Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
So I was just listening to Dave Kaplan on the radio, and he was talking about a blog post he made looking at Z's numbers since the 2008 ASB. He was saying that of the 106 pitchers who have made 30+ starts since then, Zambrano's numbers in most major categories rank very poorly. I don't remember exactly, but in terms of ERA, IP, and Wins, he ranks somewhere between 60-70th out of 106, and in terms of BB/9 he ranks 100th. The point being, that over the last season and a half or so, not only has he not been an ace, but he has been somewhat atrocious. Can he turn things around, or was this another bad Hendry contract?
He needs to start eating more donuts, typing for hours on the computer, and playing soccer on off-days. The new and improved Z sucks.
He's just not a #1 pitcher. He never has been, he never will be.

He's a good pitcher, but a #2 at best.

And that is what this team is sorely missing—a leader at the top of the rotation that can take the fuckin' ball and get the win.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
Bad.
"I'm not sure I know what ball cheese or crotch rot is, exactly -- or if there is a difference between the two. Don't post photos, please..."

- Butcher
He has declined, every year.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Z has finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young voting three times, so to say he's <i>never</i> been ace material is misleading.

I think it's possible/likely that he has a good year. But I don't think he'll be a Cy candidate, and we could certainly use one.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=86897:date=Apr 8 2010, 01:38 AM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 8 2010, 01:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Z has finished in the top 5 of the Cy Young voting three times, so to say he's <i>never</i> been ace material is misleading.

I think it's possible/likely that he has a good year. But I don't think he'll be a Cy candidate, and we could certainly use one.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But an ace isn't just someone who can put up numbers and/or rank in Cy Young voting.

An ace is someone who is also the leader of the pitching staff; someone who can exceed in high pressure situations.

Zambrano can't do that.

I honestly think we have a pretty solid rotation, but we are sorely missing that ace. If we found one, we'd be tough to hit against.
"Last year, I was sort of a kid and I was a little scared, I ain't scared any more."
Quote:- Hank Aaron
Zambrano does pitch well in high pressure situations. Neither of his playoff starts was bad, in fact one was real good. Plus he threw a no-hitter, which is about as high pressure as it gets.
Wang.
Yeah, he drives me nuts from time to time, but it isn't Z's fault that he is one of the highest paid SP in the game and that he is asked to be the ace. Everyone was more than happy with him when Wood and Prior were around. The minute they were no longer in the rotation, people's expectations became ridiculously, unattainably high. Z is a fine #2, even with all the crazy that comes with him.
Teddy will save us.
It's easy to back up whatever argument you want to make when you pick and choose the stats you're going to use.

He had a bad year last year so of course those numbers are going to place him at the bottom half of all those pitchers.

He may not be an ace but he's capable of it and we need him to act like one if we want to go anywhere.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->So I was just listening to Dave Kaplan<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Your first mistake.
I actually kinda like Kap even though he can be an acehole sometimes.
I thought his show was taken off the air on WGN. Is he doing post-game stuff now?
I don't mind Kaplan. I do mind cherry picking stats and pretending they mean something more than "Zambrano had a subpar 2009". Although I think (and my math could be way off since I spent 30 seconds researching this) the Cubs went 18-10 in games started by Zambrano last year.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.