Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silva & Hendry
I don't think nearly enough credit has been given to Carlos Silva for his work thus far. The Cubs are 7-1 in games he's started and he's already had 6 quality starts.

By the same token, Hendry should be given a bit of praise for making this trade happen.

When the trade went through, I figured it wasn't horrible, but assumed we'd be sending Bradley off for nothing more than some money and a player we'd DFA and eat his contract. Silva has really surprised me thus far. It's starting to look like Hendry has made a very good trade.
I got nothin'.

Andy
I was mega-pissed when this trade went down. So far, I couldn't have been more incorrect.
Even if he sucks ass the rest of the season, it seems the trade would have been worth it.
<!--quoteo(post=97076:date=May 19 2010, 03:11 PM:name=Andy)-->QUOTE (Andy @ May 19 2010, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I don't think nearly enough credit has been given to Carlos Silva for his work thus far. The Cubs are 7-1 in games he's started and he's already had 6 quality starts.

By the same token, Hendry should be given a bit of praise for making this trade happen.

When the trade went through, I figured it wasn't horrible, but assumed we'd be sending Bradley off for nothing more than some money and a player we'd DFA and eat his contract. Silva has really surprised me thus far. It's starting to look like Hendry has made a very good trade.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See, I can't get past the fact that I assume Hendry thought the same thing. Happy accident sure...but he gets credit for what, luck? I'd find it easier to give Larry Rothschild credit.
He's already done more than I imagined and we know how MB has been in Seattle.

Hendry gets a win on this one.
The trade has been great, and even if Silva is shit for the remainder of his 2 years, it would be a win for Hendry. That said, I'm not ready to believe that Silva will continue to be solid from here on out. I hope he is, but it is too early to say. There is always the possibility that he pulls a Marquis in the 2nd half.

It's too bad that we are wasting so many good starts by players like Silva, Alf and Soto thus far and have such a mediocre record. So many positive stories, yet the few negatives are overshadowing everything.
<!--quoteo(post=97083:date=May 19 2010, 03:24 PM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ May 19 2010, 03:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The trade has been great, and even if Silva is shit for the remainder of his 2 years, it would be a win for Hendry. That said, I'm not ready to believe that Silva will continue to be solid from here on out. I hope he is, but it is too early to say. There is always the possibility that he pulls a Marquis in the 2nd half.

It's too bad that we are wasting so many good starts by players like Silva, Alf and Soto thus far and have such a mediocre record. So many positive stories, yet the few negatives are overshadowing everything.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Thank God the national media never talks about Soriano's contract.
This was a good deal simply for the fact that Bradley was jettisoned. That alone made this trade a success. The fact that Silva's been great is icing on the cake.

If we're gonna rip Hendry for seemingly good moves that don't pan out, then we have to credit him for seemingly bad moves that do.
Wang.
I'm about to add Silva to my fantasy team. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r.gif[/img]
<b>Thank God the national media never talks about Soriano's contract.</b><i></i>

Acutally, early on in the season (when Soriano wasn't hitting and made a couple aggregious erors), I read articles on several national websites talking about Soriano's immovable contract. Just saying... not going to go back and find the links, but they're there to be found.

The trade for Silva was predicated on the notion that he was deemed healthy again and doing winter work. I read that in a few articles at the time. With Silva at or near 100% and having a reputation for being friendly & coachable, it was a good deal. Now, of course, we see how good it was. Silva's going to give up hits, he's going to occasionally walk guys, but with decent defense behind him he's a quality starter. We're the recipients of perhaps his best string of starts ever... and there's no reason to think he won't continue to be effective. If he even goes .500 from here on out and doesn't get injured, he'll be a 15 game winner. Great trade by JH!
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein
I was totally wrong about the trade, and even if Silva starts to suck, it was a win for Hendry.

Signing Bradley in the first place and being forced to dump him in a deal for Silva, however...
Cubs News and Rumors at Bleacher Nation.
<!--quoteo(post=97261:date=May 20 2010, 06:34 AM:name=Ace)-->QUOTE (Ace @ May 20 2010, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was totally wrong about the trade, and even if Silva starts to suck, it was a win for Hendry.

Signing Bradley in the first place and being forced to dump him in a deal for Silva, however...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I don't think a single person here has ever disputed that. But credit has to be given for turning something bad into something good.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=97263:date=May 20 2010, 06:56 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ May 20 2010, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97261:date=May 20 2010, 06:34 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 20 2010, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was totally wrong about the trade, and even if Silva starts to suck, it was a win for Hendry.

Signing Bradley in the first place and being forced to dump him in a deal for Silva, however...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I don't think a single person here has ever disputed that. But credit has to be given for turning something bad into something good.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Credit also has to be given to people that pick winning Powerball numbers.
<!--quoteo(post=97266:date=May 20 2010, 07:02 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ May 20 2010, 07:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97263:date=May 20 2010, 06:56 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ May 20 2010, 06:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=97261:date=May 20 2010, 06:34 AM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ May 20 2010, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->I was totally wrong about the trade, and even if Silva starts to suck, it was a win for Hendry.

Credit also has to be given to people that pick winning Powerball numbers.

I know you jest, but I never play, therefore I never win. I give credit those who do play though. Gotta be in it to win it, right?
Wang.
I won $7 on Powerball last night. I'm gonna blow it all on Snickers bars.