Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zambrano
ESPNews reports that the Cubs won't activate Zambrano until after the break.
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->CHICAGO -- After consulting with Major League Baseball, the players union and the agent for pitcher Carlos Zambrano, the Chicago Cubs announced on Monday a collective agreement between all parties that will allow Zambrano to be removed from the suspended list and placed on the restricted list on Tuesday.

The Cubs don't anticipate Zambrano being activated until after the All-Star break at the earliest.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Monday that Zambrano and his agent have not asked for the right-hander to be traded or released by the team.

Zambrano has been suspended by the team since Friday, when he threw a tirade in the dugout that led to a verbal confrontation with teammate Derrek Lee.

Beginning Tuesday, Zambrano will be paid and has agreed to go through a treatment program that will have him away from the team until at least July 15 -- when the Cubs host the Phillies after the All-Star break.

The groups collectively agreed to find independent doctors to evaluate Zambrano and provide treatment following the evaluation. During this evaluation period, and during any type of therapy, Zambrano will not have any contact with his Cubs teammates.

Zambrano had contact with Hendry on Monday and was remorseful about his dugout tirade at U.S. Cellular Field.

Manager Lou Piniella has stated that Zambrano will go into the bullpen when he returns to the 25-man roster. Once Zambrano is moved to the restricted list, Jeff Stevens will be called up to fill his roster spot.

Zambrano surrendered four runs to the Chicago White Sox in the top of the first, then began screaming in the dugout, knocking over a Gatorade cooler before getting in the face of Lee. Piniella then sent Zambrano home, and Hendry suspended him indefinitely.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This whole situation keeps getting weirder and weirder.
This episode is embarrassing as a fan. I don't see the point of all this unless Ricketts is trying to salvage something out of his investment and is unwilling to dump any payroll whatsoever.
Is Ricketts back from Africa?
There's nothing better than to realize that the good things about youth don't end with youth itself. It's a matter of realizing that life can be renewed every day you get out of bed without baggage. It's tough to get there, but it's better than the dark thoughts. -Lance
Treatment? Give me a fucking break.
I'm 100% fine with this. I'm just glad there's an actual plan in place that isn't, "Let's load up on retreads and hope we get lucky." I'm a little tired of that plan.

Butcher
It's pretty fucked up that no one has spoken to him directly since Friday. The front office has got to be trying hard to unload him before his "treatment" is complete, otherwise why the silent treatment unless Z has already moved on?
http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/4293
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->“Jim’s been in touch with Carlos’ agent, and I think he plans on talking to Carlos personally,” said manager Lou Piniella in the dugout a few minutes ago. The nameplate is still above Carlos’ locker in the clubhouse, but of course, he’s not been around because of the indefinite suspension. We may know something by the bottom of the hour.

Teammate Alfonso Soriano said Z will have some explaining and some apologizing to do. Sori said he called Z again last night, but that “the phone was off.”

“We’re friends,” Sori said. “It happened on Friday, and he’s my friend. I’ve got to talk to him and see everything about why he did that.

“Right now, we’re not paying attention to him. We’ve got a lot of things to do and a lot of things to think about and not think about Zambrano. In a couple hours, we have a game.

“I think that he needs to apologize. What he did, it’s not good for the team and not good for everybody because he did it in front of the cameras, in front of a lot of people. I think he needs to explain what he did on Friday.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/mlb/ne...id=5336478
<!--quoteo-->QUOTE <!--quotec-->"I think that's up to him," Dempster said Monday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "When you do those things and react the way he did you have to be the one to stand up and go out there and accept responsibility. I think he will be willing to do that but we'll have to wait and see. I can't make speculations because I don't know what's going to happen. Whatever happens, happens and we're just worried about going out and winning the ball game tonight."<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This is becoming downright tragic.
So when I'm at Wrigley on July 15th, do I boo him if he comes out of the pen?
I hate my pretentious sounding username too.
Maybe we can get Fuk put on the batshit list too. I can't understand a thing the guy says. I think he needs treatment.
<!--quoteo(post=103478:date=Jun 28 2010, 08:39 PM:name=jstraw)-->QUOTE (jstraw @ Jun 28 2010, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Maybe we can get Fuk put on the batshit list too. I can't understand a thing the guy says. I think he needs treatment.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Horry Kow?
<!--quoteo(post=103458:date=Jun 28 2010, 06:35 PM:name=KBwsb)-->QUOTE (KBwsb @ Jun 28 2010, 06:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103455:date=Jun 28 2010, 05:18 PM:name=Ace)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ace @ Jun 28 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec--><!--quoteo(post=103427:date=Jun 28 2010, 02:55 PM:name=Butcher)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Butcher @ Jun 28 2010, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Again, I only follow one team this closely, but it seems like every little dispute gets played out in front of the public. Why the hell did we know about Sammy's boombox in the first place? Why did we know that he left the clubhouse early? It seems like when a player is pissed, he's all too happy to voice his displeasure to the media. And the same goes for Hendry. I mean, did you read him going on and on about Zambrano? If he's really going to be on the trade block at some point, wouldn't Hendry think ahead a few weeks before opening his mouth?<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To the latter issue, it's because Hendry is all about protecting Hendry. His job and his reputation.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Every GM has his own personality quirks, both good and bad, but I've always been perplexed by Hendry's strategy of trying to ruin the reputation of a player RIGHT before he tries to trade him. Yeah, I guess from a PR standpoint he might gain a tiny bit of positive press for it, but the other side of it is that he's grossly devalued the commodity.

If you were going to sell your car, would you take an ad out in the paper that said,
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->"This car sucks. It breaks down all the time, the wheels fall off at inopportune times, it's hard as hell to steer, and I fucking hate it."<!--colorc-->
<!--/colorc--> ?
And if you did, would you expect to get the same value from its sale than if you <i>didn't</i> belittle it?
This seems like common sense, right?
The only possible explanation is that Ace's post is correct.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If your car was nationally famous and broke down on a TV broadcast, I don't think it would really matter.
Yeah, I think there are basically 3 examples of this: Sosa, Bradley, & Zambrano.

Bradley & Zambrano were not cases where Hendry could really lower their value. Everything that had happened was already public.

Yes, I think he lowered Sosa's value by releasing that Sosa lied about when he left Wrigley. At the same time, he also had to make the thought of trading Sosa palatable to Cubs fans. A few months before, that had been almost inconceivable.

The "Hendry kills trade values" theme is overblown at best.
This is not some silly theory that's unsupported and deserves being mocked by photos of Xena.  [Image: ITgoyeg.png]
I'm not a big fan of the argument where Hendry blasting these guys can't do any harm because everyone has the stats and has seen the videos. That doesn't take into account the public announcement that he's so desperate to dump these players that he'll take it in the ass to get a deal done.
<!--quoteo(post=103482:date=Jun 28 2010, 09:02 PM:name=Kid)-->QUOTE (Kid @ Jun 28 2010, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}><!--quotec-->Yeah, I think there are basically 3 examples of this: Sosa, Bradley, & Zambrano.

Bradley & Zambrano were not cases where Hendry could really lower their value. Everything that had happened was already public.

Yes, I think he lowered Sosa's value by releasing that Sosa lied about when he left Wrigley. <b> At the same time, he also had to make the thought of trading Sosa palatable to Cubs fans. A few months before, that had been almost inconceivable.</b>

The "Hendry kills trade values" theme is overblown at best.<!--QuoteEnd--><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Good point.