Poll: National League West
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Dodgers
29.17%
14 29.17%
Rockies
31.25%
15 31.25%
Giants
27.08%
13 27.08%
Diamondbacks
12.50%
6 12.50%
Padres
0%
0 0%
Total 48 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
National League Division Winner Predictions
<!--quoteo(post=85854:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lee can be replaced by Nady, Ramirez can be bandaged with Baker/Tracy, and we actually have two decent MLB ready offensive catchers to take some of Soto's ABs if needed in Clevenger and Chirinos. Marmol I disagree on, but that's mostly my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me there.

Believe it or not, we're not in bad shape if we lose a guy or two for a bit to injury. I can't say the same for the Cardinals when they have 28 year old minor leaguers for depth.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Not a Wellington fan at catcher?

Well, for one thing he's not major league ready. For another, I am very down on him. The only things he really has going for him is a strong arm and intermittent power. He has terrible plate discipline, does not make very much contact on the ball, and is not a very good defender. I think he could be yanked off of the 40 man roster before the end of this year. He's only just turning 23 though, so it maybe it's too soon to make such a move.
<!--quoteo(post=85872:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85854:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Lee can be replaced by Nady, Ramirez can be bandaged with Baker/Tracy, and we actually have two decent MLB ready offensive catchers to take some of Soto's ABs if needed in Clevenger and Chirinos. Marmol I disagree on, but that's mostly my opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me there.

Believe it or not, we're not in bad shape if we lose a guy or two for a bit to injury. I can't say the same for the Cardinals when they have 28 year old minor leaguers for depth.

Well, for one thing he's not major league ready. For another, I am very down on him. The only things he really has going for him is a strong arm and intermittent power. He has terrible plate discipline, does not make very much contact on the ball, and is not a very good defender. I think he could be yanked off of the 40 man roster before the end of this year. He's only just turning 23 though, so it maybe it's too soon to make such a move.
Well looking at there stats...they all look blah.

This Robinson Chirinos guy you like is turning 26, and in his career has only played 92 in AA while hitting just .239 in those games with 2 measly bombs. He had a great 2009 with 11 homers and 47 rbi in 69 games in Daytona, with an OBP of .400. But at almost 26, and only having success in A ball, I doubt he will ever amount to anything.

Steve Clevenger put up subpar Koyie Hill numbers in AAA and only threw out 20% of runners. Blah, I wouldn't call that MLB ready.

Wellington Castillo had similar production to Chirinos, with a lot smaller of an average and OBP. He's three years younger and snagged 44% of runners.

I see what you're saying. Chirinos had the best year, but I need to see him put up the same numbers at AA and AAA for me to be convinced he's worth anything. I just have little hope in the system at all looking at those numbers. Then again, Soto was a late bloomer, so who knows. I think if Soto goes down, we're fucked.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers
SONS OF IVY

Is this really the FRIENDLY CONFINES?
<!--quoteo(post=85956:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Anna2010)-->QUOTE (Anna2010 @ Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh god...realignment again?
<!--quoteo(post=85881:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:47 AM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 5 2010, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85872:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85854:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This Robinson Chirinos guy you like is turning 26, and in his career has only played 92 in AA while hitting just .239 in those games with 2 measly bombs. He had a great 2009 with 11 homers and 47 rbi in 69 games in Daytona, with an OBP of .400. But at almost 26, and only having success in A ball, I doubt he will ever amount to anything.

Steve Clevenger put up subpar Koyie Hill numbers in AAA and only threw out 20% of runners. Blah, I wouldn't call that MLB ready.

Wellington Castillo had similar production to Chirinos, with a lot smaller of an average and OBP. He's three years younger and snagged 44% of runners.

I see what you're saying. Chirinos had the best year, but I need to see him put up the same numbers at AA and AAA for me to be convinced he's worth anything. I just have little hope in the system at all looking at those numbers. Then again, Soto was a late bloomer, so who knows. I think if Soto goes down, we're fucked.

Chirinos and Clevenger are infielders that have converted to catcher. It's a big reason Chirinos particularly hasn't played in the upper levels yet. However, he's the best defensively of those guys now and he has very good plate discipline.

Clevenger has always hit and the only question mark has been his arm and fielding. His fielding has gotten much better and has surpassed Castillo's. The 20% pickoff rate is telling on his progress his arm has made. Still, I think he would be a very serviceable callup and would complement Hill very well.
<!--quoteo(post=85957:date=Apr 5 2010, 10:44 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 5 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85956:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Anna2010)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anna2010 @ Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/nonono.gif[/img]
<!--quoteo(post=85961:date=Apr 5 2010, 10:51 AM:name=Scarey)-->QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 5 2010, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85881:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:47 AM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 5 2010, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85872:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:53 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85854:date=Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM:name=Destined)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 4 2010, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85848:date=Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM:name=Scarey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scarey @ Apr 4 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85780:date=Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM:name=Clapp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 4 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->we don't have the ability to replace a Lee, Ramirez, Marmol, or Soto either.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chirinos and Clevenger are infielders that have converted to catcher. It's a big reason Chirinos particularly hasn't played in the upper levels yet. However, he's the best defensively of those guys now and he has very good plate discipline.

Clevenger has always hit and the only question mark has been his arm and fielding. His fielding has gotten much better and has surpassed Castillo's. The 20% pickoff rate is telling on his progress his arm has made. Still, I think he would be a very serviceable callup and would complement Hill very well.
We'll see. It could be worse, I just would rather not lose Soto for a prolonged period of time.
<!--quoteo(post=85957:date=Apr 5 2010, 01:44 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 5 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85956:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Anna2010)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anna2010 @ Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not just due away with the divisions and just have the top 4 teams at the end of the season be in the playoffs?
SONS OF IVY

<!--quoteo(post=85968:date=Apr 5 2010, 10:57 AM:name=Anna2010)-->QUOTE (Anna2010 @ Apr 5 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85957:date=Apr 5 2010, 01:44 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 5 2010, 01:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=85956:date=Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM:name=Anna2010)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Anna2010 @ Apr 5 2010, 12:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Cubs/Phillies/Dodgers<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why not just due away with the divisions and just have the top 4 teams at the end of the season be in the playoffs?
Call this...the "Due Thread."
Or we could just have 2 divisions with East vs West
SONS OF IVY

<!--quoteo(post=85976:date=Apr 5 2010, 01:07 PM:name=Anna2010)-->QUOTE (Anna2010 @ Apr 5 2010, 01:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Or we could just have 2 divisions with East vs West<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wonder what that would be like.
Rolen all over Carpenter's face.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

Can I change my selection for the Central?
One dick can poke an eye out. A hundred dicks can move mountains.
--Veryzer

Brad Penny looks damn good. Shocking.
@TheBlogfines
<!--quoteo(post=86976:date=Apr 8 2010, 12:51 PM:name=Clapp)-->QUOTE (Clapp @ Apr 8 2010, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Brad Penny looks damn good. Shocking.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
No surprises. As soon as they signed him I thought it would be a great pickup for them.

The Cardinals are going to coast into the playoffs.