Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
Z's ERA in games 2-4 was 4.00 and his WHIP was 1.55 or 1.11 hit per inning and .44 BB per inning while his babip against was .391. So people hit him, he wasn't an Ace, but he wasn't terrible. In fact, for those three games he average a quality start.
If Angelo had picked McClellin, I would have been expecting to hear by training camp that kid has stage 4 cancer, is actually 5'2" 142 lbs, is a chick who played in a 7 - 0 defensive scheme who only rotated in on downs which were 3 and 34 yds + so is not expecting to play a down in the NFL until the sex change is complete and she puts on another 100 lbs. + but this is Emery's first pick so he'll get a pass with a bit of questioning. - 1060Ivy
<!--quoteo(post=114796:date=Sep 22 2010, 12:23 PM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Sep 22 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=114780:date=Sep 22 2010, 11:51 AM:name=rok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rok @ Sep 22 2010, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=114777:date=Sep 22 2010, 11:40 AM:name=BT)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BT @ Sep 22 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->right, but his walk rate seems much worse this year, even after this late great stretch, than it has been in the past. For instance, if he has 2 more outings identical to last nights, he will have walked the exact same amount of guys he walked in 2008, but he will have done it in 60 fewer innings. That's a massive difference.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
His walk rate is definitely high, but early on in the season, he was giving up more hits than usual, not BB. That's why his WHIP jumped into the 1.5-2 range for much of the season. Only recently did he start allowing fewer hits (and walking batters at a higher clip simultaneously). Bottom line is, it hasn't been pretty, but Z has always been an effective pitcher. Some pitchers are like that (Marmol is another example) where their peripherals can tell many stories, but they still manage to get the job done. It's hard to explain, but numbers do lie at times.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But Marmol is the exception that proves the rule. Yes, Marmol gives up quite a few walks per 9 innings, but that is more than offset by his freakish other numbers. He is currently letting up less than 5 hits per 9 innings, so his WHIP for the year is a manageable 1.22. Even more helpful is his strikeouts. Randy Johnson is the current leader in MLB history for K/9 innings. He struck out 10.6 guys every 9 innings. Carlos Marmol is striking out 15.6 batters per 9 innings. He is off the charts. In fact, since he has moved to the bullpen, he has never finished with a k/9 ratio under 11.3. That is why he can afford all of those walks. Because everyone he doesn't walk is striking out.

That being said, it's not just that he is letting up too many hits. As BZ pointed out, that can be explained by an unusually large BABIP. With any luck, that will come down as his BABIP comes down. But not only is Zambrano's 2010 H/9 the worst in his career (full season), but his BB/9 are his worst, and his BB/K are his worst.

His last 6 starts give me hope that he has turned this around, but again, if he goes into next year and continues to walk guys at this clip, without a decrease in BABIP or an increase in k/9, he isn't going to be as successful as we need him to be.

by which of course I mean we should give him away so he can win 16 games with another team.
Well, that was sort of my point. Somewhere in those numbers is an outlier (most likely his H/9, as his BB/9 isn't dramatically greater than his 5 year average), that should correct itself next season if he's given a full year to straighten himself out. This is the problem with looking at slices of data over partial seasons, especially considering all of the drama that has occurred. It's impossible to know how Z would have performed over 30 starts, but I'm inclined to believe that while he wouldn't have been great, he still would be a lot closer to his career averages than what he showed earlier in the season.
7 shut out innings puts Zambrano at 10-6 and 3.36. He's having one of his best seasons ever.

Shouldn't be a surprise. He's good. Always has been.
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=115452:date=Sep 28 2010, 07:09 AM:name=veryzer)-->QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 28 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->7 shut out innings puts Zambrano at 10-6 and 3.36. He's having one of his best seasons ever.

Shouldn't be a surprise. He's good. Always has been.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I want to believe that this is how Z would be pitching in September if we were in contention and whether or not he'd ever been suspended and put through anger management training. I just can't know. The pressure is off the season and he has something personal to prove. I love that he's pitching well but can it be taken at face value?
<!--quoteo(post=115454:date=Sep 28 2010, 07:13 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 28 2010, 07:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=115452:date=Sep 28 2010, 07:09 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 28 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->7 shut out innings puts Zambrano at 10-6 and 3.36. He's having one of his best seasons ever.

Shouldn't be a surprise. He's good. Always has been.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I want to believe that this is how Z would be pitching in September if we were in contention and whether or not he'd ever been suspended and put through anger management training. I just can't know. The pressure is off the season and he has something personal to prove. I love that he's pitching well but can it be taken at face value?

He's pitched well in the playoffs. That should be good enough right?
Wang.
This is all so shocking to me. A guy with Z's career numbers actually pitching well after a rough start? Unfuckingbelievable.

They need to leave Z alone and stop trying to turn into something that he is not, ie a saint or a relief pitcher.
And let me add that while I'm very happy with Z's improvement, and his ERA and wins are nice for a partial season, he still needs to get his BB down before I think of him as his old self again. Still though, he needs to stay put because we aren't replacing him. I don't care what his salary is. He's still a solid #2.
<!--quoteo(post=115458:date=Sep 28 2010, 08:25 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 28 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->This is all so shocking to me. A guy with Z's career numbers actually pitching well after a rough start? Unfuckingbelievable.

They need to leave Z alone and stop trying to turn into something that he is not, ie a saint or a relief pitcher.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Preach it Brother!
Wang.
<!--quoteo(post=115454:date=Sep 28 2010, 06:13 AM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Sep 28 2010, 06:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=115452:date=Sep 28 2010, 07:09 AM:name=veryzer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (veryzer @ Sep 28 2010, 07:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->7 shut out innings puts Zambrano at 10-6 and 3.36. He's having one of his best seasons ever.

He's 24-12 with a 3.39 ERA in his career in September and October, and as Tom alluded to, he's been very good in his last few playoff starts. He even threw that no-hitter in September two years ago before we went to the playoffs.
@TheBlogfines
See I don't understand this high/low pressure business. The pressure and media scrutiny on Z has never been greater than over the course of this particular season. Either he pitched better or his career was over. How can the stakes be any higher short of a World Series/playoff start?
<!--quoteo(post=115468:date=Sep 28 2010, 10:44 AM:name=rok)-->QUOTE (rok @ Sep 28 2010, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->See I don't understand this high/low pressure business. The pressure and media scrutiny on Z has never been greater than over the course of this particular season. Either he pitched better or his career was over. How can the stakes be any higher short of a World Series/playoff start?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll buy that.

I hate Jim Hendry. I don't necessarily want him to suffer...but I do want him gone.
another good outing by Z, an into trouble in the 7th but still only gave up 2, walked 3 and struck out 5...
Zambrano finishes the season with a 3.33 ERA. His lowest since 2005. Who saw that coming?
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
<!--quoteo(post=115928:date=Oct 2 2010, 10:19 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Oct 2 2010, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Zambrano finishes the season with a 3.33 ERA. His lowest since 2005. Who saw that coming?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tommy.
He's always been good.
Wang.