Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soriano
<!--quoteo(post=88834:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:40 AM:name=Destined)-->QUOTE (Destined @ Apr 14 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This reminds me of the time I was on a train to San Diego to watch the Cubs & Padres. A guy asked me if Griffey was still playing with the Cubs.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Was he? What year was it?
<!--quoteo(post=88806:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88803:date=Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano is batting 6th today. Also, Gray to replace Caridad on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm a little surprised he didn't get another chance to settle down. We'll see how much longer Shark is around for now. He's next.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Didn't Caridad just have one bad outing? Seems a little knee-jerk to me.
<!--quoteo(post=88841:date=Apr 14 2010, 12:10 PM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Apr 14 2010, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88806:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88803:date=Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano is batting 6th today. Also, Gray to replace Caridad on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm a little surprised he didn't get another chance to settle down. We'll see how much longer Shark is around for now. He's next.
He had one shitty outing where he gave up 4 runs and blew the game and another so-so outing. I'm just a little surprised, given that he has been used so much and just about every situation he's been in has been high pressure.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->Piniella denies Cubs threatened to sit Soriano
April 14, 2010 11:44 AM | 3 Comments

By Paul Sullivan

Lou Piniella denied a report the Cubs have told Alfonso Soriano to produce or get benched, and launched into an impassioned defense of his defensively challenged left-fielder.

"It's not true," Piniella said of the Daily Herald report. "It couldn't be further from the truth. They're all going to play. I've got five good outfielders. I can't sit two of them and just play three. That we're not going to do. But at the same time, all I said, basically was be patient with me and I'm going to have to take one of them out of the lineup occasionally to get somebody some at-bats."

"Now, down the road, when we get into this thing, obviously, the guys that are doing the best are the guys that should get more at-bats. When I played, that's the way it was. I think it'll be that way 20 years from now."

Few believe Piniella would sit Soriano for any extended period because of Soriano's $136 million contract, which runs through 2014.

"Guys that are making money are making that money because they've had really, really nice careers and they've been successful," Piniella said. "But I don't like living in the past. And I don't like living in the future. I like living in the present."

Soriano has acknowledged his fear of running into outfield walls, which causes him to be tentative with fly balls near the wall or the line. He's also hitting only .200, though the team itself is batting only .233, so he's not alone.

Still, Soriano is getting hit hard by the fans at Wrigley Field, and is trying not to be affected by the criticism.

"This young man takes a lot of pride in what he does," Piniella said. "I mean, he works hard, he wants to do good. Nobody wants to drop a fly ball, believe me. (Mike) Quade works with him every day.

"Look at him -- he's working. That's all you can expect. He'll get better. Look, I love this guy to death. I really do. I still take him out for defense with leads, but I want to see 'Sori' do good. He's a good young man, he works hard. He's had such a great career, and you want to see that continue."

Click here to sign up for breaking news, business and sports alerts.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--quoteo(post=88841:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:10 AM:name=Dirk)-->QUOTE (Dirk @ Apr 14 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88806:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88803:date=Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano is batting 6th today. Also, Gray to replace Caridad on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He was placed on the DL, not sent down. Right forearm tightness. and considering he has options and could have just been sent down, I doubt its a made up injury.
<!--quoteo(post=88849:date=Apr 14 2010, 10:25 AM:name=Fella)-->QUOTE (Fella @ Apr 14 2010, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88841:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:10 AM:name=Dirk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dirk @ Apr 14 2010, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88806:date=Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Apr 14 2010, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88803:date=Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM:name=ColoradoCub)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ColoradoCub @ Apr 14 2010, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Soriano is batting 6th today. Also, Gray to replace Caridad on the roster.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
He was placed on the DL, not sent down. Right forearm tightness. and considering he has options and could have just been sent down, I doubt its a made up injury.
This.
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Stupid conversations take place in every park in the country, not just Wrigley.

I don't condone booing rookies who've only pitched a couple games. I wouldn't condone booing Lee if he made an error. Soriano? He deserves it. Sorry.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=88853:date=Apr 14 2010, 12:42 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Stupid conversations take place in every park in the country, not just Wrigley.

I don't condone booing rookies who've only pitched a couple games. I wouldn't condone booing Lee if he made an error. Soriano? He deserves it. Sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
After doing something boneheaded? OK. When you step on the field, at home, for the first time of the season? That makes no sense.
<!--quoteo(post=88943:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:34 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 14 2010, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88853:date=Apr 14 2010, 12:42 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Stupid conversations take place in every park in the country, not just Wrigley.

I don't condone booing rookies who've only pitched a couple games. I wouldn't condone booing Lee if he made an error. Soriano? He deserves it. Sorry.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
After doing something boneheaded? OK. When you step on the field, at home, for the first time of the season? That makes no sense.

Yeah it does. He made the crucial error the game before. makes perfect sense.
Wang.
And he makes another error. Gosh golly, I hope no one boos him.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=88951:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:38 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And he makes another error. Gosh golly, I hope no one boos him.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Boo him for that, he deserves it.
He deserved it yesterday too.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=88958:date=Apr 14 2010, 03:45 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 03:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He deserved it yesterday too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
On the off day?
Did he boot the remote?
<!--quoteo(post=88958:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:45 PM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He deserved it yesterday too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I didn't like the way he ran out on the field, tipped his hat, and high-fived his teammates either. Good point.
<!--quoteo(post=88965:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:49 PM:name=ruby23)-->QUOTE (ruby23 @ Apr 14 2010, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=88958:date=Apr 14 2010, 02:45 PM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Apr 14 2010, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->He deserved it yesterday too.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeah, I didn't like the way he ran out on the field, tipped his hat, and high-fived his teammates either. Good point.

Ruby, you're smarter than that, but I'll explain it anyway. They were booing him from the game before. See? They weren't at that game because it was in Cincinnati. They were booing him because he's made a shitload of plays like that. They're tired of him not making routine plays. They're tired of him striking out on pitches in the dirt. They're tired of the fact he's one of the highest paid players in baseball and he makes the same mistakes over and over and over. BUT THEY COULDN'T BOO HIM SUNDAY BECAUSE THEY WERE ON THE ROAD, SO THEY BOOED HIM MONDAY INSTEAD. Surely you understand that.

And he deserved it.
Wang.