Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soriano
Pretty balanced view on Soriano situation sad that it's not from a Chicago paper

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/sports/b...oriano.html?hpw
<!--quoteo(post=90497:date=Apr 18 2010, 10:29 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 18 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=90460:date=Apr 17 2010, 06:02 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Apr 17 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89793:date=Apr 16 2010, 09:03 AM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Apr 16 2010, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88777:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:03 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 14 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano got booed at the Home Opener when they were introducing each member of the team individually. That is fucking retarded and Cubs fans have become a retarded bunch. Just sit at the park and listen to some of the conversations going on around you, there's stupidity flowing from all over the place. It is embarassing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had people behind me making fun of DLee calling him DL Lee and saying how he can't stay on the field...I didn't even bother contradicting them.

This same person when on to tell me that chad olsen has only played two seasons for the Bears and don't argue Bears with him because he knows the Bears...
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This captures the mindset...they boo because it's fun. They lie because it makes them feel better about themselves. They decide who has "the right to be booed", and who doesn't...

Our society is so enamored with the idea of blame. We love to find the epicenter...build a scapegoat. It's ridiculous. A lot of chest thumping about being right, and no interest in facts...

Tired.

Yeah, I hate it when people blame others for problems, but never take a look at themselves. You're right about that.

One of my fantasies (and they get harder and harder to have at my age) is to see a sumo wrestling match between Rapp and Veryzer. I get wood every time I imagine either of them in the sumo g-string. The match would be awesome.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
I like this thread.
What if we trade Alfonso for Rafael?
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
<!--quoteo(post=90504:date=Apr 18 2010, 10:33 AM:name=1060Ivy)-->QUOTE (1060Ivy @ Apr 18 2010, 10:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Pretty balanced view on Soriano situation sad that it's not from a Chicago paper

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/18/sports/b...oriano.html?hpw<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is from a Chicago writer though. Dan McGrath was the sports editor for the Tribune for quite a while ( I think), before getting the boot.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=90786:date=Apr 18 2010, 09:55 PM:name=Coldneck)-->QUOTE (Coldneck @ Apr 18 2010, 09:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I like this thread.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's cause you're a clown ass.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=90785:date=Apr 18 2010, 09:41 PM:name=Lance)-->QUOTE (Lance @ Apr 18 2010, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=90497:date=Apr 18 2010, 10:29 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 18 2010, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=90460:date=Apr 17 2010, 06:02 PM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Apr 17 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=89793:date=Apr 16 2010, 09:03 AM:name=phan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phan @ Apr 16 2010, 09:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88777:date=Apr 14 2010, 08:03 AM:name=ruby23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 14 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano got booed at the Home Opener when they were introducing each member of the team individually. That is fucking retarded and Cubs fans have become a retarded bunch. Just sit at the park and listen to some of the conversations going on around you, there's stupidity flowing from all over the place. It is embarassing.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had people behind me making fun of DLee calling him DL Lee and saying how he can't stay on the field...I didn't even bother contradicting them.

This same person when on to tell me that chad olsen has only played two seasons for the Bears and don't argue Bears with him because he knows the Bears...

This captures the mindset...they boo because it's fun. They lie because it makes them feel better about themselves. They decide who has "the right to be booed", and who doesn't...

Our society is so enamored with the idea of blame. We love to find the epicenter...build a scapegoat. It's ridiculous. A lot of chest thumping about being right, and no interest in facts...

Tired.

Yeah, I hate it when people blame others for problems, but never take a look at themselves. You're right about that.

One of my fantasies (and they get harder and harder to have at my age) is to see a sumo wrestling match between Rapp and Veryzer. I get wood every time I imagine either of them in the sumo g-string. The match would be awesome.

I'd give rapp a heart attack.
Wang.
Has this been mentioned yet?
Sheesh.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Piniella endorses Soriano's 'no-hop' policy
April 18, 2010
By Dave van Dyck

Cubs manager Lou Piniella heartily endorsed Alfonso Soriano's decision to scrap "the hop" while catching fly balls in left field.

"I would advocate something like that. Yes," Piniella said, laughing.

"We've talked about that in the past. All it can do is make your head bob and your eyes move and the ball flutter. It's like catching a knuckleball. So if you can keep stable and catch it conventionally, I think it will help him, I really do."

Soriano vowed to make the change from his patented hop after committing his third error in 11 games on Saturday.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=90869:date=Apr 19 2010, 01:49 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 19 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has this been mentioned yet?
Sheesh.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Piniella endorses Soriano's 'no-hop' policy
April 18, 2010
By Dave van Dyck

Cubs manager Lou Piniella heartily endorsed Alfonso Soriano's decision to scrap "the hop" while catching fly balls in left field.

"I would advocate something like that. Yes," Piniella said, laughing.

"We've talked about that in the past. All it can do is make your head bob and your eyes move and the ball flutter. It's like catching a knuckleball. So if you can keep stable and catch it conventionally, I think it will help him, I really do."

Soriano vowed to make the change from his patented hop after committing his third error in 11 games on Saturday.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your point is not obvious to me.
at least he's acknowledging that something needs to change.
<!--quoteo(post=90875:date=Apr 19 2010, 02:02 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 19 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=90869:date=Apr 19 2010, 01:49 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 19 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has this been mentioned yet?
Sheesh.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->...Soriano's decision to scrap "the hop"...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Your point is not obvious to me.
In plain language:
1. Like many Cub fans, I despise the hop, even in the best of times.
2. For Soriano, these are the worst of times.
3. Of all of his many negatives, his most obvious one lately has been his atrocious fielding, especially the dropping of lazy fly balls that you or me could easily catch.
4. As Lou mentions, the Hop actually makes it more difficult to catch a fly ball.
5. Alf concedes that his fielding has sucked so much that he's going to nix the Hop.
6. KB rejoices.
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
<!--quoteo(post=90913:date=Apr 19 2010, 03:37 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 19 2010, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=90875:date=Apr 19 2010, 02:02 PM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Apr 19 2010, 02:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=90869:date=Apr 19 2010, 01:49 PM:name=KBwsb)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KBwsb @ Apr 19 2010, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Has this been mentioned yet?
Sheesh.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->...Soriano's decision to scrap "the hop"...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Your point is not obvious to me.
In plain language:
1. Like many Cub fans, I despise the hop, even in the best of times.
2. For Soriano, these are the worst of times.
3. Of all of his many negatives, his most obvious one lately has been his atrocious fielding, especially the dropping of lazy fly balls that you or me could easily catch.
4. As Lou mentions, the Hop actually makes it more difficult to catch a fly ball.
5. Alf concedes that his fielding has sucked so stupendously that he's going to nix the Hop.
6. KB rejoices.

I would tend to agree but Alf is 67 years-old. For him to exert the concentration required to eliminate something that's become physically second-nature, could result in even worse fielding.

The hop is lame but I'm not convinced it's any part of the problem.
Hasn't he only been doing the hop since 08? I remember that's when the media started making a big deal about it anyway.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Brenly rips Cubs' Soriano for 'selfish attitude'
April 20, 2010 3:05 PM | 6 Comments
By Paul Sullivan

NEW YORK -- Cubs TV analyst ripped into Alfonso Soriano during an interview Tuesday on WSCR-AM 670, saying the left fielder displayed a "selfish attitude" and suggesting Soriano should've been yanked from Monday night's game after admiring a long fly ball instead of running hard out of the box.

It all began while discussing Ted Lilly's attempted steal during a rehab start in Peoria. Brenly then interjected: "Wouldn't it be refreshing if we could get our left-fielder to run as hard as Ted Lilly does?"

That remark led to a discussion on Soriano's second-inning at-bat, in which he turned a possible triple into a double by watching the ball at home plate before jogging toward first. Asked if he would've pulled Soriano if he were the Cubs' manager, Brenly said: "I wouldn't hesitate to do something like that. I think it sets a bad precedent to the team... and a bad message to the younger players."

As for Soriano's comment that the "important thing was I made a very good swing at the ball," Brenly said: "That's all true, but that's a very selfish attitude to take. This is about winning ballgames. It's not about how I can pile up my numbers or how cool I look when I hit a ball hard."

Brenly added that "for some reason, (Soriano) doesn't totally grasp that theory."

Asked if he would've benched Soriano, Brenly said he's not in the clubhouse, but added: "From what I've seen from the press box, I think it should've been done a long time ago."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=91296:date=Apr 20 2010, 03:53 PM:name=The Dude)-->QUOTE (The Dude @ Apr 20 2010, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Brenly rips Cubs' Soriano for 'selfish attitude'
April 20, 2010 3:05 PM | 6 Comments
By Paul Sullivan

NEW YORK -- Cubs TV analyst ripped into Alfonso Soriano during an interview Tuesday on WSCR-AM 670, saying the left fielder displayed a "selfish attitude" and suggesting Soriano should've been yanked from Monday night's game after admiring a long fly ball instead of running hard out of the box.

It all began while discussing Ted Lilly's attempted steal during a rehab start in Peoria. Brenly then interjected: "Wouldn't it be refreshing if we could get our left-fielder to run as hard as Ted Lilly does?"

That remark led to a discussion on Soriano's second-inning at-bat, in which he turned a possible triple into a double by watching the ball at home plate before jogging toward first. Asked if he would've pulled Soriano if he were the Cubs' manager, Brenly said: "I wouldn't hesitate to do something like that. I think it sets a bad precedent to the team... and a bad message to the younger players."

As for Soriano's comment that the "important thing was I made a very good swing at the ball," Brenly said: "That's all true, but that's a very selfish attitude to take. This is about winning ballgames. It's not about how I can pile up my numbers or how cool I look when I hit a ball hard."

Brenly added that "for some reason, (Soriano) doesn't totally grasp that theory."

Asked if he would've benched Soriano, Brenly said he's not in the clubhouse, but added: "From what I've seen from the press box, I think it should've been done a long time ago."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yikes.