Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soriano
<!--quoteo(post=94379:date=May 3 2010, 10:41 AM:name=biggz)-->QUOTE (biggz @ May 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Like still watching his flyballs from the batter's box? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

The only difference between now and early in the season is he is on a hot streak.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only difference in the Cubs team this weekend and early in the season is that they took 3 of 4 from a mediocre team. If they continue winning 3/4 of the rest of the season, they'll run away with the division. If they continue to win at that pace through the playoffs, they'll win the World Series. Unfortunately, they'll still be the same team but no one will give a rat's ass because they won.

If Soriano was on the hot streak earlier in the year, no one would be talking about his terrible defense or stupid hop.
<!--quoteo(post=94404:date=May 3 2010, 01:04 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 3 2010, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94379:date=May 3 2010, 10:41 AM:name=biggz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggz @ May 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Like still watching his flyballs from the batter's box? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

The only difference between now and early in the season is he is on a hot streak.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only difference in the Cubs team this weekend and early in the season is that they took 3 of 4 from a mediocre team. If they continue winning 3/4 of the rest of the season, they'll run away with the division. If they continue to win at that pace through the playoffs, they'll win the World Series. Unfortunately, they'll still be the same team but no one will give a rat's ass because they won.

If Soriano was on the hot streak earlier in the year, no one would be talking about his terrible defense or stupid hop.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Precisely.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." - George Carlin 

"That was some of the saddest stuff I've ever read. Fuck cancer and AIDS, ignorance is the scourge of the land." - tom v

<!--quoteo(post=94404:date=May 3 2010, 02:04 PM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 3 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94379:date=May 3 2010, 10:41 AM:name=biggz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggz @ May 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Like still watching his flyballs from the batter's box? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

People are just more focused on his offense right now, and justifiably so. But, at best, his dumb ass hop and his admiring fly balls like he just painted the Mona Lisa are tradeoffs. If he's knocking in 10 runs in the last 3 games and hitting every other pitch out of the park, it's easy to look past the other crap. It's still not ideal though. Ideally he just wouldn't do all those other things that piss people off.
<!--quoteo(post=94408:date=May 3 2010, 01:25 PM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ May 3 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94404:date=May 3 2010, 02:04 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 3 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94379:date=May 3 2010, 10:41 AM:name=biggz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggz @ May 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Like still watching his flyballs from the batter's box? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

People are just more focused on his offense right now, and justifiably so. But, at best, his dumb ass hop and his admiring fly balls like he just painted the Mona Lisa are tradeoffs. If he's knocking in 10 runs in the last 3 games and hitting every other pitch out of the park, it's easy to look past the other crap. It's still not ideal though. Ideally he just wouldn't do all those other things that piss people off.

Bingo.
Wang.
[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh.gif[/img] <!--quoteo(post=94385:date=May 3 2010, 09:53 AM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ May 3 2010, 09:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94338:date=May 3 2010, 02:46 AM:name=bz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bz @ May 3 2010, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And I quote, "doesn't belong on a major league roster."

Hence why I'm a dick.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Dickhead. Get it straight.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=94416:date=May 3 2010, 03:19 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 3 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94408:date=May 3 2010, 01:25 PM:name=Dirk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirk @ May 3 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94404:date=May 3 2010, 02:04 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 3 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94379:date=May 3 2010, 10:41 AM:name=biggz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggz @ May 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Like still watching his flyballs from the batter's box? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Bingo.
Doesn't that defeat what you've been saying though? I mean, I think everyone can get behind the fact that the boos have nothing to do with how he's hitting now. If you think the boos did anything, it would be to get him to stop doing shit like the hop and watching long fly balls, right? If he's still doing those same things, and they're just not being noticed because of how he's hitting, then doesn't that mean the boos did nothing?
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=94419:date=May 3 2010, 02:22 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ May 3 2010, 02:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94416:date=May 3 2010, 03:19 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 3 2010, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94408:date=May 3 2010, 01:25 PM:name=Dirk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirk @ May 3 2010, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94404:date=May 3 2010, 02:04 PM:name=1060Ivy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1060Ivy @ May 3 2010, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94379:date=May 3 2010, 10:41 AM:name=biggz)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (biggz @ May 3 2010, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Like still watching his flyballs from the batter's box? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink.gif[/img]

Bingo.
Doesn't that defeat what you've been saying though? I mean, I think everyone can get behind the fact that the boos have nothing to do with how he's hitting now. If you think the boos did anything, it would be to get him to stop doing shit like the hop and watching long fly balls, right? If he's still doing those same things, and they're just not being noticed because of how he's hitting, then doesn't that mean the boos did nothing?

Honestly, I have no idea if the boos help or not. It was never really my point. I only brought up the fact that Soriano started changing things after the booing, to play devil's advocate. Soriano is never going to change. The booing if anything, forced him to at least acknowledge what he was doing. I think he actually changed for a game.

My point is, and has always been, that Soriano deserved to be booed. And he did. If you aren't going to hit, then at the very least you need to catch a routine fly. You need to pick a ball off the ground cleanly. You have to hustle on every hit. If not, you will get booed. And you will deserve it.

Whether booing helps or not is irrelevant to me. People express their frustrations in different ways in different situations. Most of us don't get the opportunity to tell a guy he sucks in the restroom of a sporting event. So they boo at the game. I really don't think they're doing it because they think it's going to change the player, they're doing it because sitting and politely applauding doesn't fit. It doesn't convey what they're feeling. They're frustrated and they want the world to know. It's a perfectly normal reaction. One that's been going on since the beginning of sports. When you stub your toe, you scream "Motherfucker!" You don't do it because you think it's going to make your toe better, you do it because you're in pain, because you're frustrated. That's life. That's what we do.

Soriano was getting booed. He didn't like it. He needed to change those boos to cheers. Now he's hitting. If he keeps up this pace for another week or two, people won't boo him the next time he drops a fly ball. Fans want something positive from him. If he isn't going to hit, he needs to do the other things. If he isn't going to do the other things, then he needs to hit.

Soriano deserved to be booed. Now he doesn't. It really doesn't get much simpler than that. Fortunatley, HE didn't cry when the fans booed. Just you guys.
Wang.
That's poor logic Tom. Because he was booed he performed better? I think not.

Just because "it's what they do" doesn't mean it's right.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
Tom, I don't totally disagree with what you are saying. I just think the booing of Soriano went a lot deeper than "hey, that was a bad play". Booing him when he drops it makes sense. Standing ovations when Lou comes out of the dugout to pull him in the middle of an inning because of a double switch, and booing him mercilessly as he has to come in from the outfield goes from saying "Hey, I'm disappointed in your play" to "Fuck you you cocksucker, I hope you die".

I'm OK with booing. I'm really uncomfortable with treating a Cubs player like he is a Cardinal or White Sock.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=94444:date=May 3 2010, 03:41 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ May 3 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tom, I don't totally disagree with what you are saying. I just think the booing of Soriano went a lot deeper than "hey, that was a bad play". Booing him when he drops it makes sense. Standing ovations when Lou comes out of the dugout to pull him in the middle of an inning because of a double switch, and booing him mercilessly as he has to come in from the outfield goes from saying "Hey, I'm disappointed in your play" to "Fuck you you cocksucker, I hope you die".

I'm OK with booing. I'm really uncomfortable with treating a Cubs player like he is a Cardinal or White Sock.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I will boo total boneheadedness or lack of hustle. I will never boo trying and failing.
I never liked booing...never understood it.

If I don't like something...I simply don't cheer. Silence is pretty effective, too.
<!--quoteo(post=94450:date=May 3 2010, 05:01 PM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ May 3 2010, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I never liked booing...never understood it.

If I don't like something...I simply don't cheer. Silence is pretty effective, too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Why would you cheer a boneheaded play anyway? Or are you saying you wouldn't cheer if he did something good? Because that doesn't make sense.

And bz totally missed the point.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=94444:date=May 3 2010, 03:41 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ May 3 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tom, I don't totally disagree with what you are saying. I just think the booing of Soriano went a lot deeper than "hey, that was a bad play". Booing him when he drops it makes sense. Standing ovations when Lou comes out of the dugout to pull him in the middle of an inning because of a double switch, and booing him mercilessly as he has to come in from the outfield goes from saying "Hey, I'm disappointed in your play" to "Fuck you you cocksucker, I hope you die".

I'm OK with booing. I'm really uncomfortable with treating a Cubs player like he is a Cardinal or White Sock.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, I can get that too. The difference is, I put it on the player to make it stop and you put it on the fan.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=94445:date=May 3 2010, 03:45 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ May 3 2010, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94444:date=May 3 2010, 03:41 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 3 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tom, I don't totally disagree with what you are saying. I just think the booing of Soriano went a lot deeper than "hey, that was a bad play". Booing him when he drops it makes sense. Standing ovations when Lou comes out of the dugout to pull him in the middle of an inning because of a double switch, and booing him mercilessly as he has to come in from the outfield goes from saying "Hey, I'm disappointed in your play" to "Fuck you you cocksucker, I hope you die".

I will boo total boneheadedness or lack of hustle. I will never boo trying and failing.

I totally agree with that.
<!--quoteo(post=94465:date=May 3 2010, 03:44 PM:name=stevestonescigar)-->QUOTE (stevestonescigar @ May 3 2010, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94445:date=May 3 2010, 03:45 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ May 3 2010, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=94444:date=May 3 2010, 03:41 PM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ May 3 2010, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Tom, I don't totally disagree with what you are saying. I just think the booing of Soriano went a lot deeper than "hey, that was a bad play". Booing him when he drops it makes sense. Standing ovations when Lou comes out of the dugout to pull him in the middle of an inning because of a double switch, and booing him mercilessly as he has to come in from the outfield goes from saying "Hey, I'm disappointed in your play" to "Fuck you you cocksucker, I hope you die".

I totally agree with that.
Add me in.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.