, 08:09 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 6 2010, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78785:date=Feb 6 2010, 06:30 PM:name=MW4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MW4 @ Feb 6 2010, 06:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't like the way that MLB goes to nothing between innings.
Plus I can Tivo it and watch them any time, or not if the cubs lost in spectacular fashion.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, MLB.tv was showing less and less nothing between innings as the season wore on. They're actively selling that time and I expect that trend to continue...good news for everyone that loves advertising.

Except they play the same annoying ads over and over. Hopefully they've expanded their ad sales this year. However, it is better than a couple years ago when all they showed were commercials for....MLB.tv....which seemed a bit pointless to me since they were trying to sell me something I already paid for [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko.gif[/img] .
<!--quoteo(post=78784:date=Feb 6 2010, 04:40 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 6 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78772:date=Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78771:date=Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I prefer MLB.TV simply because you get every single game all year with less strict blackout options and you can watch it anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, it's not a point at all. MLB.tv observes exactly the same blackout restrictions.

Not true

MLB.TV has a much smaller blackout window on Saturdays and no window at all except the Sunday night ESPN game on Sundays.

There were several games last year (pretty much every Saturday day game) that I got on MLB.TV that Clapp did not get on Extra innings.
Its also nice to get to see the Cubs broadcasters for every single game on MLB.TV. At least on cable Extra innings, usually you only get the home feed. I know DirecTV does dual feeds now too though but usually only for CSN games and not for WGN or WCIU.
<!--quoteo(post=78797:date=Feb 7 2010, 01:31 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 7 2010, 01:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78784:date=Feb 6 2010, 04:40 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Feb 6 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78772:date=Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Feb 6 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=78771:date=Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM:name=Fella)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 6 2010, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I prefer MLB.TV simply because you get every single game all year with less strict blackout options and you can watch it anywhere.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, it's not a point at all. MLB.tv observes exactly the same blackout restrictions.

Not true

MLB.TV has a much smaller blackout window on Saturdays and no window at all except the Sunday night ESPN game on Sundays.

There were several games last year (pretty much every Saturday day game) that I got on MLB.TV that Clapp did not get on Extra innings.

I have no idea what Extra Innings chooses to include or exclude but if you're billed within a given blackout area, there are no games that are subject to league blackout restrictions that you will be able to see on MLB.tv. I believe these restrictions includes the FOX Saturday blackout hours. I do not know if this includes ESPN's Sunday night. Extra innings may be excluding some games for reasons I know nothing about...some sort of contractual or discretionary thing...resulting in MLB.tv <i>having</i> more games than EI...but MLB.tv is still subject to the same league blackout restrictions.
<!--quoteo(post=78798:date=Feb 7 2010, 01:33 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 7 2010, 01:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Its also nice to get to see the Cubs broadcasters for every single game on MLB.TV. At least on cable Extra innings, usually you only get the home feed. I know DirecTV does dual feeds now too though but usually only for CSN games and not for WGN or WCIU.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it's really cool to be able to switch over and watch an inning or two called by the opposing team's broadcasters. I also like to watch random games, called by local rather than national broadcasters at times when the Cubs aren't playing.

The net result of this is my growing appreciation of Len and Bob as the best twosome calling games today. There are some really, really shitty broadcasters calling major league games these days.
<!--quoteo(post=78798:date=Feb 7 2010, 02:33 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Feb 7 2010, 02:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Its also nice to get to see the Cubs broadcasters for every single game on MLB.TV. At least on cable Extra innings, usually you only get the home feed. I know DirecTV does dual feeds now too though but usually only for CSN games and not for WGN or WCIU.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Great point. I hate being stuck with moronic broadcasters.