Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
Well, over the past 2 seasons, this out of the box type thinking has gotten a lot of people in this organization in trouble, except for Hendry.
<!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't believe that for a second...I think they were trying to right a ship that had started out on a bad course.

They were thinking out of the box...something everyone here does on a constant basis.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I'm sure they thought it was a good move. They just happened to be wrong.

And let's not forget how apoplectic you were about this when it first went down. I'm pretty sure you said you were done with the Cubs.
<!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't believe that for a second...I think they were trying to right a ship that had started out on a bad course.

They were thinking out of the box...something everyone here does on a constant basis.

And let's not forget how apoplectic you were about this when it first went down. I'm pretty sure you said you were done with the Cubs.

I love Z...I hated the move.

I disagree with the idea that it was rooted in evil...or even ineptitude.

And...I believe you just shit on the underpinnings of the show, Fuckface.
<!--quoteo(post=108182:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think the decision was evil -- just idiotic.
<!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:57 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But at least they did something. If Z had been lights out in his setup role, and the offense wouldn't have tanked. We'd be apploading Jim for his courage to send an All-star to the bullpen for the betterment of the entire team.
<!--quoteo(post=108183:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108182:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it was evil or idiotic...and, I'm also not assuming that I can understand facts I can't see.
<!--quoteo(post=108184:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM:name=vitaminB)-->QUOTE (vitaminB @ Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

But at least they did something. If Z had been lights out in his setup role, and the offense wouldn't have tanked. We'd be apploading Jim for his courage to send an All-star to the bullpen for the betterment of the entire team.
And if Aaron Miles hit .300/.380/.500 last year, we'd all be applauding Jim for a savvy free agent signing.
<!--quoteo(post=108185:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:04 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108183:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108182:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it was evil or idiotic...and, I'm also not assuming that I can understand facts I can't see.
If you can't see it, your eyes are closed.
I don't think the decision was evil or idiotic either, but it was definitely high risk / low reward, given the players involved. And the unintended consequences were not at all surprising to most observers.
<!--quoteo(post=108188:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:05 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108185:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:04 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108183:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108182:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 10:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108180:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108177:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108176:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->The bottom line is that it was a knee-jerk, reactionary move at the very best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you can't see it, your eyes are closed.

If you can see it, you're omniscient...
<!--quoteo(post=108173:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:49 AM:name=Rappster)-->QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108170:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:44 AM:name=jstraw)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jstraw @ Jul 27 2010, 09:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108165:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:41 AM:name=Rappster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rappster @ Jul 27 2010, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->If Z doesn't handle it like a professional, that's on him...<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Bullshit.

Ballplayers are people...with personalities and histories. They're also rich, egotistical, talented people. This is part of the reality in which managers and GMs must function. Doing something that won't work because of the people involved and then rationalizing it based on how some generic individual should behave is the very definition of obtuse.

Bullshit back...you've decided that this wouldn't work, based on your own (outside) assumptions of the inside story. There are professionals in every sport who know how to manage their egos, and those who don't...you've assumed that everyone knew this wouldn't work, were motivated to do it by some darker force, and didn't care about the effect on the franchise.

I just think you're wrong.

Acually, that's not what I think. Darker forces? No. Don't care? No.

Just stupid.
And round and round we go. I don't for a minute think this was a knee jerk type of thing or anything set in motion by malice. I think this was a decision made because the roster that had been put together was top heavy as shit with no protection in the bullpen other than Marmol, and shit knows with his mechanics his arm may fly right off his body.

Was he being shopped last offseason? I am sure he was. Something didn't feel right about him last year and I think that if the right deal would have come along the cubs would have gladly sent him packing (if he would waive his NTC). But I'm not sure this move was totally calculated to get him pissed enough to waive his clause. I think it was a move out of desperation because Hendry couldn't find a reliever worth a shit on the market and at that specific time, he and Lou obviously didn't know how effective Marshall could be in the role and how effective Cashner would be coming up and into the 7th inning type role. In their minds, they had to be thinking this was a bandaid for a more severe wound, but maybe, just maybe it would be lightening in a bottle with his skill set and in a role where you need to just be filthy.

Mentally thinking he could handle it...8, 9 years in the league, grow up ass hole. Do what's best for your team. But of course you knew he wouldn't. Regardless, I don't think this was out of spite or malice or anything, it was out of desperation and turning to your long time ace to try and plug a leak until it could be permanently fixed.
Dylan McKay is my hero
<!--quoteo(post=108153:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:29 AM:name=Butcher)-->QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Let me ask you guys a few questions.

On April 21, who was the worst starter in the Cubs 2010 rotation? Zambrano
On April 21, which starting pitcher had the best shot at shoring up the Cubs 8th inning problems? Zambrano.

Given those 2 facts, you have to come up with a reason NOT to take Zambrano out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes. On April 21, Zambrano was absolutely the worst starter in the Cubs 2010 rotation. Silva and Gorz's two starts were fucking outstanding. In fact, they deserved the 2-start Cy Young award. They were that good.

I'll set aside Zambrano's emotional volatility for a moment and the reason is simple: you don't make decisions like this based on two starts. You don't give Gorz/Silva/Wells 130 more innings than Zambrano based on two starts. There's your reason.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The problem with that line of thinking is that the Cubs DID take his career into account. Not his 2007 season, but his 2009 season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Other than his IP, his 2009 season was practically identical to his 2007 season. Did they take Gorz and Silva's 2009 seasons into account at all? Or just their first two starts of the 2010 season?

AGAIN, Gorz and Silva's 2009 don't enter into it. The ONLY reason Z's 2009 enters into it is because that is the ONLY FUCKING REASON to not yank him from the rotation. 2010 stats clearly showed that Z was the worst. According to you guys, his 2009 stats should have convinced Hendry to overlook his bad start to 2010. I am telling you that Hendry DID look at 2009, and clearly he wasn't impressed. YOU might think his 2009 was sunshine and buttercups, but Hendry, Rothschild and Piniella clearly saw something over the last 2 years that led them to believe moving him to the bullpen wasn't only logical, but NECESSARY in hopes of turning Z around. My guess is that his decreasing velocity, which doesn't necessarily show up in the stats, had a lot to do with it.

Also, I'm not sure the "Z was too crazy to take out of the rotation" guys are wrong, but the idea that we need to build our rotation based on not hurting feelings seems like the kind of things a BAD organization would do, not a good one.
I wish that I believed in Fate. I wish I didn't sleep so late. I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders.
<!--quoteo(post=108193:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:12 AM:name=willis)-->QUOTE (willis @ Jul 27 2010, 10:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->And round and round we go. I don't for a minute think this was a knee jerk type of thing or anything set in motion by malice. I think this was a decision made because the roster that had been put together was top heavy as shit with no protection in the bullpen other than Marmol, and shit knows with his mechanics his arm may fly right off his body.

Was he being shopped last offseason? I am sure he was. Something didn't feel right about him last year and I think that if the right deal would have come along the cubs would have gladly sent him packing (if he would waive his NTC). But I'm not sure this move was totally calculated to get him pissed enough to waive his clause. I think it was a move out of desperation because Hendry couldn't find a reliever worth a shit on the market and at that specific time, he and Lou obviously didn't know how effective Marshall could be in the role and how effective Cashner would be coming up and into the 7th inning type role. In their minds, they had to be thinking this was a bandaid for a more severe wound, but maybe, just maybe it would be lightening in a bottle with his skill set and in a role where you need to just be filthy.

Mentally thinking he could handle it...8, 9 years in the league, grow up ass hole. Do what's best for your team. But of course you knew he wouldn't. Regardless, I don't think this was out of spite or malice or anything, it was out of desperation and turning to your long time ace to try and plug a leak until it could be permanently fixed.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The next person that says it wasn't out of malice is going to be told they need to learn to fucking read.
<!--quoteo(post=108194:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:18 AM:name=BT)-->QUOTE (BT @ Jul 27 2010, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=108153:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:29 AM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jul 27 2010, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE <!--quotec-->Let me ask you guys a few questions.

On April 21, who was the worst starter in the Cubs 2010 rotation? Zambrano
On April 21, which starting pitcher had the best shot at shoring up the Cubs 8th inning problems? Zambrano.

Given those 2 facts, you have to come up with a reason NOT to take Zambrano out.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yes. On April 21, Zambrano was absolutely the worst starter in the Cubs 2010 rotation. Silva and Gorz's two starts were fucking outstanding. In fact, they deserved the 2-start Cy Young award. They were that good.

I'll set aside Zambrano's emotional volatility for a moment and the reason is simple: you don't make decisions like this based on two starts. You don't give Gorz/Silva/Wells 130 more innings than Zambrano based on two starts. There's your reason.

<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->The problem with that line of thinking is that the Cubs DID take his career into account. Not his 2007 season, but his 2009 season.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Other than his IP, his 2009 season was practically identical to his 2007 season. Did they take Gorz and Silva's 2009 seasons into account at all? Or just their first two starts of the 2010 season?

AGAIN, Gorz and Silva's 2009 don't enter into it. The ONLY reason Z's 2009 enters into it is because that is the ONLY FUCKING REASON to not yank him from the rotation. 2010 stats clearly showed that Z was the worst. According to you guys, his 2009 stats should have convinced Hendry to overlook his bad start to 2010. I am telling you that Hendry DID look at 2009, and clearly he wasn't impressed. YOU might think his 2009 was sunshine and buttercups, but Hendry, Rothschild and Piniella clearly saw something over the last 2 years that led them to believe moving him to the bullpen wasn't only logical, but NECESSARY in hopes of turning Z around. My guess is that his decreasing velocity, which doesn't necessarily show up in the stats, had a lot to do with it.

Also, I'm not sure the "Z was too crazy to take out of the rotation" guys are wrong, but the idea that we need to build our rotation based on not hurting feelings seems like the kind of things a BAD organization would do, not a good one.

I'd put it terms of pretending your crazy, fragile, $18mil pitcher wasn't going to melt down in the face of what to him was a demotion. Pointing out that he shouldn't be crazy or fragile is kind of pointless.