Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cubs All-Decade Team
I'm watching the replay from the Cubs-Indians game and the Muskrat is on, discussing her All-Decade Team.

C Michael Barrett
1B Derrek Lee
2B Mark Grudzielanek
SS Ryan Theriot
3B Aramis Ramirez
OF Moises Alou
OF Alfonso Soriano
OF Sammy Sosa
SP Jon Lieber
SP Carlos Zambrano
SP Ted Lilly
SP Kerry Wood
SP Mark Prior
SU Carlos Marmol
CL Ryan Dempster
MGR Lou Piniella

Really, it's a pretty sad list, but it looks about right to me. Obviously Lee, Ramirez, Sosa, Zambrano, and Wood are givens. Tough to argue with Barrett, Theriot, Alou, Lieber, Prior, Marmol, and Dempster (in some cases, just because of a lack of competition). Grudz seems like a stretch, but again, there isn't must competition there at all. Is there anyone missing here?
The thing you need to remember is that all Cardinals fans and all White Sox fans are very bad people. It's a fact that has been scientifically proven beyond a shadow of a doubt. Being a Cubs fan is the only path to rightousness and piousness. Cardinal and White Sox fans exist to be the dark, diabolical forces that oppose us. They are the yin to our yang, the Joker to our Batman, the demon to our angel, the insurgence to our freedom, the oil to our water, the club to our baby seal. Their happiness occurs only in direct conflict with everything that is pure and good in this world.
-Dirk
I think I'd have to go with Todd Walker at 2B. He had some very nice seasons for us.

I think you could make an argument for Alex Gonzalez over Theriot too because of his glove and power but considering he is most remembered for the infamous error, I think Theriot would probably make most people's lists over him.

I hated Dempster as a closer, he was mediocre at best, but there really isn't anyone else that was closer for longer than 1 season. Borowski and Gordon had 1 good season each, after that its pretty bleh.

The rest are tough to argue with.
I think Id throw DeRosa there instead of Grudz or Walker. I don't think if any of them played more than two seasons with the club, but DeRosa had a great run when he was here
That list makes me sad and embarrassed.
Grudz was great the two years he was here. I don't have a problem with him....except DeRosa was better.
Wang.
9 out of the 16 spots (if you include manager) are on the current team.

I'm not sure if that is significant or not. Just an observation.
Record aside, Clement had slightly better seasons with the Cubs than Lieber.
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Lous hasn't done anything to belong on that list. I'd say Dusty should be the guy- he's the one that ended the culture of losing.
<!--quoteo(post=84125:date=Mar 23 2010, 12:13 PM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Mar 23 2010, 12:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lous hasn't done anything to belong on that list. I'd say Dusty should be the guy- he's the one that ended the culture of losing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We also won some playoff games with Dusty -- which we haven't done with Lou.
<!--quoteo(post=84125:date=Mar 23 2010, 11:13 AM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Mar 23 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lous hasn't done anything to belong on that list. I'd say Dusty should be the guy- he's the one that ended the culture of losing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou's record as manager:

265-219(.548 winning %)

Dusty's record as manager:

322-326(.497 winning %)

Lou has 2 division titles in 3 years, Dusty had 1 in 4.

Lou has 3 winning seasons in 3 years, Dusty had 2 in 4.

We had a 97-win team with Lou.

If not for injuries and crappy performance by a few guys, Lou probably goes to the playoffs last year as well.

The reason Dusty's team went far into the 2003 playoffs was because of an insane rotation that was on fire at the time. That's what wins in the playoffs.

You can also argue Dusty destroyed young arms of ours, especially Mark Prior's.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=84127:date=Mar 23 2010, 12:24 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 23 2010, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=84125:date=Mar 23 2010, 11:13 AM:name=The Dude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The Dude @ Mar 23 2010, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lous hasn't done anything to belong on that list. I'd say Dusty should be the guy- he's the one that ended the culture of losing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lou's record as manager:

265-219(.548 winning %)

Dusty's record as manager:

322-326(.497 winning %)

Lou has 2 division titles in 3 years, Dusty had 1 in 4.

Lou has 3 winning seasons in 3 years, Dusty had 2 in 4.

We had a 97-win team with Lou.

If not for injuries and crappy performance by a few guys, Lou probably goes to the playoffs last year as well.

The reason Dusty's team went far into the 2003 playoffs was because of an insane rotation that was on fire at the time. That's what wins in the playoffs.

You can also argue Dusty destroyed young arms of ours, especially Mark Prior's.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clapp, and therefore Lou, wins.
Wang.
I'm not a huge fan of Lou, but he is a better manager than Dusty, period. Dusty was lucky enough to have a once in a lifetime rotation, which he helped destroy.
Lou is old school, but I do like that he's open to new ideas and ways of thinking, whereas Dusty was set on his "walks clog the basepaths" type of shit.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=84134:date=Mar 23 2010, 12:51 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Mar 23 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Lou is old school, but I do like that he's open to new ideas and ways of thinking, whereas Dusty was set on his "walks clog the basepaths" type of shit.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, Lou at least has admitted when he's been wrong. To my knowledge, Dusty has never acknowledged ever making a mistake, nor when one of his players has either.
I hate Lou and I hate Baker.